Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Finally able to find some time to get out on sunday - waters are getting real cold
my wet suit set up kept my body warm but I dont like wearing a hood and was tough to
keep my face with mask in the water - had to stand up and let it thaw in the sun now and then
and when I went out to my limits - now and then I'd catch a swell that was over my head and it would
run down my back into my suit and give me a shock but i prevailed
Got into first spot about 1 1/2 hrs before low tide - was slow going - I had 3 old time bathing cap snap pieces
after the first 1/2 hr and a few pieces of junk ( those brass snaps are a good sign though)
finally I got a mercury dime and old spoon then a silver religious medal - caked
Close to low tide - I went out as far as I could - I got a nice signal in a sandy spot - scooped - looked down and all i could see in te bottom
of my scoop was a huge Quahog clam - I pulled it out and was surprised to see gold sitting under it
I gave it a quick look and placed it in my pouch - i got my one and was happy
finds were far and few between - i tried left - right - deep - shallow trying to find a spot with targets
-I did come up with a huge old junk signet - i was hpoing it was discolor 10k but no - brass
tide was coming in - Iwas getting slightly chilled so I headed in to waist deep where i could
get warmed up - I got a few signals near a huge rock - I thought they might be sinkers
I dug down and hit rocks - I fanned with my boot and tried clearing some of the larger ones
I scooped and came up with an old bathing suit buckle - rechecked and got another good signal - dug thru the rocks and came
up with another brass bathing suit buckle - (always a good sign ) - moved a little ways away - got another good signal
scooped and got yet another brass suit buckle . Started working around that spot better. i got a faint signal
I fanned down about a foot and rechecked - signal sounded real good ,but thought it might be a sinker - especially when
I tried scooping and hit a rock bed - i fanned and could see 3 good size rocks - i got my toe under one and lifted it out of the whole
then fanned some more - looked down and just saw rock after rock - tried to scoop but lip kept slipping off the rocks
I fanned again hard and blew some rocks and material out and moved one of the other big rocks - I just kept thinking
"I/m busting my butt for a sinker" - I was about 1 1/2 feet down - i gave it one more scoop but could only get a little bit of material into my scoop
I rechecked and to my surprise i had target in my scoop - was more surprised when I looked in and saw old gold signet in the bottom.
i worked around a little more - got old fork down just as deep and in deep rock bed too .
My girlfriend came out and waved to me - told to come and get me so i could drive to another spot before sunset .
didnt get a ton of targets - i believe there are more gold out in deep water and possibly more down deep in the shallows - I will return here.
nov11cas.JPG nov11ca.JPG
first ring turned out to be a cool looking 1931 class ring
nov11casp.jpg other old gold signet - really worn nov11sig.JPG

I drove to the next spot to hit for a few hours before sunset - once again finds were slow
I headed out far - I was about 100 yrds from shore - i had gotten a few gold rings and some silver coins out there before
i moved to an area where i got gold seal ring in Oct. when i got sick in the water
I hit a few sinkers - good sign i had not gone over that spot
I got a faint signal and scooped down and got a crusty silver quarter - then nothing for a while
then I hit a spot that had some large encrusted iron objects - to big to carry in - then I got one I was able to pick up - was about the size of my hand
nov11pmjunk.JPG
Close by I got another large signal - I checked it in ID mode expecting to get an iron tone but was surpised to get
a high tone which is good on the CZ21- scooped and was surprised to see large encrusted disc in my scoop - a silver half!
did not get much after that - sun was setting - hit a small blown out area that i got 4 wheat pennies in - thought I might
be in a hot spot - but nothing else was around it - I still think there is more goodies out there too - I will return
still a couple of gold early and some silver to end the day - i was happy
nov11pmcas.JPG nov11pm.JPG

oh yea - found this huge crank out at 2nd spot too - way out - dont know if it to a sail boat or
down rigger or what - has LEWMAR stamped into it - was cover with shells and barnicles when I pulled it up
nov11pmcrank.JPG

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Bigpoppa

Feb 11, 2012
Dirty Jerzee
Detector(s) used
ML Excal II
ML Sov GT
Compass 77B
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
It is always amazing to see the incredible stuff you dig time and time again up there in those cold waters..

CONGRATS on some kickazz and cool finds...

I love the New Bedford ring :)

hamiddetecting

Gold Member
Feb 22, 2012
North Pole
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT and Excalibur II, Whites, Garrett, Fisher, Alert, MD,Cscope,Tesoro, Compas, XP, Long Rs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I congratulate on these finds!!

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Enjoyed the story and the Pic's, Congrads on the Treasure, very nice.

CoinFetcher

Bronze Member
Apr 29, 2012
Left coast
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Love to treasure hunt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
haha, nice crank.

anyone ever hunt boat launches at low tide? We have huge tide swings here in Washington, and detecting them might be very nice. I have lot a crank before - and know people loose their watches/rings tieing up ECT.

gold nuggets

Bronze Member
Apr 5, 2008
Springfield, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE, Pro coil inline probe. Also the Excal II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great story and some interesting finds.
Congrats on the gold rings..nicely done.
Gold Nuggets :hello:

jim/wpb

Apr 2, 2008
West Palm Beach
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT, F75SE, Excalibur, Whites Dual Field, Aqua Sound
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
If water is under 80, I gotta get out the 3mm. Passion I guess. Great finds. The old rings are really great to see.

Mainelypulltab

Aug 26, 2011
New England
Detector(s) used
Excal II
Congrats on the rings and your other finds. The story really makes an interesting read. I know the lake waters here are getting chilly quick. I went to the ocean last weekend and hit the aluminum line. Hopefully I will be able to dive this weekend if the back is healed up. Congrats again on some nice finds.

OP
OP
CASPER-2

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Water temps are around 48-50
its worth the chill if you get finds - there are times where all I come away with is a case of the shivers
and its tough to want to jump back in

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread