All Treasure Hunting

Swartzie

Mar 15, 2009
Tuscarawas County, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Sounds like a real nice place especially since it's all grown over. I would wait until late fall/early winter to do any serious hunting. But, you still may be able to find some clear spots now to swing a coil. Good luck. I'm sure that place is pretty well loaded.

-Swartzie

SirJoey

Aug 9, 2010
Aboard a UFO, hovering over South Carolina...
Detector(s) used
White's Classic 5 ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Sounds like the back acre of MY property. I'm waiting for cold weather, mainly for fear of snakes.

The Lord Is My Shepherd!
sirjoeysigmedij1.gif

lastleg

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2008
Take heart, there is a way to remove big weed bushes. Get a Craftsman
branch lopper and cut the stalks close to the ground.

OP
OP
m bryan

m bryan

Jun 12, 2010
east texas
Detector(s) used
Delta 4000 and Garrett 300 Teknetics T2 Minelab Explorer SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tried to get in there today but just no room to swing a coil. Tree limbs out of the big oak tree everywhere. Ground was very hard.....Found a couple rusty bolt heads and a wheat penney with the date gone.......I must regroup and try again later...

truckinbutch

Silver Member
Feb 15, 2008
Morgantown,WV
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Landstar
m bryan said:
Tried to get in there today but just no room to swing a coil. Tree limbs out of the big oak tree everywhere. Ground was very hard.....Found a couple rusty bolt heads and a wheat penney with the date gone.......I must regroup and try again later...
Low ground cover , weeds/grass , can be defeated with a 3x4 piece of 3/8" plywood . Cut a hand
hole in center of one long edge to make it easy to carry to site . Throw it down on a spot , step on it to
mash the vegetation and detect through it .

Old Town

Aug 18, 2010
Key West
Detector(s) used
Fisher, Whites, Tesoro
Or like Jimmy Stewart said in Shenandoah, "Burn it, burn the train!"

Of course you'll be burning the scrub brush. A train you can roll out of the way.

OT

OP
OP
m bryan

m bryan

Jun 12, 2010
east texas
Detector(s) used
Delta 4000 and Garrett 300 Teknetics T2 Minelab Explorer SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There's a burn ban on here.......my luck I would burn Atlanta..lol.....Butch, the plywood thing sounds interesting...

deepskyal

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2007
Natrona Heights, Pa.
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster 6000 Di Series 3, Minelab Eq 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
There's a place I'd like to detect but gave up the idea because I can't clear the vegetation and it's extremely dense.

Waiting til winter/fall may help some but the leaves will fall from some but things like goldenrod, ragweed, wild blackberries, etc. have thick stalks and stand through the winter.

I bought a brush cutter attachment for my gas powered weed wacker. It's a steel blade much like an edger. Actually, I bought the new weedwacker so I could use the attachment. It works pretty good but not great in a dense area. You still get thick stalks that like to wrap around the head and stall it.

But, you can do small areas at a time. Don't get over-zealous and try weedwacking a large area...you'll just get frustrated and tired. Do a 4x4 or 6x6 area, then slowly detect it.

Think of it as a way of gridding the area as you detect. You won't miss much ground that way.

And a side note if you choose to use the brush cutter, use the strap!. I never used one for regular weedwacking, but brushcutting is a bit tougher.

One other easier method I used. I bought an old mower and cut out part of the front of the deck and the side chutes and it became a brush hog. The blade was expose about an inch in the front and opening up the dischage chutes kept it from clogging. Actually made a 2nd discharge chute on the opposite side of the other but both were large. It was a cheapie and light weight, easy to maneuver. I cut cat-tails down with it and it worked great getting very close to the ground and not choking up.

They may even be pleased if you make it look pretty again. :thumbsup:

Good luck with it, sounds like a great site.

Al

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have sprayed areas I have permission to kill hedge and stuff. I use an electric sprayer with commercial spray from the co-op. Really cleans up the land of brushy under growth. Maybe the land ownner will approve. :sign13:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread