BU 1960-D Small Date double die update........Major error???

Paul in WA

Oct 22, 2005
Washington State
Detector(s) used
DFX
I was looking at the rolls of BU 1960_D small dates I got when I was down in Reno so I could get 2 mailed out to some fellow forum members (sorry it took so long guys....been spread too thin lately). I came across this one pictured. Part of Linclons head has flaked off, and there are 2 more places that have this same lamination that hasn't come loose yet. I have not even really begun to take a serious look at these coins yet ( 2 rolls still haven't been opened) As soon as I get some sutiable golves & a good loupe to look with,I will go through them.........Any ideas ,or opinions? Should I send it out to get graded?

Paul

Attachments

• 1960-D_small_date_BU 007 (Large).jpg
    1960-D_small_date_BU 007 (Large).jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 575
  • 1960-D_small_date_BU 0141 copy (Large).jpg
    1960-D_small_date_BU 0141 copy (Large).jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 1,164
Upvote 0

Immy

Silver Member
Mar 12, 2005
Vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a textbook lamination error and just about as extreme as they get while still retaining the cleaved-off portion. Nice find!

OP
OP
Paul in WA

Paul in WA

Oct 22, 2005
Washington State
Detector(s) used
DFX
Thanks Bob! I am anxious to see the other rolls that I haven't opened yet. I am going to buy some gloves tomorrow for the task. As you can see from the pictures, there seems to be a whole lot of errors on this coin. I am hoping the the coin that the chunk that caused this is in one of the rolls. Do the major grading services even grade error coins? I thought I saw some where in a post here that one of them won't .

Paul

OP
OP
Paul in WA

Paul in WA

Oct 22, 2005
Washington State
Detector(s) used
DFX
Immy said:
That's a textbook lamination error and just about as extreme as they get while still retaining the cleaved-off portion. Nice find!

That cleaved-off portion is even still attached!

Paul

Emperor Findus Cladius

Bronze Member
Sep 2, 2004
TX
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision/V3 Spectra, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If I remember my error coins right, laminations are not caused by another coin, they are a defect in the metal of the individual planchets themselves, basically the metal starts flaking off. When I was a kid I used to look for this type of error, and found a few, but none to the extreme you have. I would suggest searching the net a little bit to see if it would pay to have it slabbed or not. If it is only worth a few bucks it might not pay to have it done. Very nice find.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread