Bucket lister find! Fur trade period silver Claddagh ring.

Aureus

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2016
Eastern Canada
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Decided to check again my new spot in the woods where I found the awesome Patriotic button. There's a small hill in the middle of it I wanted to explore so decided to go straight there since I only had 4 hours to hunt. Was a bit disapointed at first as the targets were scarce and I didn't find any buttons or coins. After about 2 hours got a deep jumpy signal. Couldn't believe my eyes when this beauty came out.

20171003_145905.jpg
20171003_182938.jpg
20171003_225333.jpg
20171003_192805.jpg

I knew the place was old as I have found some 1700's coppers but never thought I would find relics of this age and quality. I was in such disbelief that I started looking into the rim trying to spot a hallmark of any kind and of course there was none. Super happy with this find, always wanted to get one of those early Claddagh silver rings or a Fur Trade period silver ring of any kind :)

Found a similar ring at National Park service website.

68630274-155D-4519-3E771E67D14432B6-large (1).jpg

https://www.nps.gov/media/photo/gallery.htm?id=685AA9AF-155D-4519-3E0D7520F2E6B364

I sure hope this spot has some more surprises for me but even if it won't I'm extremely happy with the quality of the relics I managed to find there already.

A nice little hunt.

P.S. Just to prevent any confusion over its size and thickness I include a pic of the ring next to a copper Fur Trade period ring I have previously found.
20171003_224713.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 39

K1DDO1979

Silver Member
Feb 8, 2014
Peggy's Cove, Nova Scotia
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Fisher F75 Ltd SE 2 & Fisher F2 with 11"DD
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Finding one of those is now added to my ever growing bucket list. HaHa
Amazing find and congrats! [emoji2][emoji106]

OP
OP
Aureus

Aureus

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2016
Eastern Canada
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Got more news about the ring. A known relics hunter from Ohio confirmed it being 18th century as an almost exact silver ring was found on a spot of a Native village that burned down in 1700's.

Also found a reference to Rocky Mountain house National historic site museum that has an example of that ring from the late 18th early 19th century site. At this point, I believe it's safe to say the ring dates to mid 18th century and was used among other things in the trade with Native Americans.

20171015_124924.png

K1DDO1979

Silver Member
Feb 8, 2014
Peggy's Cove, Nova Scotia
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Fisher F75 Ltd SE 2 & Fisher F2 with 11"DD
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Got more news about the ring. A known relics hunter from Ohio confirmed it being 18th century as an almost exact silver ring was found on a spot of a Native village that burned down in 1700's.

Also found a reference to Rocky Mountain house National historic site museum that has an example of that ring from the late 18th early 19th century site. At this point, I believe it's safe to say the ring dates to mid 18th century and was used among other things in the trade with Native Americans.

View attachment 1504716

Super cool info and ring. Congrats again! [emoji2][emoji106]

Relicific

Silver Member
Feb 2, 2017
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
X terra 705
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

View attachment 1504716

This confirms that your ring is indeed a Silver Fur trade ring.
Banner bump

OP
OP
Aureus

Aureus

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2016
Eastern Canada
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
This confirms that your ring is indeed a Silver Fur trade ring.
Banner bump

Thanks man.
I really believe it does and it seems to be a rarer type. My first silver Fur Trade ring.

ColonialDude

Jul 5, 2004
Canada
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks man.
I really believe it does and it seems to be a rarer type. My first silver Fur Trade ring.

Believe it. Without question a trade silver ring. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Here's one I found from a late 1700's site. Picture sucks but oh well.

DSC06522.jpg

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congratualtions on the nice ring find! :occasion14:

OP
OP
Aureus

Aureus

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2016
Eastern Canada
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Believe it. Without question a trade silver ring. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Here's one I found from a late 1700's site. Picture sucks but oh well.

View attachment 1533811

Thanks for the info and the pic ColonialDude! Today it's pretty clear in my mind it's a trade ring but a few months back I really struggled getting any info on it. It's without a doubt one of my favorite Trade items.

Relicific

Silver Member
Feb 2, 2017
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
X terra 705
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks for the info and the pic ColonialDude! Today it's pretty clear in my mind it's a trade ring but a few months back I really struggled getting any info on it. It's without a doubt one of my favorite Trade items.

Definitely a banner find.

rickb2202

Jan 30, 2015
nuevo mexico
Detector(s) used
whites dfx
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So... Wikipedia says the ring stands for hands joined in faith OR hands joined in loyalty. If I were trading with a group of native people and getting nice furs, I would be happy to hand out these rings and say now we are partners. We will meet here at the same place next year. Very nice find. Congrats

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Anton, even in the winter when I know you’re starving for some detecting action, I’m still very angry at you! How on earth do you find such amazing ****? lol. Just joking about being angry, but you have quite a touch bruddah. Killer find once again!

OP
OP
Aureus

Aureus

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2016
Eastern Canada
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
So... Wikipedia says the ring stands for hands joined in faith OR hands joined in loyalty. If I were trading with a group of native people and getting nice furs, I would be happy to hand out these rings and say now we are partners. We will meet here at the same place next year. Very nice find. Congrats

Thank you rickb2202

housemom6

Jun 7, 2013
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites Quantum XT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As a claddagh collector I'd have freaked out...love it! Great find

housemom6

Jun 7, 2013
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites Quantum XT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The hands are friendship, the heart love and the crown is loyalty. I love them so much

OP
OP
Aureus

Aureus

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2016
Eastern Canada
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Anton, even in the winter when I know you’re starving for some detecting action, I’m still very angry at you! How on earth do you find such amazing ****? lol. Just joking about being angry, but you have quite a touch bruddah. Killer find once again!

Thanks Steve. Yes the ''cold turkey'' is pretty bad this time of year. I will try to keep myself sane for the next season. :laughing7:

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread