Fattony315

May 17, 2013
Up state ny
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So a friend and I hunted down in dutchess county n.y. Hunted a foundation he hunted 8 years ago. First signal at the foundation edge, is a 67 but giving a high tone on the at-pro. At 2 inches a pull out a nail, re scan and 83. About 1 inch down, out pops a copper. image.jpeg wipe it off a bit and I see it's a Connecticut copper. My first state copper. image.jpeg . Hunted for awhile and did not find anything else good. Moved to another spot and picked up an 1809 large cent and a few other goodie. Now I know your not suppose to clean coins, but it's my coin, so I put it in peroxide. After about an hour I could see copper color. I never seen a copper in peroxide come out with any color like that. It also had green spots on it that I wanted off. So now I rubbed it a bit with a green pad. It started to show more copper and detail came out more. I am ok with it, but I would like to know why it came out of the peroxide with copper color. All the other coppers turn brown. image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

Upvote 20

Tommy G

Bronze Member
Dec 5, 2015
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Really nice coins! Can't say why the CT came out of the peroxide that way. My experience has been like yours, they usually come out dark like the LC you have there which is pure copper. Maybe the CT has some other metal mixed with the copper? Someone else may chime in with the answer. Congrats on some nice finds!

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Very well done Tony. Congrats on the Ct. copper.

That copper color is puzzling... I have found peroxide turns coppers dark. Looks like electrolysis or perhaps an acid. You got me...

Still a hand full of nice finds.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ouch. Not used peroxide much but when I have I've not seen that effect. Looks more like electrolysis.
Oh well, I hoping its a common variety. But like you say your coin.

I'm guessing these had various metal qualities, which may explain it??

Looks like a good spot to hunt.

CTwoods

Dec 9, 2015
east central Connecticut
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Not that I ever found my own State's copper yet, but I read a lot about the CT coppers a couple years ago...

The web said there were quite a few companies that were contracted to make them, and that was because the companies that took the job, could not make enough, or acceptable quality as far as alloy, or something like that.

I also read about early coppers as far as alloys, and they used all types of fillers to save on pure copper. I have a slick that came out brass color on electrolysis, and that indicates a very high mix of zinc, which changes pure copper to now actually being brass. The web said these brass coins were cooked in some home brew slop to give them a "circulated coin" color to fool people..

So I assume your coin is pure copper?

CTwoods

Dec 9, 2015
east central Connecticut
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Tony, the coin looks nice that way. It looks like some of the undug ones on the net.

While you are into cleaning...he,he... that rectangular buckle thing at bottom center sure looks like it would be sweet if cleaned. Is it a sash buckle or what?

and your smallest button with domed back might be tombac? so I would clean that too LOL Nice mix of early finds!

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice coppers and you got a complete shoe buckle frame too. :icon_thumright: Those are hard to come by. Great hunt.

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II ,XP DEUS, EQUINOX 800, EXCALIBUR II,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice state copper ! Found my first one today too a vermont in North carolina . congrats on some great finds.

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on your first state copper Tony. I would have thought more might come out of that place. It's funny that you pulled the coin literally 1 minute into the hunt. It had us both thinking of a copper coin bonanza but alas... no other coins to be found. We'll have to get back down that way in the near future. I'll try to track down a few more potential sites.

Metal Magnet

Bronze Member
Oct 26, 2010
OH
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 900
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
awesome!!!! love bucket listers.

deershed

Silver Member
Apr 25, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Whites Coin Master Pro, Bounty Hunter Lonestar, Minelab CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweet state copper!! Your more of a gambling man then me, I try cleaning big coppers and they
go to hell. Lol
I found a Conneticut state copper last year and so glad mine came out of the ground looking great.
Congrats on some Great coppers and nice buckle!!

UnderMiner

Silver Member
Jul 27, 2014
New York City
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very cool! One of our Founding Fathers may have once touched it. Undoubtedly it was once owned by at least one person involved in the creation of this nation, even if it were simply a minuteman or a lone patriot with the dream of American independence. :treasurechest::thumbsup:

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The ground was just kind to it. It's clear to tell you used an abrasive on it, but still looks ok, and will likely tone up over time.

Diggin Dude

Silver Member
Apr 6, 2014
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tarsacci MDT 8000
XP DEUS II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds! Connecticut copper still on my bucket list. If you want to turn it back to brown put it in a Ziploc bag with a crushed hard-boiled egg. What you do is you put the hard-boiled egg in a Ziploc bag crush it shell and all, place the coin next to crushed egg, let it sit for half a day or overnight it'll turn it back to brown, try not to let the coin come in contact with the egg it'll make uneven tarnishing.

Nice buckles, buttons and other finds. Congrats and HH

CMDiamonddawg

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2009
Jersey Cape
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1265X & CZ-7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CT copper , relics etc. :skullflag:
What's not to luv ,
great day for sure . :occasion14: