Bronze Member
Apr 20, 2018
Mountain Maryland
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-21, Minelab Equinix 800, ,Garret AT Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
At last the weather has gotten warmer and I can actually dig chunks out of the frozen ground with an occasional partly thawed spot that I don’t need a jack hammer to dig in.

I have been out the past 3 days trying my luck. Monday and Tuesday I went to campus because it has been warmer there longer so I was hoping for easier digging. I managed a decent number of coins, but nothing special. The usual can slaw, tabs, and junk along with a cigarette lighter from a car, some melted lead chunks and an organ reed.

C4B9BF63-1B02-4D72-A67C-A668B623BC2F.jpeg

Today I decided to try closer to home thinking the ground might be better now that we have had a few warm days LOL. No such luck. But I went to the park anyway and started swingin in the rainy mess. The first inch was thawed and muddy, but I was having to put all my weight on the shovel to get it into the ground deeper and I thought I might break my heavy duty shovel prying the plugs from the ground. One of my coin signals was iffy mid tone high tone mixed on the CZ 21 so I thought nickel or slaw. It was about 3 inches down. I pinpointed and used my trowel to cut chunks out of the block and eventually got the green disk out. I thought it might be a copper Lincoln, but when I rubbed it I noticed a wreath on the back so I was happy thinking I had an IHP. They have been kind of scarce recently, I haven’t found an Indian head penny since June. It was muddy and rainy so I put it in my finds box and kept going. When I got home and rubbed it with clean fingers I noticed the wreath looked a little different and there was no shield. I turned it over and wiped it off and realized I had just found my FIRST FLYING EAGLE CENT! Unfortunately during the cutting up of the frozen chunk of dirt I must have grazed it with my trowel or pushed a pebble across the front scratching it. It looks like an 1858. It is a little crusty and beat up, but at least I have one. It took me almost 17 years to find it so on one level I am happy and on another level I am sad.

539EBFF5-B8EC-44F3-9714-516AB287211B.jpeg 8FEABB92-1488-44B6-92CD-D24200952F41.jpeg F7287176-A1FC-4192-B4CB-9566645AE361.jpeg

I almost never hit or damage any coin, or target. Why did I have to mess this one up?

Thanks for looking and may your coil lead you to good things. Also may your ground be soft and easy to dig.

Upvote 30

pa-dirt_nc-sand

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2016
South Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on the FE! I’ve found over 30 IHP’s including a number of fatties, but never an FE.

Inspector

Silver Member
Sep 8, 2014
Finger Lakes Region, Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Nox 600, w/6", Simplex+WHP, Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Toltec, Pro-Find 35
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the find, I feel for you nicking the coin trying to retrieve it, it's really tough when you are popping out blocks of frost trying to recover a find, been there.

Hawks88

Gold Member
Aug 26, 2012
Niagara falls
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Still a nice find. Many of us have damaged our best finds. At least you went out on a cold rainy day and found it other wise you would still be looking for one. Congrats on a great save.

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
sometimes no matter what we do, it is what it is. still it is a flying eagle and a lot of us (ME) have yet to find one. congrats

OP
OP
tnt-hunter

tnt-hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 20, 2018
Mountain Maryland
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks folks. Your encouraging comments are greatly appreciated. I will be out in the same field tomorrow trying to find his twin brother. The chances are slim and none, but you never know what will come out of the ground.

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on your first Flying Eagle. That is a tough coin to find for most people.

OP
OP
tnt-hunter

tnt-hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 20, 2018
Mountain Maryland
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can tell better, but to me that damage looks old. Gary

There is a horizontal scratch that looks old, but the scratches across the date and eagle body are fresh unfortunately.

OP
OP
tnt-hunter

tnt-hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 20, 2018
Mountain Maryland
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a tough coin to find for most people.

It was tough for me also, taking almost 17 years to find. It may be another 17 years before I find another one.

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
tnt, Congrat's on the find of the FE. It is still a great find, scratched or not. As far as finding it's twin brother, well, swinging the coil is "Like a box of chocolates". Forest Gump said it best. Lol Continued Success to you.:icon_thumleft:

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love the flying eagles. None of mine have come out of the ground looking good. It seems to be universal.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great find I think we all have stabbed a dig at one time Live and learn hope you find its brother lol

OP
OP
tnt-hunter

tnt-hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 20, 2018
Mountain Maryland
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So far no luck on the twin brother and with 2 days of snow predicted I may not get out for a while unless I get lucky and get a few hours to hunt on Sunday.

Thanks all for the great input. Keep swingin and praying for spring to arrive.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very nice find, you do not find many of them! :occasion14:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread