Buckhannon River

gmstreet

Jul 29, 2007
Elkins, West Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Anybody got any info on the treasure/s supposedly buried along the Buckhannon river.
I've heard at least two stories. One was that along the Buckhannon river in Randolph county a civil war payroll was stashed. The other was that along the river in or near Buckhannon some gold coins from a holdup were buried. Don't know if either are true, but my Dad owns a farm just north of Buckhannon (down river of town), with a mile of it bordering the Buckhannon river, around 40 acres of "100year" flood plane.

Greg

WV_Detecting

Oct 24, 2005
WV
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
a band of Confederate raiders buried some $300,000 during the Civil War near Rock Cave and near the junction of Bear Camp Run and the left fork of the Buckhannon River. A). Local legend claims that his hoard was a Union Army payroll cached during the Civil War. 3. The following listing is known by a number of various names: Dollhouse, Marzo, Buckhannon River, Upshur County, or Shahan Treasure cache. In 1898, a mysterious Spaniard named Alfonso Marzo came to the area of the Shahan farm on the left fork of the Buckhannon River, about 1 mile downstream from Palace Valley. Marzo built a dollhouse cabin here, then disappeared. In 1911, Shahan received a letter from the Spaniard stating that $330,000 contained in a trunk or chest was cached somewhere on his property. The owner made a search but so far as can be determined, no treasure was ever found

A hoard of treasure is supposedly located in a cave along the old Seneca Trail near the head of the Buckhannon River and adjacent to a mountain on the right-hand side of the stream. This information came to light in some personal papers belonging to the grandfather of Joseph Wilson of Berlin who died in 1868. The search area is just S of Pickens.

COPIED FROM US TREASURE ATLAS AUTHOR-THOMAS TERRY

OP
OP
gmstreet

gmstreet

Jul 29, 2007
Elkins, West Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the info. It's kinda odd that all of the leads are in the same general area. Makes you wonder if they were all spun off of one treasure story, as they were passed down. I have some family around Czar. I'll have to see if they've know anymore about any of those leads. Of course with bow season starting tomorrow, any hunt would have to wait till spring. Big bucks in that neck of the woods, and no shortage of flying arrows or lead either, I imagine.

Thanks again,

Greg

WV Hillbilly

Dec 8, 2006
West Virginia
Detector(s) used
TIME RANGER CZ3D ACE 250
I grew up in Rock Cave & never heard about buried treasure near or in Rock Cave until recently , but passed down through my family I have heard some stories about a treasure near the Buckhannon river .Both of my parents grew up near the Buckhannon river & a storey told to me by my mother goes something like this . There was this particular family that lived in the Indian Camp community & owned property there . A neighbor boy was rabbit hunting on this property & ran across a stone that had some type of metal marker in it . Obviously people in that area had heard of a buried treasure because people started digging holes on that property . The landowners ran everyone off . My mother personally knew the landowners . As told to me by my mother the family never let on that they found anything , but that they graudually became very well - to - do as time went by . Mother believed they had found something .
I think maybe one of those rumored treasures has been recovered .

Apr 14, 2016
Detector(s) used
Wish I could afford one, but I can't so I use my tongue
Primary Interest:
Other
I grew up in Buckhannon (well French Creek) and Ive heard the stories of an old silver mine near indian camp all my life with some apparent truths ..... anyone still interested in this.?

bountyhunter04

May 7, 2006
WV
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm V
I’m currently working just east of Centralia...in between Centralia and RT. 15...in Webster county...a landowner told us a similar story and supposedly he claims it to be on the land we are working on...he said it was called “Pittman’s Silver” has anyone heard of this? Possibly could be the same tale

Hillbillyhunter2

Jul 25, 2018
Central Wv
Detector(s) used
Still looking for one to purchase
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Never heard of it but I believe there was a silver mine at one time down there I think you can find it on MSHA website the name sounds familiar.....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread