Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2012
Pennsylvania
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett AT Pro, Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Went back to the banner field to reacquaint myself with my AT Pro. Field was saturated with melting snow, which beats the 2" of ice I was getting last weekend at another local site. I really wasn't expecting to actually find anything since the banner field was assumed to be hunted out. That's what I get for assuming, I suppose :laughing7:

In a far corner of the field, close enough to some houses that I didn't bother venturing there before (but did today on a whim), I started getting hit after hit, all in the mid- to high 80s, which is typically dense copper/brass but often silver. Out pops the smallest buckle...the rest was found within a 10' radius, and I wasn't digging everything. It was actually my last spot stop before I went home; after that first buckle I ended up staying another 45 minutes 8-)

Need some ID on a few of these random brass things, so the pics are numbered.

#1 - All the buckles. Would love to know what the upper left 2 are.
buckles.jpg

#2 - All the brass whatsits.
brass stuff.jpg

#3 - Shutter hinges.
A & B.jpg

#4 - Rein guide.
brass loop.jpg

#5 - Shutter hinge.
dunno.jpg

#6 - Weird loop with a hinged disc.
hinge thing.jpg disc thingy.jpg

#7 - Aluminum rod.
metal rod.jpg

Thanks to any who can give positive IDs!

Last edited:
Upvote 2

fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think the parts marked A and B may be part of a set of shutter hinges. They would mount to the window frame. The part in photo #5 would mount to the shutter and fit into the hole in A or B. Or vice versa.:icon_scratch: Photo #4 looks like a guide that mounted on a wagon and the reins ran through it. #7 looks like a piece of ground wire that ran from the main electrical box to a ground rod.

Last edited:
OP
OP
cti4sw

cti4sw

Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2012
Pennsylvania
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I think the parts marked A and B may be part of a set of shutter hinges. They would mount to the window frame. The part in photo #5 would mount to the shutter and fit into the hole in A or B. Or vice versa.:icon_scratch: Photo #4 looks like a guide that mounted on a wagon and the reins ran through it. #7 looks like a piece of ground wire that ran from the main electrical box to a ground rod.

Thanks! You're the second person to say that the A&B pieces are shutter hinges. Any idea to age? Rein guide, ok, I figured it was something like that. I don't think that last one is ground wire though, it's not flexible at all.

fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They could be anywhere from the 1800s to modern day. I feel like yours date to the mid to late 1800s.

grasshopper

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2007
Upstate NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yup, that one is definitely a reign guide. The two buckles in question also appear to be harness buckles from a horse. Usually that's the case when they have that raised center bar. (Unless they're not actually raised...that's what it looks like in the pics at least)

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The buckle that appears most interesting from the pic. is third down on left side, but all found relatively close together, probably all go to the same harness, or part of a harness.

I have found that thing in pic #6 but no idea of it's purpose.

OP
OP
cti4sw

cti4sw

Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2012
Pennsylvania
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Yup, that one is definitely a reign guide. The two buckles in question also appear to be harness buckles from a horse. Usually that's the case when they have that raised center bar. (Unless they're not actually raised...that's what it looks like in the pics at least)

They do have a raised center bar. I wonder if someone was trashing an old harness.

The buckle that appears most interesting from the pic. is third down on left side, but all found relatively close together, probably all go to the same harness, or part of a harness.

I have found that thing in pic #6 but no idea of it's purpose.

The buckle you find interesting is made of iron, whereas the rest are made of brass. I will be taking everything to work tomorrow to polish them up on a wire wheel, so maybe we'll get some nicer detail. I prefer the brass stuff to look like brass, not like crap :) Will post some After pics tomorrow.

grasshopper

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2007
Upstate NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is there no detail on that round coin-sized object in #2?

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
All I recognized was the rein guide. Congrats. Lots of targets there!

OP
OP
cti4sw

cti4sw

Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2012
Pennsylvania
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Is there no detail on that round coin-sized object in #2?

I took it to work today and polished it up on a wire wheel. New pic is in original post next to the old one.

The one end is threaded like the rein guide.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread