Buckle shields from old road tear out

villagenut

Gold Member
Oct 18, 2014
florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Was heading to an old site to do some more shovel tests and happened to see that our old Main Street was being torn up for new sewer work. Happened to be right along the side of the road where the old church sat in the 1880s. I changed my search plans to take advantage of the opportunity. Directly in front of where the old church sat, I dug an old buckle shield from a horse's harness. Just a foot away there was a second one. Although one looks far more presentable than the other, I am sure the two were lost there at the same time. There were some coins too...but I am not really a coin hunter
I will keep an eye on this strip next week, it looks as if more road is going to come up.

DSC00033.JPG DSC00044.JPG .

DSC00031.JPG xcgas.JPG

Upvote 10

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"There were some coins too - but I am not really a coin hunter " Nice Buckle shields ! What kind of coins did you snag ?
(for those of us who are really freaky for them !)

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice opportunistic hunt that paid dividens :thumbsup:

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro & CTX-3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice! And you have the intelligence to know what they are too! There was a guy here a few years ago that dug one and insisted despite what he was told that it was a CW item :laughing7: Interesting that you found a pair--wonder if they were discarded or lost.

Last edited:

CoinandRelicMan

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2011
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Safari, Cortes, Musketeer, Makro Pin-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Danged nice buckles !! I have found some of the horse buckles but they are all plain ones unfortunately maybe this fall my luck will change for the better :hello2:

OP
OP
villagenut

villagenut

Gold Member
Oct 18, 2014
florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"There were some coins too - but I am not really a coin hunter " Nice Buckle shields ! What kind of coins did you snag ?
(for those of us who are really freaky for them !)

Not that I don't like coins, I have collected them all my life. I just would rather dig a horseshoe or an old button:laughing7: I think if a post includes relics and coins, it may detract from what the poster sees as the real prize. That is why I refrain from posting my coin finds, usually they are found with other more interesting finds. I know that all sounds silly. Anyways, I will try doing better guys. Maybe that crusty wheat will clean up to be a 14-D or an 09-S VDB, that may be worthy of an update.
DSC00043.JPG mmmopy.JPG

OP
OP
villagenut

villagenut

Gold Member
Oct 18, 2014
florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice opportunistic hunt that paid dividens :thumbsup:

My mind was really set on my original hunting spot so much so that I drove past here towards the latter, then forced myself to go back....like what was I thinking. Those shovel test holes will be there available for a while, this street won't. I ended up doing both, but not in my original order of thought process.

sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
HEY NUT NICE BUCKLES AND COINS YOU DUG UP. SAVING ONE PEICE OF HISTORY AT A TIME. DANG THEY LOOK NEW.

Last edited:

basque-man

Silver Member
Sep 26, 2014
W. Nevada / N. CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus; Minelab E-Trac; Son (Wyatt) uses XP Deus!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice saves!!!!!!!! Love the coins most!!!!!:thumbsup:

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not that I don't like coins, I have collected them all my life. I just would rather dig a horseshoe or an old button:laughing7: I think if a post includes relics and coins, it may detract from what the poster sees as the real prize. That is why I refrain from posting my coin finds, usually they are found with other more interesting finds. I know that all sounds silly. Anyways, I will try doing better guys. Maybe that crusty wheat will clean up to be a 14-D or an 09-S VDB, that may be worthy of an update.
View attachment 1189176 View attachment 1189177

thats not silly at all. Sweet buckle shields!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread