Buckle

hbeaton

Jun 4, 2005
Virginia Beach, VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Here is a pic of the buckle and some very intereseted onlookers of my metal detector.

The buckle is interesting on the back side it says what appears to be "Parts" or it could be "Paris" or "Harts" and then below "1858". On the front side is also something, but i can't quite make it what it says, it looks like "SOLTI" or "SOLTE". But i'm not sure. Looks old though.

HH!

-Hunter

Attachments

• 09-24-06_1421.jpg
    09-24-06_1421.jpg
    19.3 KB · Views: 315
  • 09-24-06_1608.jpg
    09-24-06_1608.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 315
Upvote 0
Good job PBK. I have found quite a few of them and I think that is what they are to.

Burdie

As I am in Alexandria. It very well could be from the Civil War. Along with the buckle today I found another mangled 3 ringer the looks like it got nailed by a lawnmower. Like I said on the back it looks and I'm almost sure it says "Parts" on the top loop and then "1858" on the bottom where the teeth meet the the bottom bar. On the front middle bar that the teeth hang from there are the letters SOL and looks to be more afterwards but I'm not sure what they are.

If it is colonial that would be awesome. Certainly my first colonial find.

Wish I had a better camera to give you a close up trk5capt so you might be able to compare them.

Congratulations that is a very nice buckle. I don't know anything at all about that buckle, but it sure looks old and in great condition.

Postalrevnant

Hunter, I just checked, and there's a "Paris 1858" suspenders buckle of the same design on page 50 of Howard R. Crouch's book, Civil War Artifacts - A Guide for the Historian.

A couple of similar ones are shown on p. 127 of Stanley S. Phillips' book, Excavated Artifacts from Battlefields and Campsites of the Civil War, 1861-1865.

Dated suspenders buckles were fairly common in the mid 19th century, so I think it's a pretty safe bet that the "1858" on yours is the year of either patent or manufacture.

PBK. You rock. Seriously. Your researching skills for finding "whatzit" items are impecable.

I'm doing the happy dance know that I know what it is. The next step is to find out what the markings are. Maybe 1858 really is a year.

HH!

-Hunter

After a little research I wish it was a carbine sling buckle, buscadero. They seem to be more valuable and I agree, more macho.

However, I'm pretty sure it's just a suspenders buckle as the two teeth on mine are permanent and the teeth on carbine sling buckle can swivel and seems to be able to slide down to adjust.

I found an example of one: www.relicman.com/bukfsl.htm

Then found a dug sling buckle on ebay http://72.14.209.104/search?q=cache...arbine+sling+buckle"&hl=en&gl=us&ct=clnk&cd=5

Nice little find.

Nice relic. Tsgman

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back