Dec 27, 2008
Derbyshire
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac / Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi All,
Found these Yesterday (can it still go in Today's Finds?) on a new search ground I've just got permission for, some brass - some Iron (I think) - here are the pics:

Buckle2-1.jpg Buckle2-2.jpg

Buckle2-3.jpg Buckle2-45.jpg

Buckle2-6.jpg Buckle2-7.jpg

Buckle2-8.jpg Buckle2-9.jpg

Ring1.jpg Ring2.jpg

Can't wait to get back and finish the field off and get round the others.
I hope the rain keeps off.

Upvote 0
S

seger98

No, you have to move it to yesterdays finds forum.... Just kidding, Welcome to T-net

Looks like you could have a good area there to hunt! That many buckles around there's gotta be some coins!

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi David...your second set of pictures of buckles look to be the oldest of your finds, probably post Medieval Bronze Buckles, keep looking for land I know how hard it is when you first set out, look for high land near water that's were the settlements were :icon_study: there were no taps back in Medieval times :D

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its acceptable to post finds from the same week in todays (in my opinion).

The buckles are mostly horse tack related, some maybe Victorian heavy horse for ploughing etc..

Should be some coins & buttons somewhere near. Your going up in the finds department. As SS said, look out for a Lobo & your find rate will increase.

Good luck & keep posting!

shaun7

Gold Member
May 20, 2008
uk
Detector(s) used
tesoro eldorado, tesoro lobo,goldmaxx xp
CRUSADER said:
Its acceptable to post finds from the same week in todays (in my opinion).

The buckles are mostly horse tack related, some maybe Victorian heavy horse for ploughing etc..

Should be some coins & buttons somewhere near. Your going up in the finds department. As SS said, look out for a Lobo & your find rate will increase.

Good luck & keep posting!

i'll second that :thumbsup:

OP
OP
DavidBeard

DavidBeard

Dec 27, 2008
Derbyshire
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Silver Searcher said:
Hi David...your second set of pictures of buckles look to be the oldest of your finds, probably post Medieval Bronze Buckles, keep looking for land I know how hard it is when you first set out, look for high land near water that's were the settlements were :icon_study: there were no taps back in Medieval times :D
Yes - This place is pretty high up, a few streams and springs still flowing - went back there for a few hours this afternoon but not so lucky today (animal tag, padlock & chain, iron chisel and a very old wheel hub cap; which I thought was an old war tin hat at first!) - I do have rosy red cheeks though with all this fresh air!
Hope to be back on Monday.

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like you are doing very well. The buckles look 1800s to early 1900s or Victorian as Crusader said. Very nice finds but I am surprised you only dug buckles! What kind of trash are you digging there? Congrats and HH, Mike

OP
OP
DavidBeard

DavidBeard

Dec 27, 2008
Derbyshire
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bavaria Mike said:
What kind of trash are you digging there?
I've been asked this before and took it as an insult - what is meant by "kind of trash are you digging"? If you mean what rubbish am I digging up besides my precious treasures - well there's tin cans, beer cans, broken ploughs, rusty chains, bottle tops, etc... Or does it mean something else? ???
Best wishes :icon_sunny:

detector de metales

Oct 12, 2006
Madison, Wisconsin
Don't take everything as an insult there are many reasons why people would ask what trash you were digging.
One would be as a rule is Iron the only stuff? I think its helps figure out what your detector is set to pick up.
Nice finds.. I think everyone means well in what they are saying.. I at first took things in the wrong way..
The NG MD seems to be picking up some of the stuff but they are wondering what you are missing!
Crusader, Mike and Shaun and of course Silver Searcher are Great at identfying and helping you with your finds.. use them to help you out! If I lived in the area you did I would!

Happy Hunting Keep em coming..
US in the Upper Midwest are counting on all you guys to keep up the posts!!

J2

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Dave, I did not mean that as an insult and was really curious as to what kind of trash/rubbish you are digging. If you are not digging trash then something is wrong and you will miss the small gold and silver targets. From the sounds of your trash pile, you are not missing much and that is what I was curious about. I try to dig everything and it really kicks my butt in the parks where many people gather so I don't detect those areas much. My gold coin sounded like a piece of wadded up aluminum foil. I have fields that I have thoroughly gone over numerous times, take all the trash out and believe it or not, some of the hunts now produce more good keeper targets than trash. Everytime they get plowed more targets appear and I am lucky as most farmers here plow deep. It is just a matter of time and you will be posting something greater than buckles. HH and good luck, Mike

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DavidBeard said:
Bavaria Mike said:
What kind of trash are you digging there?
I've been asked this before and took it as an insult - what is meant by "kind of trash are you digging"? If you mean what rubbish am I digging up besides my precious treasures - well there's tin cans, beer cans, broken ploughs, rusty chains, bottle tops, etc... Or does it mean something else? ???
Best wishes :icon_sunny:

I understand why Mike asked it. All I can add to what he said is, have you found any buttons? Or are they not posted here? Have you got you Disc low & your Ses high? If not this might be why your missing buttons & coins. With that amount of buckles, you should have had a Georgain halfpenny by now. We ask these questions to see if we can help.

OP
OP
DavidBeard

DavidBeard

Dec 27, 2008
Derbyshire
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CRUSADER said:
I understand why Mike asked it. All I can add to what he said is, have you found any buttons? Or are they not posted here? Have you got you Disc low & your Ses high? If not this might be why your missing buttons & coins. With that amount of buckles, you should have had a Georgain halfpenny by now. We ask these questions to see if we can help.
Got my Disc low & your Sens high - yes - No, Not found any buttons nor coins yet - still hopeful. Not posting my trash on here (but keeping most of it in a cardboard box!)- The world war II 'Tin Hat' that turned out to be an old wheel hub has caused a few comments at home though! ;D
Will post any new finds as I find them - I ought to get some work done really!
Best wishes.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DavidBeard said:
CRUSADER said:
Got my Disc low & your Sens high - yes - No, Not found any buttons nor coins yet - still hopeful. Not posting my trash on here (but keeping most of it in a cardboard box!)- The world war II 'Tin Hat' that turned out to be an old wheel hub has caused a few comments at home though! ;D
Will post any new finds as I find them - I ought to get some work done really!
Best wishes.

Just a matter of time then. We don't expect you to post your trash :D Otherwise I would need to post tons of photos :)

OP
OP
DavidBeard

DavidBeard

Dec 27, 2008
Derbyshire
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CRUSADER said:
Just a matter of time then. We don't expect you to post your trash :D Otherwise I would need to post tons of photos :)
Do you guys do this as a full time hobby or do you work as well? I'd rather be out every day!
We'll have crops growing here soon and the grazing fields will be a lot longer and won't want trampling - do you slow down or stop during summer and start again after crops have been got in during Autumn & Winter? Just a thought.
:icon_sunny:

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DavidBeard said:
CRUSADER said:
Do you guys do this as a full time hobby or do you work as well? I'd rather be out every day!
We'll have crops growing here soon and the grazing fields will be a lot longer and won't want trampling - do you slow down or stop during summer and start again after crops have been got in during Autumn & Winter? Just a thought.
:icon_sunny:

I work Full time but I'm on Flexi-time, so can come & go as I please ;D

Yes, basically now that the EU don't pay for set-a-side, you get a lot of winter planted crops on all the fields. (these conditions vary from region to region, as some still rest the land) So under normal conditions, I would have no ploughed fields to do this time of year & I wait until harvest in Aug/Sep. (although I was lucky this year as the farmer couldn't plant his beans as it was too wet) Aug-Nov is the busiest time. I normally try & fishing when not detecting but to be honest its taken a back seat. When land is all planted we try pasture land which is hard work for little reward & nothing more than 300 years old.

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
Great finds David!
I find it awesome that such things can be defined as period specific and to such old dates. Here in Chicagoland we are looking at about 160 years of man-made metal in the ground, give or take a few so by way of comparison I (and a lot of us) think even the "trash" may be worth some look if it's all that different from ours in period application and context.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread