Buckles from cape fear

RKinOI

Nov 18, 2004
Got permission to get access to a part of the Cape Fear riverjust above Southport. I was walking along a long stretch of beach and getting no signals. About half way down I got a good signal and dug a buckle.Then another and another. I dug all these targets in about a fifty ft. area.I'm going back next week and was wondering if this could be civil war era buckles. I left them down there so I do not have pics but I tried to draw them. On one of them the hook looking part spreads out to the sides ,it will lay flat. On the other, the hook part does not split and curves around to the front. Has anyone ever seen this type?

Attachments

• beach 7 09 020.JPG
    beach 7 09 020.JPG
    169 KB · Views: 781

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, two of them could indeed be Civil War. Here is a photo of a CW knapsack hook:

knapsack hook.jpg

If you will post a photo with something for scale, I'll give a positive ID.

Regards,

Buckles

OP
OP
RKinOI

RKinOI

Nov 18, 2004
Thanks Buckles, That looks exactly like one of them. I won't have pics until next week. Just guessing I would say the part where the strap goes through is about 1 1/2 inches across. Thanks , RKINOI

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
RKinOI said:
Thanks Buckles, That looks exactly like one of them. I won't have pics until next week. Just guessing I would say the part where the strap goes through is about 1 1/2 inches across. Thanks , RKINOI

That's the right size. :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread