South Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A hunting buddy of mine’s ATP died and he made the jump over to an 800 which he received on Saturday. It rained 24 straight hours Saturday, but we were able to get out to a site he had hunted with his ATP early Sunday morning.

During the 20 minute hike to the site I tried to set his expectations low.... you already hit it with your ATP so don’t expect a pouch full of keepers... there is a learning curve with the Nox at iron littered cellar holes, you will not find much but don’t get frustrated... anything from 10-18 can and will most likely be a shotgun shell head stamp... and so on.

Well, his very first target was a 14/14 within 2 minutes of turning on his machine. He asked me what it was and I said shotgun shell, but asked how deep. He said 3 bars, so I told him give it a shot. It ended up being a nice dandy button. His next signal was a beautiful sash buckle, then his third signal was a thimble. His 4th signal was finally a headstamp... He was absolutely giddy with his new toy!!!

Half an hour later he walks over with an odd sized coin shaped find that rung up a 28/28. It ends up being a 1806 Draped Bust Half Cent. The oldest US coin either of us has seen live dug and a bucket lister for him. What an amazing first coin!

During the hike over he asked me how long it took me to find a silver coin with the Nox. I told him that It took me almost 3 months unfortunately. Later in the morning he found a more modern coin spill with a bunch of IHP’s and a almost mint Barber Dime.

I’ve seen some happy faces metal detecting for sure. But seeing his immediate success and excitement was a great experience I wanted to share with the group!

MikeRo

Jul 31, 2019
SW Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
ace 350, equinox600, equinox800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I’m guessing he’s gonna stick with the equinox for awhile! Awesome hunt & an awesome story!

1KBlueTuber

Oct 19, 2014
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Minelab excalibur blue tube 1000
Fisher cz-6a, 1265x,
Whites eagle IIsl
Congrats! To your friend and make sure he takes that Nox to every place he ever found something with the ATP.

OP
OP
pa-dirt_nc-sand

pa-dirt_nc-sand

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2016
South Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I’m guessing he’s gonna stick with the equinox for awhile! Awesome hunt & an awesome story!

Yeah, he’s been talking about buying one for a year now. Took his ATP dying to pull the trigger. His first hunt will be hard to top.

sgoss66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jan 11, 2011
Norman, OK
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 800, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Holy smokes! That's just incredible! WHAT A HUNT!! And for his FIRST TIME out, with the EQX? Wow...

Thanks for sharing!

Steve

OP
OP
pa-dirt_nc-sand

pa-dirt_nc-sand

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2016
South Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Holy smokes! That's just incredible! WHAT A HUNT!! And for his FIRST TIME out, with the EQX? Wow...

Thanks for sharing!

Steve

Thx! The irony of the story is that about 2 hours in the 4 hour hunt my Nox started going wacky. I lost all hightones. Same thing that happened back in March where i ended up sending my coil in for swap out. His Barber Dime range up a 15 VDI on my Nox and I only could hear it 2” away. I ended up slowing way down and “sifting” around the hot spot for shallow targets and still picked up a bunch of stuff. Oh well.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread