Bronze Member
Nov 7, 2007
Sarasota
Detector(s) used
Vanquish 540 . Carrot
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Buddy of mine get caught in rip tide lost His heater and scoop he's OK

A buddy of mine got caught in a rip tide last week at Siesta key his name is Ed .... He was in big surf and almost got towed out to sea . life guard had rescued him .. But he lost his garrett sea hunter and scoop. Im just glad he's Ok... he can always get another MD. in fact His main MD is an excal .. didn't have it that day.. Guzz1

Upvote 0

JP

Bronze Member
May 5, 2006
Florida & San Salvador, El Salvador
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000, Garrett Infinium LS, Garrett Sea Hunter II, Ace 250 (for my 12 year old son)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Buddy of mine get caught in rip tide lost His heater and scoop he's OK

Wow. I'm glad to hear that he is ok. The detector and scoop can be replaced, but ones life that's another case.

What a scary experience.

mumszie

Silver Member
Feb 22, 2005
Spring Hill, Florida

Boy that guy had to be scared to death! I am so glad it all turned out well. What is a machine compared to your life! A very good warning to everyone else to be careful out there. Finding a little gold is not worth your life!

T

TreasurdiggrNY

Re: Buddy of mine get caught in rip tide lost His heater and scoop he's

Glad your buddy is ok, yeah who cares about the machine and scoop when something like that happens WOW. Definitely be careful everyone.
Glenn

bootybay

Gold Member
Aug 9, 2007
NJ
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
EXCAL 2, SOV. GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I am so glad hes safe and ok... How deep was he? I know you dont have to be deep here in NJ when the riptide grabs ya.. I bet hes thanking everyone and their brother on this one.. I am just glad hes aok .. phew.

erikk

Jan 6, 2007
Punta Gorda FL
Detector(s) used
EX2',CZ7a pro,Excaliburs 1000 & 2, F-75's ,Garrett Sea Hunter & Infinium LS PI , 1235X

I'm sorry but how dumb is it to go out in big surf with a scoop and a MD. A bit of common sense goes a long way in the water.
Guy drowned down at Captiva today-30 years old. Probably wasn't MD but the currents can get pretty hairy if you don't watch it

OP
OP
guzz1

guzz1

Bronze Member
Nov 7, 2007
Sarasota
Detector(s) used
Vanquish 540 . Carrot
Primary Interest:

WEll said mumzie,, Guzz1

OP
OP
guzz1

guzz1

Bronze Member
Nov 7, 2007
Sarasota
Detector(s) used
Vanquish 540 . Carrot
Primary Interest:

Bottybay,, He was only chest deep when he was grabbed ...Guzz

bootybay

Gold Member
Aug 9, 2007
NJ
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
EXCAL 2, SOV. GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

when its bad here with the rip tides, it only takes a couple of feet to drag ya out.. thankful your buddy is ok..I betcha he wont be that deep water hunting again for a long while.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I am glad it all turned out alright. This is another reason not to have the scoop attached to you. I hipmount my MD, but don't get out in saltwater anymore.

Has he thought of diving off the coast where the rip tide was to see if he can reclaim his gear? If not he could hire someone.

OP
OP
guzz1

guzz1

Bronze Member
Nov 7, 2007
Sarasota
Detector(s) used
Vanquish 540 . Carrot
Primary Interest:

I ask him about that Sandman, The gear is somewhere out the . If he had access to a boat ,,there is a sand bar 300 yards out from where he was at I would think it would act like a barrier .. I wouldn't be surprised if its not sitting out there near That sand bar. Guzz1

ronald99

Dec 13, 2006
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE-Excalibur 1000-Minelab SD2200V2

The rip tide is nothing to play with.

Im 6ft 230 and i wont get out there durning the rip tide, I have been in ankle deep water and the force of the rip tide pullling back out to sea is very strong.

I use a shoulder harness atached to my excalibur and it makes detecting alot less tiresome, It also keeps someone from coming up behind and stealing the detector, When im in the surf detecting i can release my detector while im scooping up the target, and the detector stays teathered to my shoulder harness.

Im thinking about ataching something to my scoop to keep it from getting away from me. I almost lost it a few times out in the surf.

I went to walmart and purchased a nice lifejacket vest that fits close to the body for detecting in semi rough surf but never when the rip tides are in force.

Remember there is nothing in the water worth your life, When it comes to Mother Nature she will always win the battle.

DaChief

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2007
Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
-------(Water)------- Garrett Infinium (Relic and Coin) Minelab Sov. Elite
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Sorry to hear that but glad the guy is o.k. Can't say that I haven't been out in the rought surf alone also. Wasn't any rip tides but I have taken a pounding.

I know that there are those inflatable suspender like life vests that are sold in bass pro shops, etc. You can get them that are manually activated. Wouldn't be a bad idea to have a set. They run about 100 bucks or so from what I can remember.

Montauk3

Nov 2, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2 \ Sovereign GT BeachHunter ID
Primary Interest:

If I may suggest that we have a semi-permanent thread on what we know about rips. I think it would be most helpful to the newbies and the rest of us.

At the risk of repeating myself, I posted briefly on an experience I had while stationed in France.

I will admit I still have a great amount of respect (fear?) of the rips.

What do you know about rips?
What is your experience?
Observations?
ETC.

Carry on.

rmptr

Silver Member
Dec 25, 2007
Tierra del Fuego
Detector(s) used
Tesoro.Fisher.Garrett

Glad the fellow made it out of the water ok!

Chest deep, in surf, with natural buoyancy is just a wave away from swimming.
The fellow was too deep in the water to detect for the conditions.

Norm Garnuche, the Golden Oldie, was well known for going deep, but I doubt he did it in big waves or at a beach with a steep dropoff. I've read his stuff, and he stayed out of the water when it was rough.

Wave action will definitely suck you away on a beach with a steep dropoff, and there's always that 7th wave in a set that's a bigger one, and always a possibility of a rogue wave passing by that was generated somewhere for some unknown reason. THAT is a treacherous thing you can't really look out for if intent on detecting.

We have some of the safest beaches in the world, hereabouts, and some of the most treacherous.
A riptide is not much problem if you are healthy, and a strong, confident swimmer.
It will only affect you if you are perhaps waist deep, or better, depending on the dropoff, once again.

They will such you out a distance, then send you down the beach a ways, where you then be able to swim back to shore.
People drowned by them are the ones who panic, and try to fight the current.
It might be possible, but you would have to be tip-top!

Over the years I've seen lots of kids goof off in the rip tides...
Young bucks that were good swimmers.
They did it in groups of 3 or 4 guys, generally.

Usually they ended up 1/8 to 1/4 mile down the beach when they were able to get back up on the dry.

If appropriate caution fails you, jettison the supercargo and don't panic. Conserve your energy.
You'll most likely be swimming for 45min to an hour, or so.

Me?
I swim like a rock.
Been saved by many of my oldest friends way back when...
Jumping into water is among the biggest thrills in my life!
I avoid it!

Hookah is fabulous! You got air!

Best,
rmptr

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions