Buffalo Bill & Kit Carson + 3 Historys of America Show up in a dumpster

PikesPeakCharlie

Bronze Member
Nov 19, 2008
Pikes Peak
Detector(s) used
Garrett Gti 2500, Garrett Gta 350, Garrett Pro-Pointer -- Whites IDX Pro, AutoMax V2 Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Buffalo Bill & Kit Carson + 3 Historys of America Show up in a dumpster

I'm still in shock :o My brother & I driving down the street , see a large roll away dumpster sitting in front of an old building ,,,, turned around to take a look ,,,,,, Wow !!!!!!!!!!! :o this thing was full of antique papers,books,just all kinds of stuff. :tongue3: I will try to make a long story short. With permission from the job supervisor we each carried away 2 box's of stuff. Digging through it yesterday, I found I had 3 old books on the history of America/United States. #1 Copyright 1883 ,"America its history & biography. #2 copyright 1895 ,"History of the United States". #3 Copyright 1910(3rd printing,the first was 1899) "A History of the United States". What great books with just tons of illustrations.
The main focus of this story is the 1883 book, what a treasure trove of our history & many treasure/detecting leads, Anyway flipping through the pages I came across a piece of paper stuck in between the pages,,,,reading it my jaw dropped ,,, was I looking at Buffalo Bills signature from Deadwood Dakota 1865, Flipped a few more pages and was looking at Kit Carson's signature :o In my mind *&^&*%$# What did I just find !!!!! Now ,I guess its time to do some research,was Buffalo Bill in Deadwood in 1865 ????? are they real ?????? OH BOY A NEW TREASURE HUNT :headbang: We just never know what will pop up next !! If you do not look ,,, You will never find. HH to all

Attachments

• 100_3787.JPG
    100_3787.JPG
    122.4 KB · Views: 1,779
  • 100_3792.JPG
    100_3792.JPG
    113.9 KB · Views: 1,775
  • 100_3793.JPG
    100_3793.JPG
    67.3 KB · Views: 1,780
  • 100_3788.JPG
    100_3788.JPG
    129.8 KB · Views: 1,854
Upvote 0
OP
OP
PikesPeakCharlie

PikesPeakCharlie

Bronze Member
Nov 19, 2008
Pikes Peak
Detector(s) used
Garrett Gti 2500, Garrett Gta 350, Garrett Pro-Pointer -- Whites IDX Pro, AutoMax V2 Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Buffalo Bill & Kit Carson + 3 Historys of America Show up in a dumpster

Some more

Attachments

• 10-26-2011 9;50;41 AM.jpg
    10-26-2011 9;50;41 AM.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 1,894
  • 10-26-2011 9;49;27 AM.jpg
    10-26-2011 9;49;27 AM.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 1,905
  • 100_3791.JPG
    100_3791.JPG
    112 KB · Views: 1,921
  • 100_3789.JPG
    100_3789.JPG
    95.8 KB · Views: 1,885
F

Felinepeachy

WOW That is amazing!!!

emesis

Mar 12, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I might be wrong, but Deadwood wasn't founded until the 1870's. So I don't know how that will affect your research.

wally

OP
OP
PikesPeakCharlie

PikesPeakCharlie

Bronze Member
Nov 19, 2008
Pikes Peak
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Didn't like the scan's hope these photo's are better

Attachments

• 100_3797.JPG
    100_3797.JPG
    125.7 KB · Views: 1,825
  • 100_3796.JPG
    100_3796.JPG
    121.8 KB · Views: 1,829

curbdiggercarl57

Silver Member
Nov 19, 2007
Largo, Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle, DFX, Shadow X-2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Those autographs are amazing! Plus, that looks to be a really early signing for Buffalo Bill.
Keep us posted on the research,
Carl

Loving the snow, are ya?

Adding this note, is the B.B. autograph 1865, or 1868?
1865 might be too early, wasn't until 1866-67 that he supposedly got his nickname.
Did see one for sale for $4000.00
Yeah Baby!

OP
OP
PikesPeakCharlie

PikesPeakCharlie

Bronze Member
Nov 19, 2008
Pikes Peak
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

emesis said:
I might be wrong, but Deadwood wasn't founded until the 1870's. So I don't know how that will affect your research.

wally
No your not wrong.Deadwood was founded in the 1870s. I did find that he was discharged as a private from Co H 7th Kansas Calvary in 1865. The research goes on :wink:

OP
OP
PikesPeakCharlie

PikesPeakCharlie

Bronze Member
Nov 19, 2008
Pikes Peak
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

CurbdiggerCarl57 said:
Those autographs are amazing! Plus, that looks to be a really early signing for Buffalo Bill.
Keep us posted on the research,
Carl

Loving the snow, are ya?

Adding this note, is the B.B. autograph 1865, or 1868?
1865 might be too early, wasn't until 1866-67 that he supposedly got his nickname.
Did see one for sale for $4000.00
Yeah Baby!
Howdy Carl, NO !!!!! i'm not lovin the snow,this last one is going to put frost in the ground up here,which means my season is pretty much over , no more show & tell,unless we can get in the ground again :-\

HuntNdig

Oct 6, 2011
North Texas
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

very interesting! Keep us posted!

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Good eye Charlie :wink: Keep us posted on those autograph!! Some of those pic's,if loose,would look great in a frame.Nice Job :thumbsup:

High Plains Digger

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2008

I agree that Deadwood wasn't even thought of yet in 1865. Like emesis said. I think Custer's assistance in opening SD and Deadwood is what got the Souix so pissed off at him personally. As I remember reading, his first couple of exploraton runs were against Treaty and against orders.

PS: The 5 of 1865 doesn't look at all like the 8. Otherwise, it looks like Miss Waltmann was a busy young lady and enjoyed Western Heros. But, in 1865, was BB even a celebrity? Like Pikes Peak Charlie said, he was a private, and didn't kill a ton of buffalos until the railroad came along in 1867/68. Kit had been the man since the 1840s or earlier, but Bill? Not thinking so.
That 1865 just doesn't make sense at all.

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Man keep us informed on your research. This could be the find of your life! Very intriguing.

BILL96

Mar 29, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
LST

That is an interesting signature and a true mystery well worth following up.
But just a couple of thoughts,
In 1865 he was only 19, between Sept 1864 and Sept 1865 he was in the Army, mostly in Kansas.
William Cody didn't recieve the nickname "Buffalo Bill until 1867-1868 when he managed to kill 4280 buffalo in an 18 month period to help feed the railroad workers.
Of all his signatures that I have seen, this one does not look similer, it just does not look like any of his others.
Virtually every one of his surviving signatures are a double signature, something like this
WF Cody
Buffalo Bill
Please keep us informed of your research.

Bill

High Plains Digger

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2008

I thought the signature looked "well educated" but I haven't had time to look up the education of BB. ALmost femine well educated. Way too many flourishes, but I have nothing to base that on. Kit seems to look good, as far as gut feelings go, but I have to read about him. I wonder if, because of his times, he was able to be called literate.

Tigger

Mar 6, 2011
N Central Fla
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

They look like the right size for an autograph book. Is there anything written on the back? Are there any more, of not-so-famous people? Do any of the books have a Waltman(n) inscription in them?

The script is old fashioned, the "Deadwood, Dakota" is more realistic than if someone had said South, or North Dakota, so though I'm not sure on the signatures, it's not obviously faked. Plus, her name is spelled differently in the second one.

So put it them in acid free paper, out of the light, and do some more investigating!!
Tigger

BILL96

Mar 29, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
LST

This just gets stranger, I have been studing the Kit Carson signature and I just do not believe that It belongs to the
Christopher "Kit" Carson that we all think about. Nothing about it compares to any of his known signatures. The K is wrong,the T is wrong, the C is very wrong, everything about it is just wrong, so who is this guy?

Bill

High Plains Digger

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2008

Miss Waltman may have been a pretender! It would be pretty easy to be important at the party when nobody knew what the real autograph looked like. ALso, the fact that it says "Dakota" is good, but again, not in 1865. I don't think there was any interest in the area until rumors of gold started to surface, brought out or at least verified by Custer's expedition. Makes you wonder why he took civilian gold miners and gold pans with him if gold was a complete surprise.

mlw67

Bronze Member
Apr 27, 2006
Portland, OR

These are some cool finds, but I'm going to have to go with the growing consensus: these are unfortunately both forgeries.

My reasoning:

1. In 1865, Buffalo Bill was not Buffalo Bill, and Deadwood wasn't Deadwood. (Deadwood got it's start when gold was discovered in 1874--before that it was indian territory)

2. Neither signature matches known examples.

3. There are enough similarities in the writing of both cards to have me believe that the same person wrote both of them. (slant and style, small "a", small "b", small "s", usage of the verb "remember", etc)

Occasionally period forgeries will have their own value, although I doubt that is the case with these. I know George Washington period forgeries are still worth thousands, especially if you can identify it as one of the known forger's work. Look for one of those in between those pages!

baywalker

Bronze Member
Aug 24, 2011
Southwest Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett & Fisher
Minelab Excaliber II
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

According the book "bad boys of the black hills: by B arbara Fifer bill was never in deadwood . and kit carson wasn't even mentioned .

Jonnie

Rich in Central PA

May 28, 2003
Shamokin Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Googled Buffalo Bill signatures, and here is what I got on the first hit. IMO, does NOT look like BB signature. I wish it was, however, take a look and see for yourself.............

http://houseofdeception.com/Buffalo_Bill's_Writing.html

I'm sorry to say Christopher "Kit" Carson signature looks wrong also. CC was a Brigadier General in the Civil War in 1865. Look...................

http://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/6206376

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread