dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett Pro Pointer (mine). Fisher F2 my son's
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Hello everyone, I just picked up a Buffalo Forge and was wondering if anyone had any info on it. It is in good shape and I have already took some of it apart and started electrolysis on various parts. I plan to completely clean and paint this unit including the blower. It is a lot like the one in this video...
[video=youtube;X4dnLpBmCQ4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=X4dnLpBmCQ4[/video]

hvacker

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other
I don't have any information other than the name is well known. They also made large blowers and fans. They might still be around.
Working with metal, especially steel, can become addictive. You might find yourself picking up pieces of metal just in case. If you don't have an anvil a piece of railroad rail will do to start. With a bit of skill you can forge your own tongs. I have found them at antique stores.
People make tools like knifes with old files and leaf springs. Some day you might like to work with the modern steel pro knife makers use today. At a gem show I saw a beautiful knife made from a meteorite and treated to produce a Damascus pattern.
Somewhere on the net a guy made a forge from a large brake drum and a shop vac. Resourceful. I can still buy coal where I live. Otherwise use charcoal.

OP
OP
dieselram94

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Thanks for the reply hvacker. I love working with steel, I always enjoy welding (stick and mig), plasma cutting, torches and the like. I am not certified but if I can find the time this next year I will try to become certified. In and around my shop I have saved "useful" pieces of scrap metal from projects, you never know when they might come in handy! LOL! Sometimes at 3 am. scrap metal can bail you out of a tough spot when something breaks. I love fabricating and reusing an item for another use.

Coal is still readily available around here and coal stoves seem to be making somewhat of a come back to.

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
The gear box on your blower might be an oil bath set up rather than greasing. Otherwise I bet there are all sorts of youtube video's on blacksmithing and your forge.

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
In your attached video, I don't have any idea what the guy has in mind by what he's doing. At first he cranks and cranks, I though making coke, but I don't understand why, looked to me like he had plenty, then he puts the rod in the fire and cranks at a welding heat for I don't know what reason. He finally takes the iron out and looks at it, and it's way hotter than it needs to be, white hot like that is basically a welding heat. He was right on the verge of burning the metal up. Keep cranking that hard, it doesn't take much to go beyond a white heat and when the sparks start flying it's too late, you've wrecked your work. All he was really doing from what I could was making lots of clinkers.

OP
OP
dieselram94

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
The gear box on your blower might be an oil bath set up rather than greasing. Otherwise I bet there are all sorts of youtube video's on blacksmithing and your forge.
I was wondering about what lube to use as I assume the blower can become pretty hot while using. I don't see any fill plugs on it, however on the shaft the hand crank is mounted to it appears to have a hole for oiling. Maybe it needs one of those oil cups? In the video I think he was just demonstrating the forge as working because he had it for sale on ebay I believe. I am glad you mentioned that about getting the metal to hot as I am totally new to this and very much in the dark when it comes to using a forge. Thanks for the info.

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I had a forge like that one back about 1960, and it seems to me that the gear box was full of oil up to the point where it wouldn't run out, but an oil bath on the gears. I don't remember oiling or greasing the crank where it entered the box.

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
That guy was turning that thing way too hard, you don't have to do that with a forge, unless you are welding, then you bring the heat up slow, and finally turn that fast at the very end to achieve welding heat.

arnofarrell

Feb 18, 2012
North West Iowa
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is pretty awesome man, I wish I had one. Maybe I will come across one this spring with all the machinery auctions in my area. Good find.

Hey Diesel once you get going with black smithing do you think you could make me an axe head? I collect axes and would love a hand forged one that came from someone I know. No pressure, just curious. Thanks buddy.

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Anyhow, trying to remember, I think there was a line on the cast iron showing the oil level on that particular blower. It's just to many years ago now, sorry, wish I could be of more help.

OP
OP
dieselram94

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
That is pretty awesome man, I wish I had one. Maybe I will come across one this spring with all the machinery auctions in my area. Good find.

Hey Diesel once you get going with black smithing do you think you could make me an axe head? I collect axes and would love a hand forged one that came from someone I know. No pressure, just curious. Thanks buddy.

I am brand new to this and it will take some practice i am sure. As soon as I think I can pull off making you one, I will. No problem. I hope you find one but they can be easily made from a brake drum from a truck and some sort of a blower.

OP
OP
dieselram94

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Anyhow, trying to remember, I think there was a line on the cast iron showing the oil level on that particular blower. It's just to many years ago now, sorry, wish I could be of more help.

I do appreciate the help you have given me already. I am going to look again for a line on the housing tonight when I get home.

hvacker

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other
You might already be aware of this but just in case knowing the type of steel your using is important to the job. Google steel spark test and download the pictures of the different sparks that a grinder will make with different steels. That way you won't use a steel better matched for another job. The other skills (arts) are hardening and tempering and judging heat based on color.
My neighbor is a farrier and I can hear him ringing his anvil. Great sound.

arnofarrell

Feb 18, 2012
North West Iowa
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am brand new to this and it will take some practice i am sure. As soon as I think I can pull off making you one, I will. No problem. I hope you find one but they can be easily made from a brake drum from a truck and some sort of a blower.

I may have to try this.

OP
OP
dieselram94

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
You might already be aware of this but just in case knowing the type of steel your using is important to the job. Google steel spark test and download the pictures of the different sparks that a grinder will make with different steels. That way you won't use a steel better matched for another job. The other skills (arts) are hardening and tempering and judging heat based on color.
My neighbor is a farrier and I can hear him ringing his anvil. Great sound.
Your right about needing to know the type of steel your working with. I am in the process of plating an excavator bucket right now and have used hardened steel plate as much as we can as we only had a limited supply on hand (budget for the year is getting real thin). There certainly is a lot to learn about blacksmithing. It is much different from just cutting and welding like I usually do.

OP
OP
dieselram94

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
I may have to try this.
Arno, I just came across this video and thought you might enjoy it...
[video=youtube;4-D2v5szwnw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=4-D2v5szwnw[/video]

OP
OP
dieselram94

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Earlier I pulled the air tube out of the electrolysis bath and it came out awesome!!! This entire forge is going to be in near perfect condition when I am done. I just would like to find a hood for it as I have seen the same model equipped with. Right now it has the original heat shield.

As for the lubrication of the blower I have discovered that has a gits oiler installed so I guess just about any non-detergent oil is probably ok. I will probably use marvel mystery oil for it...Any better suggestions?
$T2eC16h,!)kE9s4,BugMBRTKlHqPLQ~~60_14.JPG

truckinbutch

Silver Member
Feb 15, 2008
Morgantown,WV
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Landstar
OH < OH < OHHHHHHH.................... All y'all catchin an interest in this hobby are embarking on a perilous path . Be prepared to forsake your wives and children and rational existence in pursuit of fire and iron . Been there and still do that . Found a path to moderation called age and infirmity . Those hand crank Buffler blowers are fine with any type of lube or no lube at all because of the slow rpm . Directed air flow , fuel , and fire . Iron to heat , sompin hard to beat with , sompin hard to beat on and you are in bidness . Get the iron hot , get in your mind what you want , get your hands to beat hell out of the iron until you get what you want . Then the habit grows ..............
I stopped after I home built a 100lb ,1200 rpm power hammer with interchangeable custom made dies to build a horsedrawn hitch wagon for my Father .
Wonderful habit to cultivate and the only limitation is your own investment in the hobby .

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Camped next to fora couple days and got to spend time with and would see at other shoots an interesting character with his forge. Truckin summed it up pretty well .

OP
OP
dieselram94

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
OH < OH < OHHHHHHH.................... All y'all catchin an interest in this hobby are embarking on a perilous path . Be prepared to forsake your wives and children and rational existence in pursuit of fire and iron . Been there and still do that . Found a path to moderation called age and infirmity . Those hand crank Buffler blowers are fine with any type of lube or no lube at all because of the slow rpm . Directed air flow , fuel , and fire . Iron to heat , sompin hard to beat with , sompin hard to beat on and you are in bidness . Get the iron hot , get in your mind what you want , get your hands to beat hell out of the iron until you get what you want . Then the habit grows ..............
I stopped after I home built a 100lb ,1200 rpm power hammer with interchangeable custom made dies to build a horsedrawn hitch wagon for my Father .
Wonderful habit to cultivate and the only limitation is your own investment in the hobby .
Yes you are right, I can see me getting very engaged in this hobby as well as all my others! LOL! A buddy of mine is probably more excited about this than I am (he just bought a metal lathe himself). I now just need to find an anvil. The guy I got the forge from has a 100# anvil but it is in less than perfect condition...He sold me the forge because he never used it (pretty much never uses the anvil either) and needed some money as always with this guy. I kind of think the anvil might be coming next...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread