• image-385791100.jpg
    image-385791100.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 85
Upvote 0

CRHQueen

Jun 20, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
According to Buffalo Nickel Dates - What Is My Buffalo Nickel With No Date Worth
"Sometimes it is possible to recover the date on a dateless Buffalo Nickel by putting a drop of ferric chloride on the spot where the date should be. This chemical, called a "date restorer," is sold under the trade name "Nic-A-Date." Although it will cause the date to reappear on a Buffalo Nickel which has lost its date, ferric chloride also leaves a blotchy, rough, acid spot of damage on the coin that totally ruins any value the nickel might have had. In addition, the date will fade again over time, and each time you use the chemical again, it brings back less and less of the date (leaving an increasingly ugly acid mark instead.)

Never used chemicals on the surface of your nickels to restore partial dates because partial-date Buffalo Nickels are worth more than totally dateless nickels. Depending on which digits are showing, the nickel can be worth anywhere from 50 cents (if the part showing is the first 2 or 3 digits) to about 20% of market value if the digits showing are the last 2 or 3 (thereby revealing the actual date the Buffalo Nickel was struck.)"

CRHQueen

Jun 20, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
But, I have never tried that...
Personally I would just keep it as a no-date Buff. in a junk box.

Solid Rolls

May 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Soak it in vinegar or use Nic-A-Date. Their should be a video or two on the youtube about restoring dates to buffalo nickels.

MrSchulz

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2012
DeWitt, Iowa
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Custom Recovery tools, Nupla Prb4t Soil Probe 60 IN,
Primary Interest:
Other
Nic a date works, though I would never use it. I sell Dateless buffalos pretty easily on eBay. I hole them, and sell them as Coin Jewelry. Usually sell for a dollar within a few hours of listing.

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
Nic a date works, though I would never use it. I sell Dateless buffalos pretty easily on eBay. I hole them, and sell them as Coin Jewelry. Usually sell for a dollar within a few hours of listing.

What if that coin was a key date? You could still get some money for a coin that had vinegar or Nic-a-date put on it on eBay.

hokiemojo

Jan 26, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
wow, the macro got you a date? I was amazed when I was able to decipher an unreadable date when i resorted to the camera, but that is beyond impressive.

SilverForBrains

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I once had 80 buffalo nickels without dates. I let them soak in 2N HCL for days and days, and dates started to show up. Then a clueless undergrad lab worker took them out and let the acid dry on em without rinsing them. now they are all toned yellow and I can't see any of the dates

dustytrails123

Bronze Member
Apr 14, 2012
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer Se Pro,Garrett At/Pro,Garrett Ace 350,Tesoro Cibola,Tesoro Outlaw,Bounty Hunter SharpShooter 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i found 3 in the park next to me that had no dates then i soaked them in the works for about 12 hours and they all had the dates appear

OP
OP
Nickel Searcher 219

Nickel Searcher 219

May 25, 2012
That would suck.I dont think I will find 80 buffalo nickels in my whole life time unless I buy em.only find about 1 per 200-400$ worth.and I only do 100$ a week.

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
That would suck.I dont think I will find 80 buffalo nickels in my whole life time unless I buy em.only find about 1 per 200-400$ worth.and I only do 100$ a week.

With your numbers, you should be able to find them in 40-80 months, or 3-6 years.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread