Sep 16, 2013
FREDONIA KENTUCKY
Detector(s) used
Teknetics G2
Predator Raptor
Predator Phoenix
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I dug another Buffalo Indian Head nickel and a wheat penny today in Princeton Kentucky.

DSCF7184.JPG

DSCF7189.JPG

Upvote 21

Tony in SC

Gold Member
Jun 8, 2006
Upstate South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Whites, Minelab, Tesoro, and custom machines
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good finds! The Buff and wheatie indicates you're in a spot with potential!!

Coinstar magnet

Silver Member
Apr 5, 2020
Beverly Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most respectable finds!

I remember getting buffalo nickels for change in high school at lunch time....wish I had held onto those. :)

brianc053

Jan 27, 2015
Morris County, NJ
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
i love finding Buffalo Nickels.
It looks like yours doesn't have a date, Randy. I had some like that too, so I tried something called Nic-A-Date which is an acid that is supposed to reveal the date.

Out of six nickels that I tried it on I was only able to get barely-visible dates from two of them. It did NOT work well on the four Buffalo Nickels I had dug up while metal detecting, although it worked on one of those (barely). I also had two Buffalo Nickels in a coin collection from when I was a kid, and it was able to reveal the date on one of those two.

Just thought I'd share the experience.
- Brian

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I had a whole roll of dateless Buff's that I saved when I was a kid. You could still find dateless Buff's in change in the 60's. I used nic-a-date on them all and got dates on all of them. Some were even semi key dates. Good fun on pretty much worthless collector coins. Gary

brianc053

Jan 27, 2015
Morris County, NJ
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I had a whole roll of dateless Buff's that I saved when I was a kid. You could still find dateless Buff's in change in the 60's. I used nic-a-date on them all and got dates on all of them. Some were even semi key dates. Good fun on pretty much worthless collector coins. Gary

You got dates from all of them? Wow, I wonder if I’m doing something wrong.
Were your coins metal detected coins, or coins from circulation? (I think it works much better on coins from circulation).

Here’s one that I happened to have here in my desk, because I was using it as my most comprehensive experiment. This one was dug up metal detecting. I’ve put the nic-a-date on it for a total of at least an hour. I started with 10 min, then 20 min, then 30 min. I don’t feel like it did anything.

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1614259583.176642.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1614259592.070225.jpg

Ben Smith

Aug 16, 2008
Warrensburg,Missouri
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Buffalo Nickels.....

Great finds! My late Uncles, (twins) both were “Gearheads” from early on in the childhood.
long story Short, they both were big time Ford “Flathead”
fans. They both had overhauled a number of these engines, and one thing they both agreed on, was that if you found an “Original” factory flathead V8, you would find “ Buffalo nickels” under the intake manifolds, where they mate to the engine block, kind of spacer of sorts) I’m guessing the machine tolerances weren’t that great in the 30’s and 40’s lol.
Just thought I’d share.
Ben Smith

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You got dates from all of them? Wow, I wonder if I’m doing something wrong.
Were your coins metal detected coins, or coins from circulation? (I think it works much better on coins from circulation).

Here’s one that I happened to have here in my desk, because I was using it as my most comprehensive experiment. This one was dug up metal detecting. I’ve put the nic-a-date on it for a total of at least an hour. I started with 10 min, then 20 min, then 30 min. I don’t feel like it did anything.

Yes, all of mine were from circulation, not dug. Gary

JeffInMass

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2006
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Explorer XS, Fisher CZ6A
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice finds- Congrats!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions