Buffalo nickel acidizing for a date ??

fishnnut

Jan 22, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So if a guy takes a no-date buffalo nickel and uses acid to try and recover the date if it's a key or semi-key date is it of no value? I watched some you tube videos of guys doing this and thought well the no date is probably only worth .25 to .50 before using acid so not much value to lose..I know cleaning or altering a coin isn't a good thing but in this case what is there to lose?

coinsareawesome

Bronze Member
Apr 6, 2013
Mid-Atlantic Region
Detector(s) used
Ace-250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Truthfully, if you find a coin that has no date, in my opinion it is worth trying to find a date on it. If it's a semi-key or key date, you just made quite a few bucks. If it's not a valuable date, then it's worth the same than if it didn't have a date on it.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I doubt anyone would be interesting in paying much for an acid dipped coin. Too many counterfeits out there. If you want to do it for your own amusement, fine, but, don't expect to increase the value much. I mean, you're starting with an AG coin at best (most likely a cull), so you're not going to raise the grade to any great extent, and for sure won't improve the wear.

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If it's a coin like the 1913 high mound they can be identified without the date.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You got nothing to lose...go for it....

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
I doubt anyone would be interesting in paying much for an acid dipped coin. Too many counterfeits out there. If you want to do it for your own amusement, fine, but, don't expect to increase the value much. I mean, you're starting with an AG coin at best (most likely a cull), so you're not going to raise the grade to any great extent, and for sure won't improve the wear.

I don't understand your correlation between acid treating nickels and counterfeits? Also, you don't dip them in acid. It is just a drop of the solution and you don't treat the entire coin.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Careful use of acid can make a date on a coin. It can also remove a hoof to make it 3 legged. If you see an acid treated surface on a coin, it should raise red flags.

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
Careful use of acid can make a date on a coin. It can also remove a hoof to make it 3 legged. If you see an acid treated surface on a coin, it should raise red flags.

Have you use nic-a-date before? That's not really how it works.

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't believe he has. Like you said, it doesn't work that way.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have you use nic-a-date before? That's not really how it works.
Sure it does. Nic-a-date has ferric acid as it's main agent. Acids etches metal. Nickels have a composition of 75% copper and 25% nickel (except the '42-5 war nickels). The stamping process concentrates the nickel more in the unraised areas and the copper is in higher concentration in the raised sections. It's a bit more complex than that, but, I want to keep it simple to understand. Ferric acid attacks the nickel more than it does the copper causing the raised areas to remain and the other areas to be eaten away by the acid. The result is the appearance of more detail. The acid leaves a different surface appearance than an untreated coin. That can be seen easily with a good loupe. Nic-a-date isn't the only stuff out there that will etch a coin. Other chemicals that will attack the copper can be used to actually change a date or remove a feature. I'm just saying that you should be careful when buying a nickel that has been treated, regardless of which actual chemical is used.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread