Buffalo nickel, tax tokens, Barber dime, and help identify.

rodo717

Greenie
Mar 6, 2015
Arizona
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For little over a year, I have been viewing treasurenet. I think it is truly amazing some of the finds that are shared and posted. I look forward to reading about your adventures and viewing the pictures that you post. As a result of your sharing your stories, I have begun to metal detect and I find that it is a very enjoyable hobby. This is my first post.

I metal detected a park close to where I live and I dug some interesting finds. I found a few wheat pennies, two tax tokens, a buffalo nickel, and a Barber dime! Additionally, I found a medal of some sort. It appeared to be made of brass and I believe that at one point it had a pin on the back. Any help identifying this item would be greatly appreciated.

In closing, please keep posting your finds. It helps others, like myself, realize how exciting this hobby is and gives me hope in finding some of the great items that you have found and posted.

Thank you.

101_7606.JPG 101_7608.JPG 101_7610.JPG

Upvote 3

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I’ve used about all modern ones but right now: CTX 3030, White’s MXT Pro, XP Deus, Vaquero, White’s TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Last edited:

Bartek

Apr 5, 2014
Northern NJ
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations on the finds! Welcome to the hobby :)

park pirate

Gold Member
May 16, 2013
City of Rensselaer (upstate NY)
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800-Explorer SE -Sovereign-GT- -Whites 6000 Di pro SL-Specturm XLT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds looks like you're of to a good start welcome to the forum...

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
congrats on the great finds

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most definitely ARMY 25th infantry regiment. Korean war maybe?

OP
OP
R

rodo717

Greenie
Mar 6, 2015
Arizona
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pointman and trdking,

Thank you for the reply. You indicated that the medal might be 25th regiment. I did a little research and I found that this medal may have belonged to a Buffalo Soldier. I looked on one of the web sites and sure enough, there was a drawing of the metal (unfortunately, no photo). It looked exactly the same as the posted picture. It turns out that the Buffalo Soldiers did deploy to this area during the time of Pancho Villa. They even had an outpost on one of the nearby hills located within a few miles of town. It is amazing that this medal may have belonged to one of them!

It is nice to know that when I have a question about something I find, this forum has the experts to help.

Thank you.

pescadore

Mar 4, 2007
Schertz, TX
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex+
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice variety of finds. Finding a Barber dime on your first hunt is extremely cool. Took me a long time to find one .
Pesc

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds. I like finding tax tokens. Congrats on your first Barber dime

Top Member Reactions