Build a scuba platform out of a catamaran sailboat help

timeline

Tenderfoot
Nov 13, 2006
I do lake diving in Northern Indiana and I have an old small one man catamaran sailboat that I am wanting to make into a diving platform. The catamarans are only 10 feet long so I am talking small but for smaller lakes I don't think the size would be a problem.

Does anyone have links to pictures or ideas about what to include?

Some of the things I've come up with is a T ladder, some lines to hook stuff to or to hold onto, small storage area and a net type deck to put the small gear on when your done with your dive and still in the water.

I look at some other forums but most of that was about the bigger catamarans and what I got from them was the catamaran sets high in the water.

Skimmer

Nov 2, 2006
Hi-
Sounds like you've hit all the high points, except:
YOU NEED SOMEONE ELSE ON THE BOAT!!! Diving alone is a no=no....ask anyone who has had some experience.
The "one man catamaran" is fine for sailin, but someone to watch out for your safety is mandatory.
I don't want to read a sad story about you in the paper.
Mike

MikeDahms

Jun 25, 2008
Jacksonville, NC
I have to ask why? I understand you have this thing already so you want to use it. Do you not have a boat? What are you going to be able to do with this that you can't do from a shore dive. I ask these questions not to pick but to understand what you're attempting to accomplish.
Where in Indiana are you? I grew up near Columbia City. Best to you,Mike.

Zebago

Greenie
Feb 6, 2008
Maine, USA
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II, X-Terra 70 and Tesoro Tiger Shark
Rather than lecture you on the obvious, I'm going to contribute to the topic you asked about...

Are you going to put a motor on it? Or sail to your destinations? I thought about doing the same. I was going to use it to do boat moorings and odd scuba jobs for people, so I would put a hand powered winch or block and tackle to pull stuff up off the bottom. Or use lift bags. Also maybe a compressor to fill your lift bags rather than using up your tank. A tool box, anchor, tank rack with spare tanks, first aid kit, dive flag... Have I swamped your boat yet? :D

allen_idaho

Dec 4, 2007
Culdesac, Idaho
I would probably build a small floating platform which could be easily dragged behind a boat. It could then serve as a mobile base of operations.

I would build it out of aluminum with a pontoon base for increased stability. Double gear/equipment lockers in the center for balance where you could keep tools, first aid kits, extra gear and weights.

Plenty of tank rack space to accommodate multiple dives and/or divers.

A fold down entrance/exit platform which can be lifted out of the water when not in use or during transportation.

Plenty of padeyes to tie off multiple anchors, guide lines, etc.

Here are some pictures of a simple model I created to show what I'm talking about. It is not to scale. It is just an example.

It could be built relatively cheap, which is the important part.

Attachments

• platform.jpg
    platform.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 727
  • platform2.jpg
    platform2.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 730
  • platform3.jpg
    platform3.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 910

Zebago

Greenie
Feb 6, 2008
Maine, USA
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II, X-Terra 70 and Tesoro Tiger Shark
Very cool AI! :thumbsup: Just what I had in mind. It could even be towed by a jet ski.

OP
OP
T

timeline

Tenderfoot
Nov 13, 2006
Thanks guys, this what I was looking for. Great ideas I hadn't thought about.

FISHEYE

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2004
lake mary florida
Detector(s) used
Chasing Dory ROV,Swellpro Splash 2 pro waterproof drone,Swellpro Spry+ wa,Wesmar SHD700SS Side Scan Sonar,U/W Mac 1 Turbo Aquasound by American Electronics,Fisher 1280x,Aquasound UW md,Aqua pulse AQ1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is our converted pontoon boat into a salvage deckboat.Very simple yet very functional.Just a small 4 stroke 7,5 hp honda to move it around.low to the water so you can get in an out of the water without strain.

Attachments

• deckboat.jpg
    deckboat.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 1,487

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread