Building From Scratch

Go!d&$ilver

Greenie
Jun 6, 2016
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Has anyone ever built their own metal detector from plans or scratch? If so what plans did you use?

I have an associates in electronics and would like to try building a metal detector, but I'm having a hard time finding resources to start the design. There are a lot of basic overviews of how metal detectors work but i can't find any technical information. For example what coil sizes/frequencies can detect what depths, the effect of coil shapes,circuit block diagrams and schematics, etc.

Are there any websites that get into the nitty gritty theory of metal detector design?

Feb 25, 2008
Jackson Purchase area of western Kentucky.
Detector(s) used
Minelab Vanquish 540. Fisher CZ-21; Bounty Hunter SS II; Garrett Carrot.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Has anyone ever built their own metal detector from plans or scratch? If so what plans did you use?

I have an associates in electronics and would like to try building a metal detector, but I'm having a hard time finding resources to start the design. There are a lot of basic overviews of how metal detectors work but i can't find any technical information. For example what coil sizes/frequencies can detect what depths, the effect of coil shapes,circuit block diagrams and schematics, etc.

Are there any websites that get into the nitty gritty theory of metal detector design?

The PI Polish is very popular in Brazil and people even build them and sell them here. Foriegn manufactured detectors are very expensive here.
This one seems to be quite capable if you build it according to the plans.

PI Polish - Build your Metal Detector

Here is a different kit based one you can get.

How to build a Surf PI 1.2 pulse induction metal detector from a DIY kit. | Be cheap and DIY:

Have fun.

If I still had the tools and space I would build one.

You might find these project descriptions useful as well:

Geotech - Technology for Treasure Hunting

Last edited:

steve1357

May 17, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Fisher Teknetics Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
Go!d&$ilver

Go!d&$ilver

Greenie
Jun 6, 2016
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thank you for the links. That's what I had read that PI detectors are the best.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions