Built a Surf PI kit - Took it to the beach!

1869er

Jan 5, 2009
Florida
Detector(s) used
White's MXT, Garrett Freedom 2 C.C., 1st detector was a 1970's Compass, Finished a MD Surf PI from a kit - my most recent MD.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I built one of those Silverdog Surf PI kits, finally got everything enclosed and after lots of tests and fixing of bugs, I took it to the beach last night. I found only clad coins, iron and bottle caps, and a gold plated pin. However one of the pennies I dug up was probably the deepest one
I've ever dug at the beach.... Compared to other detectors I owned.

It works great! It'll pick up a gold ring in the air at about 13.5".

The kit itself was fairly easy to build... There are many close up photos of the board with all the components in place around the net, just make sure all the parts are arranged correctly, and carefully soldered in place, and have a volt meter close by... However it gets more difficult building the coil and then hooking everything together in a way that works well. After a lot of reading and adjustment my Surf PI finally stable.

I still need to adjust a few things. There's only a velcro strap locking your upper arm in place and it isn't comfortable. Also the pots for volume, delay, and threshold need knobs and better seated into the PVC housing. All and all it a great clone of the White's Surf PI, and I'm really pleased with the first night testing it out in the field!

Here's a photo of how it looks now. Shaft is made out of a broom stick. Initially the coil was ringing false targets all over the place. It turned out to be to thin and flimsy, so I wrapped strips of burlap hot glued to the coil, and painted on a think coat of fiberglass resin over it. Search coil is stable now although the detector looks like it belongs in a tiki hut.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 491
Last edited:

roadrunner

Bronze Member
Jan 28, 2012
Pinal Mountains,Arizona
Detector(s) used
Garrett Groundhog-2012-1st MD.
White's Goldmaster V/Sat-2nd-MD-2013
Tesoro Lobo-2015-3rd
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
How deep was the deepest coin at the beach you tried?
There is another thread about building MDs here.I will go look up the url and paste it here.

Thread on Tnet for Pulse MD

Last edited:
OP
OP
1869er

1869er

Jan 5, 2009
Florida
Detector(s) used
White's MXT, Garrett Freedom 2 C.C., 1st detector was a 1970's Compass, Finished a MD Surf PI from a kit - my most recent MD.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It seemed like it was about 14"-16" deep... However I was digging in a water/sand hole without a scoop, only a long screwdriver as a probe. Its very possible that the coin went deeper each time I shoveled out the sand with my hands. So, difficult to say for sure. i realize at this point that I need to get a good scoop for water beach hunting.

liftloop

Silver Member
May 7, 2008
lakelinden mi
Detector(s) used
MXTdeepscan 8by14dd, bulls eye 2, 5900diprosl Maxima1500, Master Hunter cx plus Treasure Hound, surf
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
looks like a two litter splastic bottle would work great

liftloop

Silver Member
May 7, 2008
lakelinden mi
Detector(s) used
MXTdeepscan 8by14dd, bulls eye 2, 5900diprosl Maxima1500, Master Hunter cx plus Treasure Hound, surf
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For a housing that is ...

penzfan

Bronze Member
Apr 12, 2014
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 - Excal 1000 - Excal II - Sovereign GT - RTG/Oleg Scoops - XPointer
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
I'd bet it would be phenomenal at finding homemade jewelry.

DDancer

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2014
Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Past Whites DFX Garret GTI 2500 and others
Prospecting Minelab GPZ 7000
Past SD 2100 GP 3000 (retired)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Been a while since I've seen a homebuilt. Good on ya :thumbsup: