Built My Own Coin Tumbler

DFXKEV

Oct 29, 2006
The Whole set up

DC Motor And Tub

Here is my results after 2 hours of spinning on the left is spun and on the right unspun

So i think it works ok with not to much effort after i spin them for a couple of hours i punched a dozen holes in a coffe can to strain the glass bead from the coins and then while there in the can i rinse them off with water and dry them and put them into a dry coffee can. well there it is my first atempt to tumble coins hope this helps people and im always up for sugestions for improvement or further cleaning. i built this cause i am a tinkerer and had all the parts avaible to me so this tumbler cost me nothing to make but if u wanted to build this unit the motor gearbox is like 120$ and the drive is 70 probaly not costeffective to build but like i said i had the parts. My future improvements would be to make 2 more tumble jars maybe one more for detergant tumble or a rinse timble

Functional

Feb 16, 2007
Okanagan Valley, British Columbia, Canada
Detector(s) used
A Compass Magnum 420 recently brought back to life. And an untested "in the wild" Teknetics.
Looks like a good unit. Not sure how long the coffee can will last, but those are cheap to replace.

I was at a thrift store with a friend a few weeks back and saw a rock tumbler / stone polisher there. I already had one, but I didn't have any of the stuff that goes with it and this one did, so I bought the one from the thrift store for $3. Its made by Rapco Inc. of Chicago. Saw a couple on eBay sell for $9.99 plus shipping so I figure I'm ahead of the game there.

The one I had was actually a stronger construction and motor, but now I have all the polishing compounds and a spare tumbler. If only winter would go away so I can hunt up something to polish.

smiley-bad.gif

F.

Functional

Feb 16, 2007
Okanagan Valley, British Columbia, Canada
Detector(s) used
A Compass Magnum 420 recently brought back to life. And an untested "in the wild" Teknetics.
Capefearsman said:
I also have a rock tumbler but no polishing componds, Where did you find glass beads?

Mine came with the tumbler, but I would think most any industrial supply company could supply those. They supply plastic beads and various types, (grades), of sand to sand blasting companies.

F.

AeroMike

Apr 5, 2007
SE Area of Nevada
Detector(s) used
Minelab eTrac, Minelab Equinox 800, Minelab Excalibur II, Whites MXT, Tesoro Tejon
If you have a Harbor Freight, they sell glass beads

Yeti

Mar 22, 2005
Missouri/ Kansas
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE/ Explorer XS/ White's Eagle II sl
Glass beads

Most Cities, counties, and state municipalities that paint streets has glass beads. Thats what they put is the line marking so you can see the lines at night. Most of them will give you some if you just ask the paint crews.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread