Bullet and button!!

CMartis

Jan 3, 2014
Northwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Civil war bullet, not sure what kind yet.

Bullet.jpg

This button is hollow, seems like it may have been purple. Looks like it has eagle wings with a shield in the middle and something sticking out the top of the shield. Letter "I" in the shield. Anyone know a possible date range on this thing?

Button with I.jpg

Upvote 5

HomeGuardDan

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2011
Williamsburg, VA
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds - you have a CS gardner bullet and a Eagle I (Infantry) button. Now, we find eagle letter buttons commonly in CS sites. if you found those two together, I would go back and work it very carefully. The button was never purple, that is just the ground action from being in the grounds 150+ years.

OP
OP
C

CMartis

Jan 3, 2014
Northwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Wow, I had no idea it was a civil war button! I thought their buttons were solid and flat. Just searched some pictures online and it is what you say it is. Union Infantry button! I found them around 30 yards apart in front of a old Union hospital. Can't wait to get back out there.

Jpro

Jun 23, 2013
Nashville, Tn
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Civil war bullet, not sure what kind yet.

View attachment 940161

This button is hollow, seems like it may have been purple. Looks like it has eagle wings with a shield in the middle and something sticking out the top of the shield. Letter "I" in the shield. Anyone know a possible date range on this thing?

View attachment 940163

Nice CW finds..they will display nicely.
The Gardner is in great dropped condition with a very nice patina.
Congrats!!

parsonwalker

Bronze Member
Feb 16, 2013
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Modified GI Mine Detector (In the 60s)
Metrotech (In the 70s)
Tesoro Tejon (Now!)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Bam! A lot of CW relic guys would consider those two finds to be a fantastic day. Weird that the two things you found are unusual finds. The Gardner is far less common than most CW bullets, and an Eagle button with ANY letter is fairly rare for most of us.

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your starting the year off with excellent finds! Congrats! GL. HH!

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Niceeeeeeeeeeeee! Congrats!

HomeGuardDan

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2011
Williamsburg, VA
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bam! A lot of CW relic guys would consider those two finds to be a fantastic day. Weird that the two things you found are unusual finds. The Gardner is far less common than most CW bullets, and an Eagle button with ANY letter is fairly rare for most of us.

It is funny that you say that - I learned a long time ago, it is all about location, location, location. For years in NC, gardners seems ultra rare. Even at prime CS sites, we dug enfields and blob-top three ringers, but hardly any gardners. Now living in VA, I have literally dug hundreds of them. My buddy Bill D and I talk about it all the time with coins. In NC, I dug 1/2 and 1 reale spanish coins, the lower currency was mostly george coppers. Here in SE VA, we dig cut silver coins for lower currency and almost no george coppers (except for VA Half Pennies).

Geographic areas make all the difference at times. Another reason why I love the hobby.

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher f75/1270/1266x/Radio Shack Treasure tracker/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nice finds.keep on gettinit.:icon_thumleft:

parsonwalker

Bronze Member
Feb 16, 2013
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Modified GI Mine Detector (In the 60s)
Metrotech (In the 70s)
Tesoro Tejon (Now!)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
It is funny that you say that - I learned a long time ago, it is all about location, location, location. For years in NC, gardners seems ultra rare. Even at prime CS sites, we dug enfields and blob-top three ringers, but hardly any gardners. Now living in VA, I have literally dug hundreds of them. My buddy Bill D and I talk about it all the time with coins. In NC, I dug 1/2 and 1 reale spanish coins, the lower currency was mostly george coppers. Here in SE VA, we dig cut silver coins for lower currency and almost no george coppers (except for VA Half Pennies).

Geographic areas make all the difference at times. Another reason why I love the hobby.

Wow. I didn't know that! But it makes sense . . . !

OP
OP
C

CMartis

Jan 3, 2014
Northwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks everyone. Believe it or not I've only got about 10 hours total metal detecting. Just got my Garrett Ace 350 about a month ago. I have fallen in love with the hobby. I did a little research on the Civil war and did some scouting on Google Earth. Found some land owners on the local tax assessors website and asked permission. I started with the best location and they said yes!! I sent the guy that got me started in detecting a picture of my finds and he couldn't believe what I found today. He said beginners are suppose to start out finding the insignificant stuff first. lol I can't wait to see what else is out there!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread