ScubaDetector

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2016
Port Huron MI
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
2 Fisher CZ-21's 8 and 10" coils
Tesoro Tiger Shark 8 and 10" coils (Interchangeable)
Minelab E-Trac with Sun Ray Probe
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Looks like a modern bullet and not a 3 ringer. Do you know the diameter of it?

sjvalleyhunter

Silver Member
May 5, 2014
Central California
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac and Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
At 15 mm it would be a .59 caliber, which is huge and I believe even larger than a typical civil war three ringer. It doesn't appear that big in your picture, but I too agree it's modern.

OP
OP
D

davekatz

Jan 2, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for all your help!

The bottom is shaped like a cone and looks like the .54 three ring on the third row down far left but maybe a little deeper. I know it isn't a civil war era bullet but it was still a very surprising find for a residential area near downtown and the white patina is/was really nice.

If you heard it once you've heard it a thousand times, you all on the east coast are really spoiled! I can only dream of finding anything really old. If anyone in the east is willing to host for a few days please hit me up. I'll fly there in a heartbeat :)

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One has to remember that after the civil war the government went to all breech loading firearms and most of the muzzle loading stuff was sold off as surplus. Hence many were used for the next fifty years by hunters. There are were many more round balls and other bullets fired while hunting or target practice than all those fired during the civil war. Poorer folk used muzzle loaders for many years after the advent of cartridge guns since they were cheap to buy and cheaper to shoot than cartridge guns and killed game just as well. It is not uncommon to find minie balls all over the country that were used for hunting.

Appalachianman76

Aug 22, 2016
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Garrett AT Pro
Garrett Pro-Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with Gunsil. Plus, there where Union Forts in the San Fransisco area during the Civil War. These were to protect the gold coming out of California to San Fransisco to be shipped back east to fund the Union War effort. Alcatraz had a garrison with soldiers and cannons as well as Fort Point which sits under the Golden Gate Bridge. The Confederate raider CSS Shenandoah was planning to attack on San Fransisco in 1865 but the captain found out that the war was over and turned around. Thus, no action was ever seen in the area. However, San Fransisco played a vital role during the Civil War and relics from the Civil War can be found to a smaller degree in the area. It might seem out of place, but there is good evidence that this is a Civil War Period 3-ringer and not a modern bullet.

Fullstock

Bronze Member
Oct 14, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It sure looks like a fired Civil War period mini ball to me.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread