OP
OP
N

NSdigbug

Greenie
Feb 23, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
PS this is not a pulled bullet wood plug comes out and cavity in the nose is smooth not threaded, found 3 so far among many smooth sided.

Upvote 0

TheCannonballGuy

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2006
Occupied CSA (Richmond VA)
Detector(s) used
White's 6000, Nautilus DMC-1, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Your bullet is a British Snider-Enfield bullet, dating from 1866 on into the 1880s. Made for use in the .577 Snider-Enfield rifle. Many were sent from Britain to Canada for use by the Royal Canadian Mounted Police... which explains why you found yours in Nova Scotia.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snider–Enfield

I should mention, some diggers think those bullets are from the American civil war time-period, but they are definitely from no earlier than 1866.

I see you are a brand-new member here at TreasureNet. Welcome to T-Net's "What Is It?" forum, the best place on the internet to get unknown objects identified CORRECTLY. :)

Upvote 0

fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your bullet is a British Snider-Enfield bullet, dating from 1866 on into the 1880s. Made for use in the .577 Snider-Enfield rifle. Many were sent from Britain to Canada for use by the Royal Canadian Mounted Police... which explains why you found yours in Nova Scotia.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snider–Enfield

I should mention, some diggers think those bullets are from the American civil war time-period, but they are definitely from no earlier than 1866.

I see you are a brand-new member here at TreasureNet. Welcome to T-Net's "What Is It?" forum, the best place on the internet to get unknown objects identified CORRECTLY. :)

Can you tell me what the wood plug in the nose is? Could it be a pulled bullet that, by chance, a piece of wood or root got into it?

Upvote 0

TheCannonballGuy

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2006
Occupied CSA (Richmond VA)
Detector(s) used
White's 6000, Nautilus DMC-1, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Fyrffytr1, some versions of the 4-groove ("4-ring") .577 Snider Enfield bullets came with a wood plug in the bullet's nose. Others had a solid nose. Others had a red clay plug or an iron cup in the base. But these bullets are definitely not a Minie type. "Early" (late-1860s) Snider Enfield bullets came in a thick paper cartridge with a metal base and self-contained primer, and later ones had an all-metal cartridge. See photo and info at:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.577_Snider

The .577 Snider Enfield was a breechloader, so bullets would not be pulled from it... just open the breech and remove the defective cartridge. See the Wikipedia link about the .577 Snider Enfield rifle I includeded in my previous post.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
N

NSdigbug

Greenie
Feb 23, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you so much answers where what I was looking for. Love the site

Upvote 0

fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fyrffytr1, some versions of the 4-groove ("4-ring") .577 Snider Enfield bullets came with a wood plug in the bullet's nose. Others had a solid nose. Others had a red clay plug or an iron cup in the base. But these bullets are definitely not a Minie type. "Early" (late-1860s) Snider Enfield bullets came in a thick paper cartridge with a metal base and self-contained primer, and later ones had an all-metal cartridge. See photo and info at:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.577_Snider

The .577 Snider Enfield was a breechloader, so bullets would not be pulled from it... just open the breech and remove the defective cartridge. See the Wikipedia link about the .577 Snider Enfield rifle I includeded in my previous post.

Thank you.

Upvote 0

fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm sure there was a reason for a wood plug in the nose but this is the first example of one I have seen. Would it be the equivalent of a modern soft point bullet?

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions