Bullet sinkers, a smashed lock, and a few other bits and pieces...

aquachigger

Jul 29, 2008
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Recent digs... I found some interesting bullet sinkers recently as well as a nice variety of hand made ones. The brass lock has been smashed open with a hammer. Must be a story there. I'm not sure what the iron tool is in the middle. I haven't ever run across anything like it except that the hand forged ends do remind me somewhat of a curry comb. If anyone knows, please chime in. I'm going to post it over on the "What is it?" forum this evening if it remains unidentified. I have found quite a few combs in this spot. It was a good day all around! Thanks for checking it out!

Attachments

• P8100010.JPG
    P8100010.JPG
    151.5 KB · Views: 495
Upvote 0

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Beau,Them boys did some fishin now,been followin your posts for awhile,that silver cache was a real eye opener for sure!!!!!!Congrats on the banner.I'll be headin out to the lake within the hour.GodBless HH Chris

DMN

Bronze Member
Apr 19, 2009
Do you suppose the sinkers could have been made after the CW? I imagine there were a lot of bullets around and one could just dip them from the stream, flatten it and viola! instant sinker. Just a thought.
Looks like you have the side of a fishing reel bale there as well. Interesting finds, as usual.

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Could that "tool" thing be part of a push pole? Nice recovery's :thumbsup:

CMDiamonddawg

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2009
Jersey Cape
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1265X & CZ-7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
buy a s dredge for that place , fish while you wait for more stuff to roll into the box :D the place has it all :icon_sunny: 8)

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Northern Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Do you do anything but hunt AC?-LOL. More nice finds. The iron "Y' shaped piece reminds me of an Austrian-Lorenz gun tool like the one shown in my pic and that pic is also shown is in the latest issue of North South Traders Civil War Magazine within my article. . It's hard to tell the dimensions from your picture but my AL gun tool measures 3 in. tall max. height by 4.75 in. max. width.
The piece that you found more closely resembles the Enfield gun tool as shown on page 97 #8 of Howard Crouch's "Civil War Artifacts" book as shown in the second pic but that's just a guess without dimensions and a better pic. HH, Quindy.

Attachments

• Yankee Ridge site.jpg
    Yankee Ridge site.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 280
  • Crouch\'s Book.jpg
    Crouch\'s Book.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 280
OP
OP
aquachigger

aquachigger

Jul 29, 2008
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
VOL1266-X said:
Do you do anything but hunt AC?-LOL. More nice finds. The iron "Y' shaped piece reminds me of an Austrian-Lorenz gun tool like the one shown in my pic and that pic is also shown is in the latest issue of North South Traders Civil War Magazine within my article. . It's hard to tell the dimensions from your picture but my AL gun tool measures 3 in. tall max. height by 4.75 in. max. width.
The piece that you found more closely resembles the Enfield gun tool as shown on page 97 #8 of Howard Crouch's "Civil War Artifacts" book as shown in the second pic but that's just a guess without dimensions and a better pic. HH, Quindy.

Hi... Thanks for the information, but it's actually quite a bit larger than a gun tool. I know it's hard to tell without something good for scale. I'm going to post it up over in the "What is it?" forum. Those guys/gals will chew this over and have it answered in no time.

littlebill31

Jul 2, 2011
Southern Delaware
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Woodland Detectors said:
Pretty soon and you will have the worlds largest CW sinker collection! Seriously

Oh ya!!! I would like to see all, everyone, of those sinkers, and bullets, layed out on a table. Well, you would probably need something a whole lot larger than a table to do that though.
Really great finds once again!!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread