Jan 31, 2015
Baltimore, Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Finds while the O's lost to Seattle.

Met Ed at a Baltimore park today. He kindly treated me to lunch at the Hilltop Deli. Afterwards I headed back to the park for 4 more hours.

Lots of interesting finds. I think I found a carved minie ball. The picture shows an intact example, found at another Baltimore park (top left) and the "carved" minie ball to the right. The color and weight are a good match.

Other notable items are: an 1882 Indian, a 1921 wheat, $0.66 in modern change, top to a lipstick case, a junk ring, some pottery shards, a penknife from which I've posted the shield emblem, and a Winchester Repeating Arms 32 cal. Smith and Wesson bullet intact..

Thanks for checking out the pics and Happy Hunting.
Finds.jpg

Upvote 10

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on the sweet hunt. How did you clean that Indian. Was it that color when you dug it?

Texas Ed

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2016
Texas Gulf Coast
Detector(s) used
AT Pro - CZ-3D - Tesoro Cortez - Sea Hunter Mark II - GTI 2500 - GTAx 550 - F75 S E - F19 - Pro Pointer AT - Pro Pointer II - Perdator Raptor Model 31
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on your IH - wheatie & other finds- thanks for sharing your pictures with us.

Texas ED

OP
OP
McCDig

McCDig

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2015
Baltimore, Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks L-D. I think that the side that's up is subject to more corrosion. Regardless, I scraped the IHP with a piece of wood and got it as clean as possible that way. It came out of the ground with a green patina and I could tell that it was well-preserved. After scraping the dirt off, I decided to give it a dip is some hot peroxide. Out of the peroxide I went over it with a tooth brush and water, put a little olive oil on it and wiped it clean. There are other IHPs I've dug that have had such a solid patina that scraping only was enough. I don't put all those I dig through the peroxide. The peroxide does two things: (1) it will remove the green oxidation and that will reveal any of the surface pitting that the green was hiding, and (2) it will remove surface dirt. IHPs from the park I was hunting typically have a black dirt layer, that once removed, reveals a great amount of detail in the coin.

OP
OP
McCDig

McCDig

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2015
Baltimore, Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks ATW. Ed was very generous in treating me to lunch. The Hilltop deli is on Fort Ave. (as in Fort McHenry) and features a large menu. Ed got a roast beef gyro and I had buffalo wings "Old Bay" style. "Old Bay" is a seasoning Marylanders are grew up with for steamed crabs.

OP
OP
McCDig

McCDig

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2015
Baltimore, Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks Texas Ed! The IHPS are few and far between for me at this park, but I got a goodun yesterday.

OP
OP
McCDig

McCDig

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2015
Baltimore, Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks, Thrifty76now. Very pleased to have found a 95 y.o. and a 134 y.o. coin in the same hunt.

OP
OP
McCDig

McCDig

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2015
Baltimore, Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks Art! Every now and then I find a live round. This one looks like it has some age on it.

Tommy G

Bronze Member
Dec 5, 2015
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds, with some good detail on the IHP. The .32 bullet looks really old. May just be the photo, but the primer looks huge! Thanks for sharing.

OP
OP
McCDig

McCDig

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2015
Baltimore, Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks Tommy G! The lead does have that white patina and you're right about the primer. IMG_3624.JPG IMG_3626.JPG

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread