Bullets

Greg407

Jun 11, 2013
SF Bay Area
Detector(s) used
Whites VX3 - 6x10, 5.3, & 950 Coils

Whites XLT - 5.3 & 950 Coils
Hi all,

I know next to nothing about old bullets and ammunition, but I stumbled onto an older site that is giving up a lot of old bullets of different shapes and sizes (calibers, I know). I took a picture of a few of the different bullets and was hoping for some help specifically with the dating of them.

Also, if you're knowledgeable and willing to explain how you date billets, I'd really appreciate it as I love to learn about the relics I dig up.

I put in the bullet lodged into the piece of wood as a bonus because I just thought it was pretty cool.

Thanks for your help!

G

Attachments

• image-1898487571.jpg
    image-1898487571.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 81

Tedyoh

Bronze Member
Apr 13, 2013
N.E. Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, NOX 600, XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm 100% sure that the bullet in the wood and the rifle bullet on the far right are post CW, the copper jackets tell you that, 95% sure that your first 3 lead bullets are also post CW, all 3 look to have a reeded groove for crimping, reeded bullets are post CW as well I believe, someone will correct me if Im wrong, the musket ball could be old because it looks to be larger than .50, if you measure it with calipers someone with a lot more knowledge than me about CW and pre CW projectiles may be able to help you.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
G

Greg407

Jun 11, 2013
SF Bay Area
Detector(s) used

Thank you VP and Ted.

That info on the thread was very helpful.

Ted, that is not a surprise at all as I am in California and found these bullets on a homestead site that dates to the late 19th century and which had been a hunting resort in the early 20th. The oldest coin that I've gotten out of there is an 1870 Seated Half. The site as a whole was pretty much devoid of coins other than that half and a 20-something Merc that I pulled from there as well.

Thanks again for your help!

Upvote 0

TheCannonballGuy

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2006
Occupied CSA (Richmond VA)
Detector(s) used
White's 6000, Nautilus DMC-1, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Greg407 wrote:
> Also, if you're knowledgeable and willing to explain how you date bullets, I'd really
> appreciate it as I love to learn about the relics I dig up

As Tedyoh indicated, bullets which have a "reeded" body-groove are strictly from after the American civil war. They first appear around 1877... and are still being manufactured today. The body-groove contains multiple tiny parallel ridges, and is technically called a "knurled cannelure." See the photo below.

Bullets which have a thin copper (or brass or steel or nickel) "jacket" covering the bullet's lead body first appear in the late-1800s... and are still being manufactured today. The purpose of the bullet's "jacket" is to keep the soft lead from clogging the gunbarrel's rifling-grooves.

You can learn a lot about correctly time-dating bullets at bullet-collector websites
such as THE CARTRIDGE COLLECTOR
and
Bullets
and in collectors'-reference books
such as ""A Handbook Of Civil War Bullets & Cartridges" (costs about $12 at Reference Book List)

Super-precise measuring is crucially needed for CORRECTLY identifying bullets (and coins), because even as little as .02-inch (two 1/100th-inch) can make a difference in the bullet's (or coin's) correct ID. So, I urge diggers to spend $15 on a good-quality (stainless steel, not plastic) Digital Caliper for super-precise measuring of bullets, buttons, and coins.
4" Digital Caliper

Attachments

• bullet_POSTWAR_reeded-groove_32caliber_photobyBebo_DSCN0245_855x642.jpg
    bullet_POSTWAR_reeded-groove_32caliber_photobyBebo_DSCN0245_855x642.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 69
Upvote 0

Tedyoh

Bronze Member
Apr 13, 2013
N.E. Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, NOX 600, XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you VP and Ted.

That info on the thread was very helpful.

Ted, that is not a surprise at all as I am in California and found these bullets on a homestead site that dates to the late 19th century and which had been a hunting resort in the early 20th. The oldest coin that I've gotten out of there is an 1870 Seated Half. The site as a whole was pretty much devoid of coins other than that half and a 20-something Merc that I pulled from there as well.

Thanks again for your help!

Greg - cherish your lead found in CA - I'm pretty sure lead bullets are banned in CA now, especially for hunting! You are doing better than me with silver on 1800's sites, although I have found many, many early IHP's and 2 cent pieces from my sites, the 1800's silver has eluded me......I'm guessing my sites have been cherry picked over already, even as remote as they are......good luck and get the calipers as CBG suggested......he's truly The Man on ID'ing cartridges and bullets, past and present.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
G

Greg407

Jun 11, 2013
SF Bay Area
Detector(s) used

Man, you guys are awesome with your knowledge! I will definitely be reading up on projectiles and shell casings to help me date the sites I'm detecting.

Ted, that was actually my first 1800s coin (silver or otherwise) and I was bemoaning that fact to my hunting buddy on the way to the site that day. Funny how that works out sometimes!

Thanks again for all of your help and I think I will invest that $15.

G

Upvote 0

Hot zone

Bronze Member
Apr 26, 2012
Clark County Washington
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark 8" coil, vaquero 8"x9" and 5.75" WS, clean sweep coil, Gray ghost deep woods headphones

Whites TRX pointer
, Garrett gold stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Actually the precision of measurement should be in the thousands of on inch... Example an unfired 3006 bullet measures .308" ,303 British .312"and 8mm bullet measures .323"...

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread