Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T-2SE--Whites Prism IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found in a Western Ma. town. (don't ask) From what I researched, ONLY 1 known to exist from Burgoynes Army. Besides being an Artillery relic, which was only 5 percent of the entire British Revolutionary War Army, I can also get the ID of the soldier it was issued to because of the "rack" or ID issue number of 53 on it! Have already called " Royal Artillery Regimental Museum" in Woolrich London, England. I was directed to call West Point, Library of Congress,(Smithsonian Libraries), or Battery Records of Royal Artillery- by Laws, to get muster rolls or payroll rcords to track this info down. I'll find this soldiers' records if it takes forever! Hogge :thumbsup:

Attachments

• sp07-001.jpg
    sp07-001.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 1,017
  • sp07-001.jpg
    sp07-001.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 723
Upvote 0

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Burgoynes Army, 1st Royal Artillery Battallion, Cartridge Box Sling Belt Tip

:icon_thumright:

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Burgoynes Army, 1st Royal Artillery Battallion, Cartridge Box Sling Belt Tip

A valuable relic to start with--made even more valuable once you have the soldier's information.

:)

Derek752

Bronze Member
Nov 30, 2006
Central,Ny
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other

I hope you track down the owners name Hogge , its a fantastic relic :occasion14:

Derek :icon_profileleft:

Jimmy(PA)

Jan 3, 2008
USA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F-75 and a Minelab Explorer XS with Gray Ghost Originals

WOW! Nice find. I still havnt found any rev war items. At least Identifiable ones.

johnreb1980

Jan 7, 2008
Plainville,Ga
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266x and White's MXT 300

That is one sweet find,way to go. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
hogge

hogge

Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

kiddrock33 said:
hmmmm burgoyne? heh heh heh any idea what that cartridge box looked like ?
I have the book....Neumann and Kravics' Collectors Illustrated Encyclopedia of the American Revolution. Pages 80 and 225. If you hunt older sites you may want to buy a copy of this to ID some of your finds. Burgoyne brought only 4 of the 8 companies of the 3rd Battalion Royal Artillery over with him for the Northern Campaign. (A total of 464 officers and men)Along with a detachment of 70 Royal Irish Artillery, and some of the men of the 1st Battalion, RAR ,that were already stationed in Quebec.( The Hessiens had their own artillery detachment) Of those, only a total of 257 of these men actually participated in the march south to Albany. To make up the shortage of Artillery men, members of the 33rd Regiment of Foot were assigned artillery duty and attached to the RAR. The rest were garrisoned at Fort Ticonderoga, down with disease, and garrisoned at other smaller towns along the way. There was a detachment of Royal Artillery in Boston and another in Cornwallis' Army of the south, which was not even close to my area. THAT'S IT! We have surmised it was part of captured material. Many of the 2300 of these troops were housed, for a period of time, in a building now known as Patricks Pub, (a makeshift jail), at Park Square in Pittsfield Ma.(approx. 7-8 miles from where I found this relic), awaiting their march back to Boston, as a condition of surrender, from the Battle of Saratoga. I can actually get into more specifics but I think I'll wait for the paper I'm writing about this relic and the man it actually belonged to, as well as his life story. :wink: ;D :icon_study: FACT not FICTION! You may want to click on the Banner, go back, and see who actually, first, ID'ed this relic for me. History is a pretty cool thing, and by the way, something I was VERY good at, and interested in, in school. Especially military history. :icon_study: Do you even know who Maj. Gen.(Gentleman Johnny) John Burgoyne was??? :icon_scratch: I even know the names of the ships, what Regiments they carried, tonage of supplies, when they embarked, disembarked, dates.......etc....etc. Before you start making comments.......know what you're commenting about!

Golden1

Bronze Member
May 2, 2008
Pittsfield ma
Detector(s) used
Whites PRIZM IV,Whites M-6

hogge said:
kiddrock33 said:
hmmmm burgoyne? heh heh heh any idea what that cartridge box looked like ?
I have the book....Neumann and Kravics' Collectors Illustrated Encyclopedia of the American Revolution. Pages 80 and 225. If you hunt older sites you may want to buy a copy of this to ID some of your finds. Burgoyne brought only 4 of the 8 companies of the 1st Battalion Royal Artillery over with him for the Northern Campaign. (A total of 464 officers and men)Along with a detachment of 70 Royal Irish Artillery.( The Hessiens had their own artillery detachment) Of those, only a total of 257 of these men actually participated in the march south to Albany. To make up the shortage of Artillery men, members of the 33rd Regiment of Foot were assigned artillery duty and attached to the RAR. The rest were garrisoned at Fort Ticonderoga, down with disease, and garrisoned at other smaller towns along the way. There was a detachment of Royal Artillery in Boston and another in Cornwallis' Army of the south, which was not even close to my area. THAT'S IT! We have surmised it was part of captured material. Many of the 2300 of these troops were housed, for a period of time, in a building now known as Patricks Pub, (a makeshift jail), at Park Square in Pittsfield Ma., awaiting their march back to Boston, as a condition of surrender, from the Battle of Saratoga.(approx. 7-8 miles from where I found this relic). I can actually get into more specifics but I think I'll wait for the paper I'm writing about this relic and the man it actually belonged to, as well as his life story. :wink: ;D :icon_study: FACT not FICTION! You may want to click on the Banner, go back, and see who actually, first, ID'ed this relic for me. History is a pretty cool thing, and by the way, something I was VERY good at, and interested in, in school. :icon_study: Do you even know who Maj. Gen.(Gentleman Johnny) John Burgoyne was??? :icon_scratch: I even know the names of the ships, what Regiments they carried, tonage of supplies, when they embarked, disembarked, dates.......etc....etc. Before you start making comments.......know what you're commenting about!

Well that takes care of that :thumbsup:
Very well put Hogge :thumbsup:
Could not have said it better myself ;D

G1

kiddrock33

Jun 14, 2003
Massachusetts

you mistook what i said. i believe you do have one of burgoynes mens artifact. i simply wanted to know what that cartridge box looks like. i too am looking for burgoynes mens artifacts. i wanted to see if what i see are the same.i thought because of our common search you would be interested in seeing these objects in person.

OP
OP
hogge

hogge

Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

kiddrock33 said:
you mistook what i said. i believe you do have one of burgoynes mens artifact. i simply wanted to know what that cartridge box looks like. i too am looking for burgoynes mens artifacts. i wanted to see if what i see are the same.i thought because of our common search you would be interested in seeing these objects in person.
All I do is metal detect. I stumbled on this relic by accident at an old cellar hole. I'm not specifically looking for artifacts. I, and I'm sure some others that follow your posts, want to see some of these artifacts. Post something, not videos, but things you have found. Truthfully, I hope you have found these artifacts and good luck excavating them. #1-- I didn't misunderstand what you wrote as a comment on this post. #2--I am stating facts. #3-- If you have located these artifacts anywhere other than...Dalton, Hinsdale, Peru, or Washington, It doesn't belong to Burgoynes Captured Army. Let me ask you this.......All these troops that were being guarded by the Continental Army, do you think that, while being marched back to Boston, ( in 3 seperate groups mind you),<(did you know this little fact), The Continental Army just let a few men carrying chests of coins and gold and such, wander off unguarded, and bury this stuff in a cave or something???? Think about it. I mean...C'mon. Whatever you have found...you can be CERTAIN, it's not buried treasure from Burgoynes Army. What you should do is read "between the lines" in Digby's Journal, from pages 318-325, and you'll see what the "war chest" is refering to. I was a union representative and organizer at Mead paper in Lee a few years back. I learned one hard truth. "You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink!"

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread