buried flash drive

mikebourgeois

Jun 1, 2018
Victoria, BC
Detector(s) used
White's Treasure Master and a Makro Kruzer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found a flash drive buried in the roots of a moderate sized tree. It wasn't protected so I'm guessing it was an accident rather than on purpose. Could you recover the info on a flash drive that was buried or is it pretty much toast? It had some dirt in the end of it... (trying to think of proper part name but I'm drawing a blank) but I've cleared most of it out already. I'm hesitant to put it in my computer lest it do something funky... but do you think it'd survive the burial?

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
metal_detector.gif
Just clean the connector the best you can and it will probably work. Now, if you are concerned about what is on it - many Virus Programs have the ability of "scanning" the contents of a drive right off the bat. If you don't want to take a chance on your computer - go over to your neighbor and...JUST KIDDING! :laughing7:

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
I once found a mircro SD card in a bag of coin I bought off the machine at a bank. Curiosity got the best of me and I installed it on my camera, viewing someone’s plain old family photos. It also rendered my camera pretty much useless afterwards.

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I once found a mircro SD card in a bag of coin I bought off the machine at a bank. Curiosity got the best of me and I installed it on my camera, viewing someone’s plain old family photos. It also rendered my camera pretty much useless afterwards.
metal_detector.gif
What do you mean by "useless afterwards?"

hucklburry

Dec 18, 2010
I'd be more worried about dirt in the USB slot of my computer - but if you put the flash drive in, and don't open it yet.

open file explorer, it should show up as a drive on the left. Right click on it, and you should have the option to scan for viruses, do that first and make sure its clean. Let us know what you find?

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'd be sure to let it sit in a bag of rice for a day or 2 before I plugged it into my USB port.

GA_Boy

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2006
Jefferson, Ga
Detector(s) used
BH LRP
1265X,
GoldBug II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would not be curious enough to plug it into any device for fear of damage.
Marvin

OP
OP
M

mikebourgeois

Jun 1, 2018
Victoria, BC
Detector(s) used
White's Treasure Master and a Makro Kruzer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would not be curious enough to plug it into any device for fear of damage.
Marvin

I know... I feel that way but the not knowing is kinda digging at me. I mean it's a mysterious treasure hidden in the earth in the wooden arms of a tree. It's low end... 250 megs so whatever there isn't huge if anything. I'll gather my courage, clean it and perhaps see what treasures it holds.

Vhoov

May 9, 2016
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, AT Pro, Pro pointer AT,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If it was a suspected terrorists flash drive they would uncover the data if it was in salt water for a year and then ran over with a paver.

kingskid1611

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2015
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wouldn't mess with it. It is probably only $100,000,000 in old digital currency somebody squirrelled away on it.

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
New England, Somewhere Metal Detecting in the Wood
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
Spare Teknetics T2 SE (backup)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
Keep us posted, I am now dying to know what is on it. Last year I found an older cell phone under and inch or two of dirt, I grabbed the microSD card and put it into my computer. About 20 family photos from 2013 were on it. The phone somehow still almost worked, it just got hung up at the last stage of the boot up.

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Someone saw you find it. That's the opening scene of a long chase movie. Good luck.

CaptEsteban

Bronze Member
Jul 26, 2011
My friend found a micro SD card several years ago , about 25 miles away from where we live. . I brought it home & cleaned it VERY WELL with alcohol & a soft brush . Got it to download & it was full of nice vacation pix. I posted pix online of 2 of the people in the pix, who I thought may be the owners. I did this several times over the years, & finally found out who they were. They only lived 3 miles from me & were happy to get it back !

bologna321

Bronze Member
Aug 26, 2017
SW MO
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO, Garrett Ultra GTA 500, Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I found an ipod nano 3" down in a soccer field, the screen is toast but it was full of Justin Bieber i could still access unfortunately

jhittle

Jun 7, 2016
Vancouver WA
Detector(s) used
â—„ Minelab CTX 3030
â—„ XP Deus
â—„ Minelab Equinox 800
â—„ Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread