Buried Napolean payroll in Canton, Ohio?

cthayerusmc

Tenderfoot
Feb 24, 2012
Canton, Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I recently came across a minor article about the possibility of gold from a Napolean payroll supposedly hidden in Canton, Ohio. The story relates that Andrew Meyers was a privateer during the War of 1812 and due to the loss of ships loaned to the US, was given a land grant in the area now known as Canton. There isnt too much information available about where the strongbox may be hidden other than likely within his mansion or the ten acres surrounding it. Its not much to go on but i did hear another story of a farmer in years past that tilled up gold coins in that general area. I have yet to find the source of the farmers tale but still looking. The mansion burned down in 1975 and was never rebuilt and no record of any major finds in the area have ever been reported. The biggest obsacle i have run into thus far is finding the exact location of where his home stood. The only clues ive found are that it stood on the eastern side of 13th Street and Broad Ave and it was built on a knoll overlooking what is now Meyers Lake. All my calculations put Lehman Middle School on top of the site but I could be wrong. If you have any further information to add or would even like to help please let me know!

BigJonnyG

Jun 28, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You are correct in that the current location of the new Lehman Middle School is the old location of what I called "Meyer's Mansion". I played in those woods growing up and have seen the house standing (in disrepair) and also watched it burn down. I also have been in the burned out shell. My friend Larry, now deceased, and I did a lot of digging in the Stark County library about the estate as he too believed that there was buried money up there. We read where Indians had once lived on the property and used to get milk and other foods from the family. They lived by a very large and old oak tree. We located only two such trees in the woods but never any money. I was very upset to see them clear the land for the school because it erased all of the history and the possibility of finding anything from that era. If one worked the site and found anything it is long gone. We used to plant fake money around to entice others and once we also outlined a "dead" body up where we drank to scare away others! I have also had many girls up in the woods as well...lol. So, you are correct. The only searchable land would be the grassy area to the north of the school going to 15th St. N.W. where my parents live.

BigJonnyG

Jun 28, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Also, I am going through my fathers Abstract of the Title to the land and it goes all the way back to the grant from President James Madison to Bezaleel Wells land Patent 8/10/1811 (the original issuance). Andrew Meyers, Sr. bought the land from Bezaleel Wells & Sally Wells in a Warranty Deed for $11,000 9/11/1817.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread