Buried treasure: Long lost Steamboat Malta found under Missouri farm land

OtakuDude

Apr 16, 2007
Monee, IL
It’s estimated between 300 and 400 boats have sunk along the Missouri River. In Malta Bend, Missouri, there’s one that sank loaded down with expensive and rare trading goods, and it’s been underground for nearly 200 years. That may soon change...

https://www.kmbc.com/article/buried...malta-found-under-missouri-farm-land/27396060

Squirrel322

Silver Member
Jul 4, 2016
Central MI
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Equinox 800, Go-Find 66, ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What is that thing he is using early on in the video? A dowsing rod?

Squirrel322

Silver Member
Jul 4, 2016
Central MI
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Equinox 800, Go-Find 66, ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The proton magnetometer, also known as the proton precession magnetometer (PPM), uses the principle of Earth's field nuclear magnetic resonance (EFNMR) to measure very small variations in the Earth's magnetic field, allowing ferrous objects on land and at sea to be detected.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Proton_magnetometer

That dude is a rock star.....

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The arabia museum is a cool thing to check out. Had a great time there

Kace

Bronze Member
Aug 15, 2017
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Whites Bullseye 2 Pointer, Audio 200 D Headphones,
Garrett AT MAX, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT, MS-3 Headphones,
Lesche Digger, Lesche Shovel, 4' T Handle Probe.
GoPro, RC Truck, Drone.
Primary Interest:
Other
The arabia museum is a cool thing to check out. Had a great time there

It's Well Worth Going To for Anyone coming through KC. There could be some issues now with the Malta as far as space. KC Does Not Need To Lose Either.

Hawley's will find more of the ships.

Kace

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's Well Worth Going To for Anyone coming through KC. There could be some issues now with the Malta as far as space. KC Does Not Need To Lose Either.

Hawley's will find more of the ships.

Kace
The City should buy and donate a building for this treasure.

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This will be a good story to follow. Thanks for posting it

I read that if they could just get one cargo load of goods to the frontier during those times a riverboat could profit on just that one trip alone enough to cover the cost of the whole boat. Any other successful runs was big money for the owners of those stemboats, as long as they didn't sink. Someday I'm gonna stop and see the Arabia Museum, but I did see the artifacts of Bertrand in Nebraska couple years ago. I enjoy researching and reading the stories of those old times on the rivers of this country. You know there's gotta be a lot of treasure still sitting under those old channels covered in tons of silt.
http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/my-daily-snapshot/541007-steamboat-bertrand-april-1865-a.html

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The City should buy and donate a building for this treasure.
Well being the total population of Malta Bend having just 250 soles in 2010, that might be putting a bit of pressure on the city budget. Still a popular travel destination in their little town might be something to think about.

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well being the total population of Malta Bend having just 250 soles in 2010, that might be putting a bit of pressure on the city budget. Still a popular travel destination in their little town might be something to think about.
I was talking about the Arabia. The lease is up on the building next year and it looks like they are looking for a place to move it, big enough to house both boats and contents. The City should back this guy. 3 million os nothing for the history that comes out of the hole. He found bottles of pickles that were so well preserved that they opened and ate some of the contents! They said it was still good. They found goodyear rubber shoes that are the only one remaining in the world because UV light ate away everything above ground years ago. This is Brand new antiques coming out of barrels 30 feet down.

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was talking about the Arabia. The lease is up on the building next year and it looks like they are looking for a place to move it, big enough to house both boats and contents. The City should back this guy. 3 million os nothing for the history that comes out of the hole. He found bottles of pickles that were so well preserved that they opened and ate some of the contents! They said it was still good. They found goodyear rubber shoes that are the only one remaining in the world because UV light ate away everything above ground years ago. This is Brand new antiques coming out of barrels 30 feet down.
Oh! Okay TK... I got 10 bucks that says they will find some unused ready to sell Ames shovels on that boat.

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh! Okay TK... I got 10 bucks that says they will find some unused ready to sell Ames shovels on that boat.
and gold pans? mercury? How about some Goooooold? They did not find any on the Arabia but it was supposed to be carrying the payroll worth thousands. I wonder if they all kept their mouths shut like proper treasure hunters? :)

Kace

Bronze Member
Aug 15, 2017
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Whites Bullseye 2 Pointer, Audio 200 D Headphones,
Garrett AT MAX, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT, MS-3 Headphones,
Lesche Digger, Lesche Shovel, 4' T Handle Probe.
GoPro, RC Truck, Drone.
Primary Interest:
Other

Ya...Like TK said, They would like to keep both ships at the same location in KC. I agree the city needs to make it easy for this to happen. I hope you get to see it.

There's so many more of these ships with cargo in basically pristine condition buried in fields from the river changing over the years....The Hawley's and their friends found the Arabia. I know locally the land owners around the river are Easy to work with to recover these old steamships.

Very Cool and Amazing To Look Back In Time.

Kace

BLK HOLE

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2017
Northern Virginia
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT MAX/AT PRO/GPX-4500, Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer,NEL Attack Coil, Lesche diggers, and the custom made in the USA Freeloader Pack Mule Pouch!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very cool story and discovery! 37 feet down....I get excited if I get 10" from my machine :laughing7:

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
and gold pans? mercury? How about some Goooooold? They did not find any on the Arabia but it was supposed to be carrying the payroll worth thousands. I wonder if they all kept their mouths shut like proper treasure hunters? :)
I'm thinking the cargo might be more like homesteading needs. It sunk in 1841 and thats before the boom in most mining regions of the Rocky mountain west and the California gold rush. What ever they uncover should reveal a lot of what it was like living on the Western Frontier during those times. If I was to speculate what they'll find, it might be things to cultivate the land and maybe some game getting firearms of the period along with trade good as I don't believe there was all that much tension between the native Americas and early settlers at that time. In the case of the Bertrand, they did salvage weapons and a canon or two I believe before it slipped away into the mud. That boat had a lot of mining related supplies heading for the early gold rush country of Montana. It was also loaded heavy with armament to combat the hostile indians of that time in 1865.

Last edited:

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can't even imagine digging thru all the contents freaking cool

Top Member Reactions