Bronze Member
May 19, 2014
Montana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Deteknix X-Pointer, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
When I started this hobby I had the luxury of being able to detect sometimes 4-6 hours a day. I found tons of clad at my local parks. I found 20 rings and other silver jewelry. Now I go back to those sites and the pickin' is not as easy. Targets are not as stable and I feel like I am starting all over again. My detector feels like it has turned on me and won't give me good info. I find myself getting tired easier, knees not working as well, and getting discouraged. I love this hobby, but I feel like I need to regroup. Has this happened to anyone else?

foilfinder

Jul 15, 2014
Ardmore Ok.
Detector(s) used
Sovereign/WOT,Goldquest,DFX,Tesoro DeLeon,
Fisher Impulse.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That`s allot happening, Maybe high voltage power lines are to blame, did you try another location?

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes. It happens often to me. Just finding the time now days is hard. I have many new places to try have done the research it is just having the time to metal detect. I have learned to not worry about it and just go when I can. Hang in there!:thumbsup:

gsxraddict

Sep 21, 2005
Resaca, GA
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab Equinox 800, Whites V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
stay out of parks, get in people's front yards and your burnout will vanish in a cloud of smoke.

kyleeskastles

Jun 21, 2014
birthplace of texas
Detector(s) used
BH sharpshooter II, BH pioneer 202, garrett csi pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yup has happened to me too, think its just a part of being new to the hobby and being stuck to parks. I havent had any luck with private property owners and have been turned down very rudely in all but 1 place, which my luck be had was too overgrown to do anything lol. So now i just go a few times a week to the park and not for long. Im in the land of not sure what to do anymore. Best way to explain it is having a hobby you love doing, but cant do it because of things beyond your control. Really sucks. But i do got something to look forward to. We are moving to colorado in march, so i can supplement my metal detecting, to detecting old panning and gold rush sites while also panning for gold, or do a lil of both at different times here and there. Cant wait either, colorado land is alot more public in alot of areas now owned by the bureau of land management and they welcome the public :)

myfantasia1

Oct 3, 2008
Colorado, Denver
Detector(s) used
Ace 350, and now AP Pro. and AP Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The same here. But I still do parks, schools, and I love to find where the bums ( and we have tons) sleep.

OP
OP
mikeraydj

mikeraydj

Bronze Member
May 19, 2014
Montana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Deteknix X-Pointer, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
We don't have bums or homeless here. If someone ever matches that description they are given a one way bus ticket out of town. Problem solved.

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep it happens, you just have to think out side the box and find a way around it. Everything is still out there we just have to change our perspective on it and how we go about it! Never give up!

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Maybe research the history of the area you're hunting in to feel a better connection to it! Best of luck!

Last edited:

RJ55

Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2014
western NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/Garrett Pro Pointer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
through the years I've been aggravated with fewer finds than I thought were normal, even selling off my gear. After a while I would think why in the world did I do that? This time around I have a new spark in metal detecting, and I think it's got a lot to do with all the knowledge, and helpful hints I am getting through this forum. So thanks fellars!

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just renewed my permit to find several restrictions placed on the hobby. Just took the wind out of my sails. Most of the desert surrounding the town has been declared a National Monument. Now I live in the middle of a desert hundreds of miles from anything, and you cant even turn over a rock. Seems the fun police has been working overtime here. Time to sell out and find a better place to live. Right after november.

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe research some smaller towns , off the beaten track a bit , and try hunting less obvious and heavily hunted locations .
The new locations will re invigorate your detecting .

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
It's physiological. You found the easy fickins and it satisfied you. Now the satisfaction is not there as the easy fickins are gone. It happens to all of us. it's part of the learning curve of detecting. What you need is fresh territory or a move up from the parks. Hay, I have found more gold in old backyards than parks. And if you have the smarts take a crack at cache hunting. That can be very satisfying. Not just with the finds but with figuring out the riddles that have evolved as today's treasure stories. Start with simple ones like the old man who stached his savings and then died without telling where.

Just an Idea, Frank...- five star.png

Doug H

May 23, 2014
Cumberland, VA
Detector(s) used
White's coinmaster pro
Garrett at pro
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Other
yup has happened to me too, think its just a part of being new to the hobby and being stuck to parks. I havent had any luck with private property owners and have been turned down very rudely in all but 1 place, which my luck be had was too overgrown to do anything lol. So now i just go a few times a week to the park and not for long. Im in the land of not sure what to do anymore. Best way to explain it is having a hobby you love doing, but cant do it because of things beyond your control. Really sucks. But i do got something to look forward to. We are moving to colorado in march, so i can supplement my metal detecting, to detecting old panning and gold rush sites while also panning for gold, or do a lil of both at different times here and there. Cant wait either, colorado land is alot more public in alot of areas now owned by the bureau of land management and they welcome the public :)

Yep this is me...just trying to find a place to go makes this hobby a pain. Love to do it but can't find places to go. Those of you that have places or permission from land owners consider yourselves fortunate cause the people I've talked with, you may as well be asking for their first born.

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett Pro Pointer (mine). Fisher F2 my son's
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Patience, Patience, Patience! Lol! Just keep at it. The more people you meet the more places open up. I just gained permission to hunt three ancient historical homes, one old home, and an old power plant, casket factory and a couple old lumber mill sites on an old river bank...

Doug H

May 23, 2014
Cumberland, VA
Detector(s) used
White's coinmaster pro
Garrett at pro
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Other
Patience, Patience, Patience! Lol! Just keep at it. The more people you meet the more places open up. I just gained permission to hunt three ancient historical homes, one old home, and an old power plant, casket factory and a couple old lumber mill sites on an old river bank...

I think its more like location, location, location diesel. Reading on here it seems like people get permissions in some places easier than others depending on locales. Virginia is not a metal detecting friendly state because of all the civil war history here and consequently every private individual here thinks they are frickin living on a historical monument or something.

masterjedi

Bronze Member
May 24, 2014
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab's CTX 3030, E-Trac & EQ800, Fisher F75LTD SE & F44, Whites MXT All PRO, Whites TRX Pointer & Shovel, Predator Tools Raptor hand digger & Ranger shovel. Grey Ghost Ultimate headphones.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In any pursuit burnout is always a risk. Take a break, do some research, or just get away from it all together for a while. I do this often. Burnout usually comes around when we start feeling like we have to go, or we need to go. Sometimes I just don't feel like I even want to go, and so I don't. :thumbsup:

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Yep this is me...just trying to find a place to go makes this hobby a pain. Love to do it but can't find places to go. Those of you that have places or permission from land owners consider yourselves fortunate cause the people I've talked with, you may as well be asking for their first born.

It's just that you haven't learned the secret of getting permission yet!
You don't just go up ,knock, and ask permission! You go up knock and sell yourself!
Here are your two sale points, GREED & ABILITY!
He doesn't want to be bothered untill you show him that it just mite be profitable for him, GREED!
He has to believe you know how to locate valuable items without destroying his yard, ABILITY!
NOW HERE'S THE EASIEST WAY TO SELL YOURSELF!
It was once said, "A picture is worth 1000 words."
Here's my picture---- Frank...- five star.png

A1-   BARBARA'S HOUSE.jpg
Hay, that $3K ruby ring I found there really helps. Have people asking me to look at their yard!

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread