Burnt coins in brinks box provide nice surprise

JeffG

May 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I picked up two boxes yesterday but due to working late was only able to open one. I got ten coins that were burnt or ? :icon_scratch:

photo.JPG

photo.JPG

I was able to make a date out on 1 and it was a 1968 so started to scrub as I could tell that they were all JFK's. I used an SOS pad and found that four out of the ten were 40% including 2 bicentennials the 68 and a 69. also got a 1987 S clad proof but that one is going back in dump bag as it is a mess.

photo.JPG

Can anyone tell me how to clean the 4 40% as the SOS pad thing is not a fun option :)

Good luck,

Jeff

Upvote 0

bigscores

Aug 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's probably your best option. I usually wouldn't condone cleaning the coins, but hell, if they're already burnt, they're already damaged, you're just gonna make 'em look better. Just bullion value anyway.

usernameerror

Apr 30, 2012
East Coast
Primary Interest:
Other
Are you sure they were burned? I found a similar 40%er that was almost black/greenish. I just used the baking soda/salt and hot water method to clean.

OP
OP
J

JeffG

May 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
if it was just the 40% I would think maybe some other type of "corrosive" but since there were also clads that looked like this ?? ??? ???

lhaase

Greenie
Sep 6, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Louisiana hot sauce and lemon juice. Soak over night. It does wonders!!! Sometimes no scrubbing needed after you rinse.

OP
OP
J

JeffG

May 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Once clean it is pretty easy to tell but the sound test is my sure bet when in doubt.

Good luck,

Jeff

Generic_Lad

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2010
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Quick Draw
Primary Interest:
Other
Once clean it is pretty easy to tell but the sound test is my sure bet when in doubt.

Good luck,

Jeff

Well, for Bicentennials you can just look for the "S" mintmark, if its got one and its not a proof, its 40% silver. If it is a proof you've got to use the sound check.

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
It looks like the 40%er in the pic isn't burned, but metal detected. Put it in vinegar for MDed coins.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread