Vending machine hit

normalizer

Sep 3, 2012
Nashville, TN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350, Garrett AT PRO, and Garrett Pro Pointer. Hope to one day be good enough to justify buying a Whites V3Xi.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
He guy that does the vending machines where I work is about to come by so I decided to try an experiment. Put a marked quarter in and hit coin return, got a -different- quarter back.

:)

Had $3 paper in my pocket so put that in, hit coin return, and got it back as quarters. Went through it and got a '63 quarter! Put the rest back in and hit return, did this over and over till it ran out of quarters. I ended up losing $2.25 when it could no longer make change but that one silver should cover the loss.

Time to start hitting the laundry and arcades.

Upvote 0

tokameel

May 20, 2012
Mequon, Wi
Detector(s) used
In 1974- White.
Now a Garrett Ace 250.
8/30/12 using a Zircon m40 Stud Finder as a hand held pin pointer.
Primary Interest:
Other
Welcome aboard normalizer!

We need a name for this new hobby. In a Coke machine, this technique might be called PoPspecting.
Or Vend-o-Detecting........

Generic_Lad

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2010
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Quick Draw
Primary Interest:
Other
Or just do a quarter at a time. Honestly though, nickels are where its at if you are going to try this because a good chunk of recent vending machines will reject the heavier silver coins while a war nickel is exactly the same as a standard alloy nickel as far as the machine is concerned (same weight, diameter, even same electo-magnetic signature which is why they used manganese in it if I recall correctly and that's why they turn that ugly shade of green and its the same reason why "golden" dollars turn black with even the slightest hint of circulation)

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
Or just do a quarter at a time. Honestly though, nickels are where its at if you are going to try this because a good chunk of recent vending machines will reject the heavier silver coins while a war nickel is exactly the same as a standard alloy nickel as far as the machine is concerned (same weight, diameter, even same electo-magnetic signature which is why they used manganese in it if I recall correctly and that's why they turn that ugly shade of green and its the same reason why "golden" dollars turn black with even the slightest hint of circulation)

It's my understanding that some of the coins will fall into a collection bin.

Last edited:

usernameerror

Apr 30, 2012
East Coast
Primary Interest:
Other
I've tried my luck on a vending machine. I put in four $5 Bills but got nothing but clad. I may have to try your method one day.

bigscores

Aug 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been putting $10 a week into coin machines at the billiard hall. Over the past two years, I've found 1 silver quarter, a '60. Few and far between.

OP
OP
normalizer

normalizer

Sep 3, 2012
Nashville, TN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350, Garrett AT PRO, and Garrett Pro Pointer. Hope to one day be good enough to justify buying a Whites V3Xi.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well, I tend to drink lots of sodas and eat snacks do it all goes back in by days end.

I chatted up the vending guy right after posting this and told him I had started coin collecting, would he mind selling me his coins some days.... They take them back to hq for sorting, and I doubt they'd let him bring them to me for fear of getting robbed or something, not to mention the hassle involved. Might be a way tho.

If not, would be a great reason to start my own vending biz.

OP
OP
normalizer

normalizer

Sep 3, 2012
Nashville, TN
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Still though, it was just as much fun as the slots in Vegas, cost a lot less to get there, and as long as I play a coin at a time there is little risk involved. Time consuming maybe. Fun still though.

Crispin

Silver Member
Jun 26, 2012
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Coinmaster Pro, Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
Other
Has it at all occurred to you that if the machine is not making change for you then it is not making change for anybody else either? IE...you are causing whoever owns this machine to lose money. Go back to the banks...this is not cool.

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Am I the only one that thinks emptying a vending machine of its change, or especially emptying a change machine at a car wash of its quarters a pretty crappy thing to do?

MrSchulz

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2012
DeWitt, Iowa
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Custom Recovery tools, Nupla Prb4t Soil Probe 60 IN,
Primary Interest:
Other
I've done that and got a Proof Mississippi State Quarter..

canaboy123

Sep 22, 2011
N/A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
He guy that does the vending machines where I work is about to come by so I decided to try an experiment. Put a marked quarter in and hit coin return, got a -different- quarter back.

Time to start hitting the laundry and arcades.

Well first congratulations on your find,:icon_thumleft: I do something similar, a few times a week i will go to my local self service car wash and clean all the machines out of there quarters, i get a silver usually every other trip, its most likely hurting there business because customers can no longer get coins to operate the machines but hey i gotta get quarters....

Do most vending machines give quarters back if you put a $1 bill in and get change?

Last edited:
OP
OP
normalizer

normalizer

Sep 3, 2012
Nashville, TN
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I only did it because I knew the vendor was coming in the next couple minutes to check it. It DID occur to me about running it out of change, that's why I did it when I did.

On a similar vein, about 15 years ago the vending lady accidentally filled the coffee machine with Susan B's instead of quarters. Let's just say a friend of mine emptied that sucker out immediately.

OP
OP
normalizer

normalizer

Sep 3, 2012
Nashville, TN
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
kevinbomb123 said:
Do most vending machines give quarters back if you put a $1 bill in and get change?

I've got no idea, but I'll be finding out soon.

PhattyB

Apr 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's my understanding that when you insert coins into a vending machine, they fall into a collection bin. The change dispenser should be stocked separately.

That's partially incorrect. Yes, there is a collection bin, but it's only an overflow. When the coin mech is not full, it refills itself with inserted coinage.

PhattyB

Apr 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Am I the only one that thinks emptying a vending machine of its change, or especially emptying a change machine at a car wash of its quarters a pretty crappy thing to do?

No, you're not. It's a STUPID thing to do. The chances of finding silver is a vending machine is almost NILL. Take it from someone who stocks them for a living, you're pretty much wasting your time. If you're gonna do it though, stop at about $10.

canaboy123

Sep 22, 2011
N/A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No, you're not. It's a STUPID thing to do. The chances of finding silver is a vending machine is almost NILL. Take it from someone who stocks them for a living, you're pretty much wasting your time. If you're gonna do it though, stop at about $10.

Its still funny to drain the machines of quarters.

yao-ming-****-that-guy-rage-face-1-1.jpg

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread