pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
It takes its daily stroll past the barn.
Just hoping to get a bit of chicken.
Stopped in the yard for a little bit.
DSCN2406.JPG
DSCN2403.JPG
DSCN2397.JPG
DSCN2392.JPG

robertk

Bronze Member
May 16, 2023
Missouri
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
White's Spectra v3i
Garrett Ultra GTA 1000
Whites Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice photos, indeed a beautiful animal. It's a shame they like chicken, but you can't blame them for being hungry, and they're better than some animals. At least they'll just take a chicken and go make a meal of it. A raccoon will get in the coop and kill every chicken it can reach, and not even eat them.

OP
OP
pepperj

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very nice photos, indeed a beautiful animal. It's a shame they like chicken, but you can't blame them for being hungry, and they're better than some animals. At least they'll just take a chicken and go make a meal of it. A raccoon will get in the coop and kill every chicken it can reach, and not even eat them.
It usually gets one chicken a season. Probably when they have a litter of pups.
It seems to be the same thing every year.

Some folks would just shoot them, but the thought of a litter of kits not eating is not my option.

They do eat lots of other vermin that's around, mice, rats.
So they earn their place, on my place.

OP
OP
pepperj

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Our local fox comes to the pasture to hunt voles. The hawks fly over looking for voles and are lucky to get one. The coyote comes and might get one in a half hour. The fox puts his nose in the wind and smells them. He finds and eats five in 15 min and is in his way.
I believe they're on par with a cat that's a good mouser, probably better most times.

billb

Silver Member
Sep 23, 2010
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2,,silver sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great pictures Pepper..
I love the colors of the fox
Thanks for sharing with us

Johnnybravo300

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2016
South of Gunnison, Gold Basin
Detector(s) used
F2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
We lost a few chickens this last summer to a fox and then it never came back around again. He jumped out of the bushes just feet from my wife to grab them and run off before she could react.

I wonder if it was an old fox that couldn't hunt so well anymore and he had to take those chances, possibly dead now.
I'm like you man, I cant kill those critters. As much as I hate losing birds, they need to eat too.
Luckily 2 of them were young roosters so it was fine.

We have ermines and pine martens too and those little ferrets look a likes will eat chickens too. If my cats don't catch them first.

OP
OP
pepperj

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
We lost a few chickens this last summer to a fox and then it never came back around again. He jumped out of the bushes just feet from my wife to grab them and run off before she could react.

I wonder if it was an old fox that couldn't hunt so well anymore and he had to take those chances, possibly dead now.
I'm like you man, I cant kill those critters. As much as I hate losing birds, they need to eat too.
Luckily 2 of them were young roosters so it was fine.

We have ermines and pine martens too and those little ferrets look a likes will eat chickens too. If my cats don't catch them first.
Last summer I was cleaning out the barn.
Heard the rooster alarm. Chickens freaking out, so I ran outside. There was the fox with the hen in its mouth.
I was wearing a double cartridge 3M respirator at the time.
I jumped down the 10ft slope making my best Yeti yell, with arms up in the air.
Fox dropped the hen and booted it.
Wife came out and she was then between the other fox and the chickens.
It wasn't scared even, as it wanted a chicken.
They'll lay wait, ready for the opportunity.
Sly as a fox.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread