bUSINESS TO YOU OR ENJOYMENT ?

Foxtrot197

Jul 21, 2016
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Garrett AM2s with groundhog duel coils both cranked up , Garrett ace 250 , Discovery 1100
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had a wonderful week learning my equipment . I found ,4 pennys, 12 bottlecaps , a silver charm for a neclace, about 15 nails and 2 broken nails that were tiny pieces, a handfull of pull tabs,ends of copper wire and cable wire the techs left, a hammer head and metel from siding when the workers installed it when the house was built . All this in my yard and Ill tell you I feel great and like a kid again. Its such a wonderful thing once you start to understand the settings on the machines and you start to dial them in better and better. just the tineyest little bits can take you from zero to hero quick . Other than extensive research I feel a great part of treasure hunting is spending time learning your equiptment as I am greener than grass and I think I am moving into the Novice catigory. I have my wife hide a gold ring over and over on our 1 acre property and then I go search for it. What I have found with finding it over and over is that my machines are or rather I am getting fine tuned with my machines and I also am finding things i have missed on previous searches . Also I am getting much faster and I guess you would call it the sweep but my sweep is even and smooth now and at the correct speed and perfectly parralelle . Im thinking another few weeks of this and ill be ready to go . I know to all of you experienced people this is childlike but I feel great about it. DO MANY OF YOU RELAX OR CALM YOURSELF OR JUST OUTRIGHT ENJOY DETECTING OR IS IT ALL BUSINESS TO YOU ? I find this enjoyable and was wondering to how many people is it relaxing and enjoyable or is it all business ?

ScubaDetector

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2016
Port Huron MI
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
2 Fisher CZ-21's 8 and 10" coils
Tesoro Tiger Shark 8 and 10" coils (Interchangeable)
Minelab E-Trac with Sun Ray Probe
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Peace and quiet, total relaxation.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It's my obsession, that funds itself like a perpetual motion device. Love the hobby, researching, scouting for sites, and being outdoors. The pay off is when you pull a cool relic, a gold ring, or older coins from the plug. It's almost like legal gambling. Very addicting :headbang:

cactusman

Nov 15, 2015
Western USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold, AT Max, AT Pro, Ace 350, GTI-2500, Infinium LS, Scorpion Gold Stinger, Pro-Pointer AT, Fisher F75 LTD2, Gold Bug 2, F-Pulse, Whites 24K, TM-808, Schonstedt Maggie, Falcon MD 20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been detecting many years, since I was old enough to hold a metal detector, as my dad got me hooked on it. For me it is enjoyment. Next to riding motorcycles, nothing else comes close to the fun, memories, and excitement of searching for lost/hidden items (some even of value, lol.) Over the years, I have made some near business like searches for caches, but those too were/are enjoyable, just more costly and time consuming than coinshooting. One thing I always find true; whenever I get into the field, put my headphones on, turn the detector on, and start sweeping the coil is that the stress of the day, week, etc, it's all gone within just a few minutes, and replaced with things like, "I wonder what I'm going to find next?" and "Where could a ring be here?"

It sounds like you're out to a great start -- the way you are learning your machine with a "dig everything" approach, to your motivation -- I think that's great. Far too many people start off thinking of getting pounds of silver coins and gold rings right off, and get easily frustrated with all of the junk. Others just turn up the discrimination and then complain that they never find anything valuable. In time, if you stick with this wonderful hobby, you will find pounds of valuables, but what is even more valuable is the fun, the memories made, fresh air, excitement of new finds, and the search itself.

Anyway, welcome to a great hobby for those dedicated to it, and I can tell you're already seeing one of the many benefits of metal detecting -- stress reduction. You'll probably notice the fresh air and other physical benefits too, if you haven't already. It's a life-long hobby that nearly anyone can enjoy. It's refreshing to hear of someone getting started with the right attitude and dedication -- I see MANY great finds ahead for you...

bigfoot1

Silver Member
Nov 1, 2011
so.cal.mtns.
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
garrett,minelab,fisher,,,atp current weapon of choice
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
cactusman said it soooo well.It is a hobby with the caveat that I expect it to pay its own way and it does.I guess I keep score by the dollars collected,but that is just me.I look forward to every hint and coming up short doesnt upset me.It WILL come,just keep swinging and put yourself where the good stuff is likely to be.

you are on track !!!!It is refreshing to see a new person approach the hobby with the right mindset.success will be yours at exactly the moment it is supposed to happen...:occasion14:

s.c.shooter

Bronze Member
Jul 28, 2008
SC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov- AT PRO - AT Max - Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep! Agree with Lobo 100%. Addicting and fun. I do it for the adventure of finding the unknown but we all hope to pull out the treasure.

beerguy

Bronze Member
May 6, 2004
Camano Island, WA
Detector(s) used
CTX3030,
Many more on a rotating basis.
Park Ranger and Pack Mule pouches by Freeloader!
Enjoyment to the point where I wish that I could do it full time.

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its very relaxing up to the point i find something nice then its very exciting!

OP
OP
F

Foxtrot197

Jul 21, 2016
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Garrett AM2s with groundhog duel coils both cranked up , Garrett ace 250 , Discovery 1100
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes I agree , the reason I ask is that it seems like if I do tell people what my interests are and that we look for artifacts and suck they always seem to ask for their first question , HOW MUCH DO YOU GET OR MAKE ? and for me it is relaxation an stress reduction but mostly an adventure !!!! (sorry for late responce our server was down for about a week)

Chizzy

Bronze Member
Feb 11, 2015
North Central PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Vaquero, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
MDing was supposed to be a hobby to enjoy as the "retirement" years approach. I have found, however, that it is not just enjoyable, but also very therapeutic. I tend to obsess when work slows down and detecting takes my mind completely off those worries. I also use it as a challenge.......setting goals and doing my best to accomplish them. As a collector, it has enabled me to not only continue funding the mding hobby, but to also fund the purchase of the needed coins for my collection.........
In my opinion, it's a win/win all the way around.................

OP
OP
F

Foxtrot197

Jul 21, 2016
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
great response

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes I agree , the reason I ask is that it seems like if I do tell people what my interests are and that we look for artifacts and suck they always seem to ask for their first question , HOW MUCH DO YOU GET OR MAKE ? and for me it is relaxation an stress reduction but mostly an adventure !!!! (sorry for late responce our server was down for about a week)

Theres going to be a whole lot of people asking that question.
They assume we are finding gold jewelry most of the time or we wouldn't be doing this, and if we are not that it"s a waste of time. They have no concept of the relaxing side to it. Most of them do not have the patience to do something relaxing. Their loss. :D
And we do find goodies now & then!

Deft Tones

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2016
Hawkeye State - Area 515
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, XP Deus, Minelab Sovereign GT, Garrett AT Pro, Whites TRX (2), Predator Raven, Predator Raptor, Lesche Sampson
Primary Interest:
Other
Pshhhht...

The way I see it, if I'm not making at least two cents each hunt I'm losing money.

It's dangerous, stressfull, long hours, and thankless work in harsh elements. It can be tough to enjoy the work when the difference between keeping the car doors open becomes finding two crusty zlincolns. Sometimes I wonder why I bothered turning professional. I suppose somebody has to do it. :tongue3:

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First let me welcome you to Tnet and the wonderful world of treasure hunting. Becoming "One" with your machine is so important. I keep a log of every hunt.
Location, machine used, hunt times, temperatures, all finds, and any unusual experiences or events.
I found it an enjoyable activity when I first picked up a metal detector in 1970. This year, I retired. Guess what? It is what I enjoy doing more than anything else.

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
In many ways it's just like surfing was for me. Outdoors, at the beach with an awesome blue sky and an occasional stellar find, along with the exercise it doesn't get any better than this.

OP
OP
F

Foxtrot197

Jul 21, 2016
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My wife i am feeling must be related to yours in some manners as i feel she is dreaming of all the nice jewelry she may find :) . ive really thought my own question over and other than a serious desired hobby and something i have looked forward to and set as a goal in life to be able to walk again and achive the outcome of all of the research i have done for years myself rather than just giving the intel away for others to find on the splits , I will say it is a medical treatment of some sorts in many ways. It gives me exercise and also i have a goal in life now in my life plan . You know something to do and look forward to and the Docs think its a great thing that I have done so much and now i am actually doing it myself so I guess its 80% medicinal purposes for me and the other 20% to spend quality time with my wife of 25 years then i must admit i must overlap another 25% atleast as its new friends with same interests that seem to be great people as the people in my life prior to my injuries i just no longer fit into their lives. yes i would say its a medicinal hobby and a good one at that.

It's all business while I'm doing it. I like to recreate HARD. :)

Basically, I get in the zone while I'm out there. Not too interested in turning into a professional thing, though. It's all about getting away from "regular." My wife, however, is starting to see it as a business. My success haunts me.

OP
OP
F

Foxtrot197

Jul 21, 2016
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the welcome and actually thanks everyone for the ease and great repore we have felt from everyone here so far . the people here are generally nice people and very help full and although we talk here with ease i have some restrictions on my life as although my mind is ready to go like the man i was 25 years ago this 50s yeard old person i see in the mirros body does not agree with me at times and the little tips and tricks all you guys have helped us with so far really goes a long way with me as my bodys health is like a roller coaster. I go from bed or couch ridden to up and about from day to day and when i do go out I like to have results even though they are not a must but those little things mean alot here on this side. you guys are great !!!!!!

First let me welcome you to Tnet and the wonderful world of treasure hunting. Becoming "One" with your machine is so important. I keep a log of every hunt.
Location, machine used, hunt times, temperatures, all finds, and any unusual experiences or events.
I found it an enjoyable activity when I first picked up a metal detector in 1970. This year, I retired. Guess what? It is what I enjoy doing more than anything else.

bigfoot1

Silver Member
Nov 1, 2011
so.cal.mtns.
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
garrett,minelab,fisher,,,atp current weapon of choice
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
here is a little trick for making target retrieval easier when your body isnt"onboard"for kneeling and getting back up.When your in an area that a shovel can be used push it in to the depth you think you need to then use your foot to shove the shovel forward while adding a twist with your wrist.
It wont take long to get good at this and you will be surprised at how many times you flip your target on top of the loose dirt.My wife has mastered this and(she has knee trouble)she can now hunt for many hours.she has to bend at waist to use pinpointer so this trick has eliminated alot of bending.she even uses one of those grab sticks to pick up target when she can.
when you do have to get down to ground level use your shovel to help you back up.a tether to your machine helps as you can use both hands on shovel then raise your machine while standing.

I use the foot trick because I'm just faster that way but boy does it help ladyfoot alot.
cheers

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That will probably be my next equipment addition, i can't kneel either.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread