Busting bedrock

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nope, too much equipment to carry around. I suppose if there were a lot of gold in the cracks it could be feasible. So far, crowbars and gadbars have worked fine for me.

OP
OP
okbasspro

okbasspro

Jan 14, 2012
Chickasha,Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I have a gas compressor and a few hundred feet of hose was thinking might work at K River hoping the water drops and I can go and try the new combo next Sun

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You might want to focus on figuring out the finer points of dredge operation before jumping in with heavy equipment. You have to learn how to feed it right. It's an art to feeding the most material without clogging your hose or packing your sluice.

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:read2: Air tools are not meant to run underwater,but they work with the proper precautions. You need to cut a innertube up and surround it in a rubber wetsuit. Tie off bottom and top with wire around the body of the unit. Turn on air and it inflates and as you use underwater it stays inflated and much dryer than any other way. At days end blow out completely dry and reapply some lube and good to go. I much prefer a blaster nozzle from my dredge pump but whatever works for ya--tons a au 2 u 2-John

oragonads

Jan 27, 2011
Hoser John said:
:read2: Air tools are not meant to run underwater,but they work with the proper precautions. You need to cut a innertube up and surround it in a rubber wetsuit. Tie off bottom and top with wire around the body of the unit. Turn on air and it inflates and as you use underwater it stays inflated and much dryer than any other way. At days end blow out completely dry and reapply some lube and good to go. I much prefer a blaster nozzle from my dredge pump but whatever works for ya--tons a au 2 u 2-John

Exactly! Make sure you drenched that thing in oil or else any water left in it will cause it to rust and seize up, then all you have is an expensive hunk of junk.

OP
OP
okbasspro

okbasspro

Jan 14, 2012
Chickasha,Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I am not new to dredging I had a 4inch in Arizona but it has been 13yrs since I have run one. I was wanting to use the air chisle above the water I have a suction nozzel and a extra pump for water supply to nozzle.(making my own flowing water) I found a large crack in bedrock above water level but well below flood level facing upstream.Would like to bust it open and do not own a large prybar but do have a air chisle. I am working on a budget and use to doing things Redneck.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OK, I see what you're talking about then. Is this in that section just north of gravel bar? Thats where I was working last time. I got lots of lead, but very little gold from the "crack" I was working.

OP
OP
okbasspro

okbasspro

Jan 14, 2012
Chickasha,Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Jason in Enid said:
OK, I see what you're talking about then. Is this in that section just north of gravel bar? Thats where I was working last time. I got lots of lead, but very little gold from the "crack" I was working.

Aways upstream from the road leading down to the river when we were panning I found the lead shot just above clay then got some pickers just below the clay.Found the bedrock and got all google eyed dreaming of big yellow rocks.The FEVER is still burning going back as soon as the water drops. :hello2:

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hmmm. Are you working public lands? Air hammers may go beyond the definition of recreational panning. You may need a permit. I think it's called a "plan of operation" or something. TTC

OP
OP
okbasspro

okbasspro

Jan 14, 2012
Chickasha,Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
TerryC said:
Hmmm. Are you working public lands? Air hammers may go beyond the definition of recreational panning. You may need a permit. I think it's called a "plan of operation" or something. TTC

TerryC no public land most of oklahoma private land it is on private property.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey basspro, can you post (or send) some picks of your pickers? I found some "nuggets" dredging there but I'm sure that they were pyrite. They weren't maleable and shattered under pressure. I sure was excited to see some sparklies down on the bedrock though!

OP
OP
okbasspro

okbasspro

Jan 14, 2012
Chickasha,Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Jason in Enid said:
Hey basspro, can you post (or send) some picks of your pickers? I found some "nuggets" dredging there but I'm sure that they were pyrite. They weren't maleable and shattered under pressure. I sure was excited to see some sparklies down on the bedrock though!

Jason I let my friend that was with me have them to start his collection I have several bottles and nuggets from Arizona.I love to watch the gold lift off bedrock into the nozzle makes all the hard work worth it.I look forward to meeting everyone down on the K River for some dredging.I will send some pics from my next trip I decided to use my porta power instead of air tools.
Regards
Jeff :blob7:

OP
OP
okbasspro

okbasspro

Jan 14, 2012
Chickasha,Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Think im going to take a canoe trip and look for good areas my gear will fit in a canoe the fever is killing me

NuggetN8

Mar 13, 2012
Northern California
Detector(s) used
SDC 2300
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
You could use a blackpowder pipebomb to blow the crack apart ;D although, that could be pretty dangerous if you don't know what your doing... I guess you could attach a hose to your dredge so you can blow the crack out with high pressurized water I've heard that can do the trick. But you have to get an attachment so you can fit a hose on there somewhere so it will shoot water. I've talked to somebody that had done it before.

jog

Bronze Member
Nov 28, 2008
Tillamook Oregon
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT / GMT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Noise levels under water might be an issue with the jackhammer. Might want to use some ear protection...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread