But it appears the Lost Dutchman Mine never existed....

Desertphile

Feb 17, 2013
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Looking over the geology of the Superstition Mountains, one can only wonder at why someone would believe there was or is gold there. The geology is all wrong, and the gangue is all wrong. But we also have a few witnesses at the time who pointed out that the high grade ore traded by the "Dutchman" was identical to The Vulture mine. There was and still is a large amount of gold in and around Globe, and Miami, and to the south around Superior, but not in the Superstitions. One will only find gold at the baseline around the Superstitions.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Attachments

• nbn6.jpg
    nbn6.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 248

roadrunner

Bronze Member
Jan 28, 2012
Pinal Mountains,Arizona
Detector(s) used
Garrett Groundhog-2012-1st MD.
White's Goldmaster V/Sat-2nd-MD-2013
Tesoro Lobo-2015-3rd
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
May I ask where all this gold is suppose to be around Superior?
Not being smart,just want to know where you think it is by area, or where you where told this is.
Heck,just tell me North or South of Hwy 60.

austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Looking over the geology of the Superstition Mountains, one can only wonder at why someone would believe there was or is gold there. The geology is all wrong, and the gangue is all wrong. But we also have a few witnesses at the time who pointed out that the high grade ore traded by the "Dutchman" was identical to The Vulture mine. There was and still is a large amount of gold in and around Globe, and Miami, and to the south around Superior, but not in the Superstitions. One will only find gold at the baseline around the Superstitions.

You know, never say never. Like Terry S. I really doubt it, BUT (and I've told it before) when I was young a very old man told me of his sheelite mine in those mtns., drew me a map and told me where the LDM was. Found his mine and the canyon where the LDM was supposed to be. Up and down, back and forth, no mine, no veins, maybe a slide area, who knows. I have never met anyone who found any gold there or put any stock in the marks on rocks. Maybe someday someone will find something. I have seen an md'er find nuggets out farther toward Globe, but never say never. I learned in graduate school research that there was an area of Colorado that just wasn't right for gold. Couldn't exist they all said. That was Cripple Creek. So quien sabe? Gold is where you find it.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Jan 2, 2013
somewhere between flagstaff, preskit
Detector(s) used
Whites prism III
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
May I ask where all this gold is suppose to be around Superior?
Not being smart,just want to know where you think it is by area, or where you where told this is.
Heck,just tell me North or South of Hwy 60.

Under hyw 60. find the copper mines an look in the copper.
History of Magma Copper Company – FundingUniverse

". In addition to copper, Magma produced 5.2 million pounds of molybdenum, a metal used in strengthening steel, and residues containing 106,000 troy ounces of gold and 2.7 million troy ounces of silver in 1992."

somehiker

Silver Member
May 1, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awwww, I love you to SomeHiker! Hey, you want to fly down and shave my back again? :thumbsup:

Sure thing Terry...think there's still some gas in the old WeedEater, left over from last year.
But ya gotta promise not to hump my leg this time....ok.
Folks might get the wrong idea.:confused:

Last edited:

roadrunner

Bronze Member
Jan 28, 2012
Pinal Mountains,Arizona
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo-2015-3rd
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Under hyw 60. find the copper mines an look in the copper.
History of Magma Copper Company – FundingUniverse

". In addition to copper, Magma produced 5.2 million pounds of molybdenum, a metal used in strengthening steel, and residues containing 106,000 troy ounces of gold and 2.7 million troy ounces of silver in 1992."

I know about that as a byproduct. So, I guess he is right. Also, most of all the gold came from San Manuel, and Mammoth, not superior. The copper at superior is only at 6%, and that is the richest. But none of us can have at it, the gold. I have been looking for about 6 months now and just have some black sands to show for it.

Last edited:

markmar

Silver Member
Oct 17, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
austin

You wrote " BUT (and I've told it before) when I was young a very old man told me of his sheelite mine in those mtns., drew me a map and told me where the LDM was. Found his mine and the canyon where the LDM was supposed to be. "

Can you upload this map ? Maybe I can help you in some details .

Marius

OP
OP
D

Desertphile

Feb 17, 2013
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
May I ask where all this gold is suppose to be around Superior? Not being smart,just want to know where you think it is by area, or where you where told this is. Heck, just tell me North or South of Hwy 60.

The town of Superior was named after the Superior copper and gold Mine. I will do your research for you because I am a nice guy, but the information is freely available on my web site and elsewhere. Know gold deposits around Superior:

North of Highway 60:

Site Name: Blue Bird
Latitude: 33.34728 / Longitude: -111.1424
Ore: Copper Gold, Stone
Prev Name: Louise ClaimsCopper Queen ClaimsEllen Mine ClaimsHortencia Claims

Site Name: Greyhound Group
Latitude: 33.32868 / Longitude: -111.1368
Ore: Copper Vanadium, Silver, Molybdenum, Lead, Gold
Prev Name: Bell, New Rochelle Group, Prudential Group, Happy Camp, Hornell Group, Santa Monica GroupRochelle Group, Bell Fissure Group

Site Name: Camelback Gold and Silver
Latitude: 33.34088 / Longitude: -111.1154
Ore: Copper, Gold, Lead, Silver

ite Name: Iberrian and Camaroon Claims
Latitude: 33.34928 / Longitude: -111.0951
Ore: Copper Gold, Lead, Silver Silica
Prev Name: Granite Mining ClaimsSilveronaBuena Vista ClaimsEl Tigree Claims

Site Name: Fortuna
Latitude: 33.35088 / Longitude: -111.0918
Ore: Copper, Silver Gold
Prev Name: Patented Claims M S 3889

Site Name: Astonished Fairview Group
Latitude: 33.34368 / Longitude: -111.0738
Ore: Copper, Silver Gold
Prev Name: Amerincan

Site Name: Silver Lead Group
Latitude: 33.33698 / Longitude: -111.1004
Ore: Gold, Silver Lead, Molybdenum, Zinc Tungsten
Prev Name: Silverado

Site Name: Black Eagle
Latitude: 33.33818 / Longitude: -111.0949
Ore: Copper, Lead, Silver Gold, Zinc
Prev Name: Kings Crown

Site Name: Mitrovich Group
Latitude: 33.32898 / Longitude: -111.1026
Ore: Silver Gold, Lead, Copper

Site Name: Silver King Mine
Latitude: 33.33036 / Longitude: -111.08764
Ore:Anglesite, Argentite, Bornite, Cerargyrite, Chalcocite, Chalcopyrite, Copper, Covellite, Cuprite, Galena, Gold, Malachite, Pyrite, Siderite, Silver, Sphalerite, Tetrahedrite Silver, Lead Gold, Copper Zinc
Prev Name: FortuneWhite HorseLast ChanceCaliforniaSeventy-Four
Gangue: Barite, Calcite, Limonite, Quartz
Deposit:
Work Type: Surface/Underground
Structure: "N-S Trending Fault Systems, Ns Trending Sediments With E Dip", "Quartz Diorite Intrusion. Fault Systems Are South Of Mine"
Ore Body: IRREGULAR
First Year: 1877 Last Year: 1955 Discovery: 1875
Alteration: Supergene Enrichment Near Surface, Hypogene Enrichment At Depth.
HRock Unit: Pinal Schist;Naco Limestone HRock Type: Schist
ARock Unit: Silver King Quartz Diorite Porphyry ARock Type: Diorite,Dacite
Description: Mason, Reagan, Long, Copeland

Site Name: Apache
Latitude: 33.32728 / Longitude: -111.0815
Ore: Copper, Silver Lead, Gold

Site Name: Magma Chief Group
Latitude: 33.31788 / Longitude: -111.0968
Ore: Lead, Manganese, Silver, Zinc Gold
Prev Name: Patented Claims M S 3482Patented Claim M S 3483

Site Name: Magma Chief Copper Mine
Latitude: 33.31536 / Longitude: -111.0982
Ore:Pyrolusite, Wad Silver Gold, Copper Zinc, Lead, Manganese
Prev Name: Magma Chief Mine
Gangue: Calcite, Quartz
Deposit: Replacement
Work Type: Underground
Structure: Ew Trending Faults Cutting N-S Trending Fault Systems, Ew Conley Springs Fault Is 1/4 Mile N Of Mine
Ore Body: LENSES
First Year: 1940 Last Year: 1947 Discovery:
Alteration:
HRock Unit: Escabrosa Limestone;Martin Limestone HRock Type: Limestone
ARock Unit: ARock Type: Dacite

Site Name: Ralph Holton Estate
Latitude: 33.31538 / Longitude: -111.0946
Ore: Lead, Copper Silver, Gold

Site Name: Sam Thorpe Mining Co Property
Latitude: 33.30978 / Longitude: -111.104
Ore: Gold, Silver Lead, Manganese
Prev Name: West Horn SilverPrinceRainbowNew TellurideBlack Prince

Gold at Superior:

Site Name: L.S.And A.Lake Superior and Az.
Latitude: 33.29819 / Longitude: -111.0901
Ore: Gold Copper, Lead, Manganese, Silver
Prev Name: Superior ManganeseQueen Creek-Magma MineLake Superior and ArizonaGolden EagleMonarch VeinPatented Claims M S 2994Gold EaglePatented Claims M S 2860

Gold south of Highway 60:

Site Name: Superior
Latitude: 33.30539 / Longitude: -111.0651
Ore:Chrysocolla, Coronadite, Cuprite, Famatinite, Hemimorphite, Hydrozincite, Malachite, Manganite, Psilomelane, Rhodochrosite, Silver, Chalcocite, Chalcopyrite, Enargite, Gold, Tennantite, Bornite Molybdenum, Silver, Gold, Copper Manganese, Zinc, Lead Cadmium, Arsenic, Iron, Bismuth, Silica
Prev Name: Resolution, Magma Copper Mine, Silver Queen Mine, Superior Copper Mine, Superior Mine, Magma Superior Mine, Magma Mine
Gangue: Hematite, Calcite, Limonite, Dolomite, Magnetite, Stromeyerite
Deposit: Porphyry Cu
Structure:
Ore Body: Tabular
First Year: 1907 Last Year: 1996 Discovery: 1874
Alteration:
HRock Unit: "Pinal Schist, Dripping Springs Quartzite, Apache Group-Mescal Limestone; Martin Limestone; Apache Basalt", "Troy Quartzite; Martin Limestone" HRock Type: Diabase,Quartzite,Schist,Limestone
ARock Unit: ARock Type: Diorite,Dacite,Quartz Monzonite

Site Name: Queen Creek Mine
Latitude: 33.28926 / Longitude: -111.09209
Ore:Copper, Gold, Silver Copper Gold, Silver Manganese
Prev Name:
Gangue: Hematite, Limonite, Quartz
Deposit:
Structure: E-W Trending Faults, Major N-S Trending Concentrator Fault 100 M W Of Mine
Ore Body: TABULAR/IRREGULAR
First Year: 1907 Last Year: 1942 Discovery: 1902
Alteration:
HRock Unit: Troy Quartzite;Martin Limestone HRock Type: Quartzite
ARock Unit: ARock Type:
Description: William Windsor

Site Name: Queen Creek
Latitude: 33.28929 / Longitude: -111.0885
Ore: Copper, Gold, Manganese, Silver Iron, Silica

Site Name: Michigan and Hancock Mine
Latitude: 33.28231 / Longitude: -111.09098
Ore:Copper Copper Gold, Silver
Prev Name: Hancock, Main #1
Gangue:
Deposit:
Work Type:
Structure: "N-S Faulting, Concentrator Fault W Of Mine, Another N-S Fault E Of Mine", "Wsw Faulting-Series Of Parallel Faults Through Area"
Ore Body:
First Year: 1935 Last Year: 1937 Discovery:
Alteration:
HRock Unit: HRock Type: Quartzite

ite Name: Belmont Copper Property
Latitude: 33.27259 / Longitude: -111.0751
Ore: Silver, Copper, Gold Molybdenum, Vanadium, Lead, Manganese
Prev Name: Unpatented Claims M S 3093Lone Star M S 3096,PatentedPatented & Unpat.Claims M S 2838Unpatented Claim M S 3094Unpatented Claim M S 3095LonestarConsolidated Holding and Trust Co

ite Name: Grand Pacific Mine
Latitude: 33.26981 / Longitude: -111.07098
Ore:Cuprite Copper Silver, Gold, Manganese
Prev Name: Pacific MinePacific Group
Gangue: Calcite, Pyrite, Quartz
Deposit:
Structure: "Nw Trending Fault Systems, Ne Trending Fault Systems", "Nw Trending Iron Cap Fault, Ne Trending Sandal Fault"
Ore Body: LENTICULAR
First Year: 1916 Last Year: 1955 Discovery: 1900
Alteration: Near Surface Oxidation
HRock Unit: Escabosa Limestone;Martin Limestone HRock Type: Limestone
ARock Unit: ARock Type: Diabase
Description: John Sandal

Site Name: Belmont Mine
Latitude: 33.27259 / Longitude: -111.07598
Ore:Argentite, Cerargyrite, Chalcopyrite, Galena, Gold, Silver, Sphalerite, Vanadinite, Wulfenite Copper Silver, Lead, Zinc, Gold Manganese, Vanadium
Prev Name: DoggsGoodwinSmith LeaseMonte Carlo Claim
Gangue: Calcite, Pyrite, Quartz
Deposit:
Structure: "Nw Trending Fault Systems, Ne Trending Fault Systems, Overlain By Pennsylvanian Naco Limestone, Escabrosa Limestone, And Martin Limestone ; Reg.Trends: Lenticular", "Nw Trending Iron Cap Fault, Ne Trending Eureka And Sandal Faults"
Ore Body:
First Year: 1926 Last Year: 1945 Discovery: 1899
Alteration: Near Surface Oxidation
HRock Unit: Escabosa Limestone;Martin Limestone HRock Type: Diabase
ARock Unit: ARock Type: Diabase
Description: A.J. Daggs

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

Desertphile

Feb 17, 2013
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
You know, never say never. Like Terry S. I really doubt it, BUT (and I've told it before) when I was young a very old man told me of his sheelite mine in those mtns., drew me a map and told me where the LDM was. Found his mine and the canyon where the LDM was supposed to be. Up and down, back and forth, no mine, no veins, maybe a slide area, who knows. I have never met anyone who found any gold there or put any stock in the marks on rocks. Maybe someday someone will find something. I have seen an md'er find nuggets out farther toward Globe, but never say never. I learned in graduate school research that there was an area of Colorado that just wasn't right for gold. Couldn't exist they all said. That was Cripple Creek. So quien sabe? Gold is where you find it.

No. The geology of The Superstitions is wrong; the Lost Dutchman Mine never existed in the Superstitions.

somehiker

Silver Member
May 1, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No. The geology of The Superstitions is wrong; the Lost Dutchman Mine never existed in the Superstitions.

Technically correct, since the LDM got lost before Superstition Mountain became the Superstitions.
So when Waltz declared that "No miner would ever find his mine", he was probably thinking the same thing about the geology.
Since then, no one has been able to prove him wrong, and that is probably the reason a California-style gold rush did not happen.

Regards:SH.

somehiker

Silver Member
May 1, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Might have been a reverse-psychology red herring too.

And it's not likely that anyone who happens to "find", or has found a load of gold ore out there more recently, will say it came from within the Superstition Wilderness.

OP
OP
D

Desertphile

Feb 17, 2013
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Technically correct, since the LDM got lost before Superstition Mountain became the Superstitions.
So when Waltz declared that "No miner would ever find his mine", he was probably thinking the same thing about the geology.
Since then, no one has been able to prove him wrong, and that is probably the reason a California-style gold rush did not happen.

No. "Waltz" high graded ore from the Vulture; there is no load or placer deposits on the Superstitions.

roadrunner

Bronze Member
Jan 28, 2012
Pinal Mountains,Arizona
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo-2015-3rd
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
@ Desertphile.
Quote:The town of Superior was named after the Superior copper and gold Mine. I will do your research for you because I am a nice guy, but the information is freely available on my web site and elsewhere. Know gold deposits around Superior:UNQUOTE.
Yes, I know of all those, I am in Superior all the time working on and off.They all had a very small By product of gold,that's it.
Techniclly,yes,there is a little gold around the superior area.

If there was any, any even small pieces of gold that some one could make money from, it does not exist, or has not been found yet.
But I will go through your list, and check with the blm, or whom ever and see if any of these old mines can be had again.

And I could just go take a quick look and see what I can find with my MD, and pan.
Thanks for you posting this.

Dirty Dutchman

Dec 27, 2010
Arizona
Detector(s) used
My Brain
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd like to see the proof that Waltz was ever at the Vulture mine. I'm sure there are some others that would be interested in seeing that evidence also.

Thanks
Travis

hoseman1

Tenderfoot
Mar 21, 2009
Central Arizona
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gold in the Superior Area? I have been around Central Az for 70 Years. I have been succesful mining placer gold in several areas South of Hwy. 60 near Superior. In very wet years I have dredged placer gold, up to dwt. sized nuggets. Panned several ounces of small gold, 10 mesh and smaller over the years by working crevices and even found small nuggets with metal detectors. Gold can be found in a lot of areas south of Hwy. 60. No, it's not everywhere, however, it can be found in localized areas. While I have found a small amount of placer North of Hwy.60, I never found enough to get excited about until you get 10-12 miles north-east of Superior.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions