Button Backmark Story

rayscott

Mar 18, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've found lots of great seal buttons in an old fort burn pit and I've identified examples from 23 of the 65 manufacturers on the list posted in the button backmark thread. Just last week I found a backmark that is not on the list and as it turns out, a good story to go with it. The backmark is J.H.F. HAHN * BALTIMORE.

On a whim, I contacted a friend who's maiden name is Hahn. I asked if her family had any connections to the button or apparel business in Baltimore back in the early 1900s.

She wrote back " The Irvin H. Hahn company was started by my great paternal grandfather, Joseph Henry Ferdinand Hahn. My dad was President of the company for many years but sold it when foreign companies started to bid on the jobs offering to produce the products cheaper. My dad refused to reduce the quality to compete with the much cheaper prices. I think the company still makes military jewelry for the Naval Academy and other military schools, as well as police and firemen's badges and insignia. The button you found was most likely produced by the Hahn Company many years ago."

It's a small world.

JHF HAHN.jpg If you're interested, google The Irvin Hahn Co. They're still located in Baltimore and make insignia for police/firemen.

Upvote 1

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread