Narthoniel

Bronze Member
Jul 1, 2008
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Excal 2 and E Trac
Button, Button, Who's got the button?

Hello all,

I was out digging with my friend Steve a few days ago. We were exploring a site together hoping to find some signs of old targets. After about 3 hours of nothing but trash and light rain, Steve had to head home. I gave it about an hour more just hoping I was right about the site we were on.

As the rain started to pick up, I began to think more and more about following him. Then I hit a signal that changed everything.

It was a strong signal in the injun range(12-32 to 12-34 on the Etrac). Expecting another piece of trash, I cut a plug and flipped out about 4-6 inches of dirt. Nothing in the plug, so I stuck my probe in the hole and it began singing. Reached in and felt something solid in the loose dirt and what a shock I received when I saw what it was. There in my hand were not one, but SEVEN one piece convex buttons. And they were all on a very small piece of string.

I was amazed at my fortune, and out of habit stuck the probe back in the hole. It sang! I reached in, grabbed some dirt, tossed it to the side, and checked the hole. Still singing. The next handful I checked before tossing it and the probe sang, so I sifted through the dirt to find TWO more buttons. Puzzled, I checked the pile I had just tossed down, and sure enough, I had tossed TWO more aside. So there I was with 7 buttons on a string and 4 loose buttons.

Again, out of habit, I stuck the probe in the hole and it was STILL singing. I reached in and all the loose dirt was gone, so I started feeling into the sides of the hole. In one corner down at the bottom I felt something solid. I grabbed it firmly, gave a tug, and a TON of buttons on a string came out!! I wish I had had a camera to capture the discovery, but alas, I have no field photos.

There was nothing left in the hole, so I filled it, carefully packaged my buttons, and headed home. On the way I began daydreaming about having a coat made with authentic buttons. I have been waiting until I found enough similar buttons to make a coat, and there in one hole I found enough for at least one. I was a VERY happy camper.

Upon arriving at home, I carefully pulled out the buttons, snapped a few photos of the dirty bunch and then started investigating them. It was then I noticed gilt. So I grab one of the loose buttons and start cleaning the back with naval jelly(a big thanks to Buckleboy for his guide and personal advice on cleaning these buttons.) I was under the impression these were standard civilian one piece buttons like I had found in the past, so the back seemed the most logical to start with.

After a little patience with the jelly, a nice backmark appeared. I did a little research and this is what I learned.

The backmark reads: ARMITAGE PHILA with the words TREBLE GILT in smaller print on the outside rim of the button. George Armitage was born in Sheffield England and moved to the United States in 1795. In 1799 he began making buttons in Philadelphia and continued to do so until 1826 when he sold the business.

Reading that set me on an even higher cloud than I had been on before. Knowing these buttons had some age to them was just more icing on the cake. After making that discovery, I began cleaning the outside of the button I had begun working on. All was fine until the jelly started working. As the jelly started removing dirt and the Qtip moved it around slowly, tiny details began to emerge. Little by little I started seeing something, and then suddenly, my dreams of a period coat were bashed.

There on the button stood and Eagle.

Shock and awe immediately set in, and as I continued cleaning they took greater hold on me. Not only had I found 33 one piece buttons, but they were old as the dickens, had an amazing amount of gilt on them, and they were MILITARY.

Once again I rushed to the web to research. Calls to friends and Buckleboy were also made around the same time. After a couple hours of looking we finally found out what I had found, and the reality of what I had became even better.

33 Stunningly beautiful US Infantry Officer buttons from the War of 1812

I am shocked, stunned, and amazed to have made this discovery, and it is beyond my wildest dream to dig just one, let alone 33 buttons of this age in this condition. The only theory I can come up with for this find is that these buttons were originally held in some sort of bag, pouch or box and were lost in transit. It appears that they were strung tightly together by the man who made them and sent out to whoever or wherever to be sewn into a coat there. Whatever held them has long since deteriorated, as I saw no evidence of it in the hole. There is no other way I can make sense of the buttons being so nice and the string being still intact.

If you have any theories about their origin, I am very interested to hear them. We may never know the full story, but I am elated with this find. Thank you for reading(I hope I was not too long winded) and happy hunting!
Anthony

The photos are as follows:
#1: all 33 eagle buttons(the chipped tombac was in the hole but does not match so I did not make note of it before)
#2: 22 dirty buttons on a string(these are as yet uncleaned, but you can still see some details)
#3: The front of one of the buttons
#4: Closeup of the backmark on one
#5: 9 of the buttons(5 came off the small string in cleaning, but 2 are still left on at the moment)
#6: The backside of 6 of the buttons. There is still a little dirt in a few of them

Attachments

• dirty buttons.JPG
    dirty buttons.JPG
    93.8 KB · Views: 4,779
  • button strand.JPG
    button strand.JPG
    155.4 KB · Views: 4,764
  • REGt button.JPG
    REGt button.JPG
    41.4 KB · Views: 4,769
  • backmark.JPG
    backmark.JPG
    66.8 KB · Views: 4,751
  • 9 shiny buttons.JPG
    9 shiny buttons.JPG
    95.1 KB · Views: 4,734
  • 6 backmarks.JPG
    6 backmarks.JPG
    116.2 KB · Views: 4,723
Upvote 0

47thelement

Bronze Member
Jan 8, 2009
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excal, ACE 250 for my son
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Button, Button, Who's got the button?

I'm not a button guy, but man this sure look like I great find!

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Excalibur 1000/II (hybrid) , Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other

After reading your post last night, I began to wonder why so many buttons were strung like that. I started to think of different scenarios, but without knowing the type of site (battlefield, homestead, campground, etc) it was a bit difficult.

I remembered reading something in Tice's book about button salesman that went on the road trying to procure orders. I am wondering how these buttons were transported. I can imagine a leather portfolio type of case, in which buttons may have been strung together, and somehow lost by a salesman.

Another less likely possibilitiy is these were part of what was known as a charmstring. This fad seems to have been popular in the earlier part of the 19th century. My guess is these would usually be glass or bone buttons, but if it had family significance, you never know.

The following was written by an elderly Georgia woman sometime prior to 1915:

REMINISCENCES AND INDIAN LEGENDS

THE COUNTIES OF GEORGIA.
BY KATHARINE B. MASSEY.

When I was a little girl, our fad was the possession of
a charmstring. This was a string of buttons, obtained by
coaxing from our elders or barter with each other, and con-
stantly added to until some of them reached the length of
several yards. With delightful pride we told over the list
of our treasures. "This button," one would say, "came
from Cousin Mary's wedding dress; this my Uncle John
gave me ; this was sent to me from China by my aunt who
is a missionary in Canton ; and this bright brass one was on
my father 's uniform during the war. ' ' Much of family life
and many loving associations were thus strung together for
the little maiden. In some such way, but in a larger sense,
our state has used the naming of its counties as a cord of
gold on which to hang traditions of its past, memories of
its heroes, and reverences for those who helped us when help
was needed.

zaxfire69

Bronze Member
Jun 26, 2008
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 / Fisher F44
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Oh My goodness. You talk about some freakin sweet buttons. :headbang: :hello2: :notworthy: Those are some mean looking buttons. I mean really. Very cool. man...Congrats to you for unearthing those. Bask in the moment. :thumbsup:

P.S. Could not have happend to a better guy. You deserve that one. See I told you, you would be repaid!

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

What a pretty site Anthony......Congratulation's :thumbsup:

johnnyi

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2009
new jersey
Detector(s) used
minelab, white's xlt, deus xp, fisher aquanaut, white's twin box
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

"After reading your post last night, I began to wonder why so many buttons were strung like that. I started to think of different scenarios, but without knowing the type of site (battlefield, homestead, campground, etc) it was a bit difficult."

Neil, until we can get a real handle on how many buttons were required to be worn on both dress and undress uniforms of an infantry officer of this period; and whether they were of the same type and size on both uniforms; etc. , it is impossible to make any real guesses. I suggested privately that the West Point Museum be contacted, as they have everything at hand to answer the question of how many alike buttons in total would be worn on both the dress and undress uniform of an infantry officer of this period.

As far as carrying buttons or storing buttons on string is concerned, I don't think this is unusual as it is the practical way to carry them. In my family for instance, we've got our Great-grandfather's Civil war buttons passed down this way on string (for complete uniforms, so at least a number equalling this find), and these buttons pictured here from my mother's side have been passed down for generations on a bit of chord also. Again, it seems this is just the practical way to carry them.

Attachments

• sibbald buttons.JPG
    sibbald buttons.JPG
    37.3 KB · Views: 3,420

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

WOW!!!HUGE CONGRATS!!! :hello2: :hello2: :hello2:

Johnny Ringo Silver

Dec 6, 2007
KANSAS
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE and Sunray probe

Anthony, What a hunch huh? You just never know when a find like this is going to show up under your coil! Absolutely fantastic find. Keep with that site and let us know what comes of it. 8)

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Good.......Gosh!!!!! I'm almost speechless! What an amazing discovery!!! ANTHONY!! I just don't know if I could imagine how you felt when you discovered what you had found! :icon_pirat:

Just amazing! I'm so happy for you!!!

Nana :)

cntrydncr1

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
Bradenton, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Minelab Excal II, ETrac, Infiniuim

wow Anthony!!! fantastic!!! congrats on making the banner!

curbdiggercarl57

Silver Member
Nov 19, 2007
Largo, Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle, DFX, Shadow X-2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Seriously, that is a find of a lifetime. What a story it could tell. Kudos!

Baggins

Bronze Member
Jan 2, 2007
TEXAS
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV / Garrett Ace 250/Minelab X-Terra 70

Well, now I have to go and change my pants!
WTG!!!
Baggins

wilkere

Sep 11, 2007
Jacksonville N.C.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur, Tesoro Silver Sabre

Stunning story! Museaum Quality find for sure!

The Seeker

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2005
Keep on Digging!
Detector(s) used
MINELAB Explorer-II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

That is an amazing find! What I think is even more amazing, is the string they were attached to was still intact after 200 years in the ground! .......THAT IS AMAZING! WTG

Keep on Digging!

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
I use, Whites MXT and Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Beautiful !!

I think the war of 1812 had just ended and they guy on the bike taking them to his captain said... Well don't need these any more and chucked them in the weeds. Ha !! :D

Awesome find !! :headbang:

Keep @ It and HH!!
;D

OP
OP
Narthoniel

Narthoniel

Bronze Member
Jul 1, 2008
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Excal 2 and E Trac

Thank you all for the kind words and replies. I knew this was an excellent find, but I had no idea you all would think so highly of it. I will be sure to keep you all up to date with them. I have a lot of buttons left to clean! Could take a few months to get them all polished up and shiney but I plan to do so.

Thank you again and happy huntin!
Anthony

texan connection

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2006
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minlabe SE, ace 250, fisher 1280x

Been out of town. what a amazing discovery Im Very happy for you

foreverRich

Mar 31, 2009
Portsmouth, VA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Gamma 6000
,GTA1000, Discovery3300
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Anthony,

Max just sent me a copy of your post. WOW!!!! Talk about a great find. Just don't let too many people know where you were hunting (you know what I mean). I am so happy for you. It couldn't have happened to a better guy. Sure hope that horseshoe came in handy. Congratulations and thanks again for sharing the experience. It is going to be hard for you to top that one, but I am sure you can. You deserve all of the luck that comes your way!!

Hollis

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread