Button help

Stormchaser JD

Dec 19, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1425866495.754888.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1425866532.418004.jpg

Upvote 5

sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Pre Civil War Virginia Button ?????????vanzutphen Not sure about back mark.Dont have my glasses .I am not sure even if it is a va.button

Last edited:

fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It says Treble Gilt in the outer ring and Colour (I think) in the inner ring. I don't find anything like it in the Virginia section of Albert's.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It says Treble Gilt in the outer ring and Colour (I think) in the inner ring. I don't find anything like it in the Virginia section of Albert's.

Agreed, 'Treble Gilt Colour' Backmark would date it circa 1830s. The image looks to be a Native American, but a little unsure.

danimal03

Feb 13, 2012
Tennessee
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hard to see the blurry pic on my phone; but looks like early Mass. state militia. nice find.

hbeaton

Jun 4, 2005
Virginia Beach, VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
1812-1830s Massachusetts State Militia General Use Coat Button. At first I thought Virginia too as their appeared to be a figure standing over another figure but in hindsight this figure is a Native American standing on a grassy mound with a bow in the the left hand and an arrow pointing downward in the right hand.

If we can make out some more details, it will help narrow the date range down as the button could date to before Maine seceded from Massachusetts in 1820 (star pattern on these buttons indicates the difference). The backside says Treble Gilt and Colour but their may also be the word Orange or possibly Stand'd). This helps narrow the button to at least pre civil war and as Crusader already suggested...the 1830s. I think this has a shot at being a little earlier. Granted I don't have access to Tice or Albert's books but this website does have the Tice and Albert code references listed (scroll down to Massachusetts buttons)...hope this helps!

George Washington Inaugural Buttons ? 1776 ? 1865Various State Militia ButtonsInfantry * Artillery

HH!
-Hunter

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread