Button hoard...mysteries! Alabama cadet corps

ChelleDotCom

Tenderfoot
May 3, 2014
Tuscaloosa, AL
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Fisher F2; Formerly: Bounty Hunter Tracker IV and Technetics Alpha 2000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi all! My hubby and I have been working a permission site for a little over a month, and we go back often. The second time we went out, we found our first Alabama Cadet Corps button and we were excited....but now, we have been back maybe 10 times and the buttons just keep coming! My hubby found two buttons today for a current total of 19 of these rare buttons!

We wonder what could have happened there, as we are about 20 miles north of the University of Alabama at this site and we can't find a family member that lived at the house that was a cadet. We will keep researching and trying to figure it all out. In the meantime, we keep going back to see how many might be out there! ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1434523041.967382.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1434523060.966765.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1434523125.633592.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1434523156.516735.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1434523202.050238.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1434523221.296922.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1434523278.979785.jpg

Also found out there: 1907 V Nickel, 1905 Indian head, several wheats, 1918 s Mercury dime, couple of Alabama Tax Tokens, several toe taps, 1939 vaccination tag, reins guide, large eagle button (maybe WWI...has an old scovill back mark)....hoping for some deep silver and more ACC buttons! This place will be on our list for a long time!

Upvote 39

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
What an interesting site that you have going, congrats on the number of rare buttons already and all the best on the continued success.

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd try to Donate some of the bent or less good looking buttons to a museum or history place that can afford to have some of them Restored . but If a Museum has little money or a Good cause I'd donate a better specimen.
Esp, if y'all find some more in Good Shape.
A bunch of Dream finds indeed.
Davers

Oh yeah ..Any info on the Back Marks?

OP
OP
C

ChelleDotCom

Tenderfoot
May 3, 2014
Tuscaloosa, AL
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Fisher F2; Formerly: Bounty Hunter Tracker IV and Technetics Alpha 2000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
From what I can tell based on what I've read, the back marks are 1850s era. ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1434644666.412474.jpg

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
From what I can tell based on what I've read, the back marks are 1850s era. View attachment 1176864

Your' "ACC" buttons may be later or earlier than the one shown on the Relicman's website. The one on the website has the Backmark: "SCOVILL. MG. CO. / SUPERFINE." while the one you show, has a Backmark: "SCOVILL. MFG. CO. / Waterbury" (Corrected). Therefore, they could be more or less rare than it, so you really need to pinpoint when they were made and their' rarity. Some folks at the University or a museum should be able to help you pinpoint when they were made and used by the "ACC".

If they are are rare or have a fairly high rarity and you decide to sell some, then make sure to only sell one or two at a time. This will keep them from dropping suddenly in rarity and thus, drop in value suddenly.

Frank

Last edited:

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your' "ACC" buttons may be later or earlier than the one shown on the Relicman's website. The one on the website has the Backmark: "SCOVILL. MG. CO. / SUPERFINE." while the one you show, has a Backmark: "SCOVILL. MG. CO. / Waterbury" Therefore, they could be more or less rare than it, so you really need to pinpoint when they were made and their' rarity. Some folks at the University or a museum should be able to help you pinpoint when they were made and used by the "ACC".

If they are are rare or have a fairly high rarity and you decide to sell some, then make sure to only sell one or two at a time. This will keep them from dropping suddenly in rarity and thus, drop in value suddenly.

Frank

Its really states;

'SCOVILL MFG CO Waterbury'

Zee

Oct 12, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett AT Gold, Garrett Infinium, Garrett Pro Pointer(x2), 30" Bazooka Prospector, Scuba Gear
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is an amazing site you have there! I can only hope to find a honey hole like that some day!

EasternShoreMetal

Nov 21, 2014
Eastern Shore of Maryland
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro w/DD coil.
also, still have a Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Welcome to Tnet! and thanks for sharing your finds.. keep researching, there must be an interesting story to go with all those buttons.. nice finds!

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Fiskar's Big Grip Digger & my old Army Trench shovel for the tough jobs
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's one great pile of buttons.
Great finds and a great hunt. Congrats.

jojobama

Aug 22, 2014
south alabama
Detector(s) used
fisher
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
roll tide need any help contact south al. historical research &recovery association. sahara. com. super fine buttons! roll tide!

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your' "ACC" buttons may be later or earlier than the one shown on the Relicman's website. The one on the website has the Backmark: "SCOVILL. MG. CO. / SUPERFINE." while the one you show, has a Backmark: "SCOVILL. MFG. CO. / Waterbury" (Corrected). Therefore, they could be more or less rare than it, so you really need to pinpoint when they were made and their' rarity. Some folks at the University or a museum should be able to help you pinpoint when they were made and used by the "ACC".

Frank

I was just looking at my Button book by Alphaeus H. Albert.
& It shows under, SU 17 with the back mark "Scovill Mg. CO./ Superfine.
The same as the one on Relic Man's Page.

Then it shows SU 17 1
(Same Face) ACC ..but back mark="Scovill Mfg Co/Waterbury"
It has this button listed as being from 'ACC' Alma College Cadet 1886..

Sooo..IMO the OP's buttons are the latter . Looking at the Back marks Side by side they are def, of diff, Styles.
Still AWESOME! Finds BTY The Book Published in 1976 has a Relative Value for the SU-17 as $13 & a Relative value for the 1886 button as $1. So today they are still worth A-lot more than most buttons we find. & In great Condition also.

Sorry if this info is hurtful as it would be to me."to good to be true thing".
Peace
Davers

MD'erStEvO

Feb 16, 2015
Vicenza (Military)
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 11" Coil, Bounty Hunter Platinum Edition, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Those are some amazing buttons: Alabama Cadet Corps and Army Class A button!!! SCORE!!!! Keep em' coming and good luck in the future.... Sounds like you've found a honey hole.... :P

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Then it shows SU 17 1

Sooo..IMO the OP's buttons are the latter . Looking at the Back marks Side by side they are def, of diff, Styles.
Still AWESOME! Finds BTY The Book Published in 1976 has a Relative Value for the SU-17 as $13 & a Relative value for the 1886 button as $1. So today they are still worth A-lot more than most buttons we find. & In great Condition also.

Peace
Davers

I have no button books, but that was my fear. Backmarks are everything. Still a great find, but if that info is correct, not as rare as one would hope.

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have no button books, but that was my fear. Backmarks are everything. Still a great find, but if that info is correct, not as rare as one would hope.

Yea, I got the book for those Rare (once every 2-3 years )occasions that I find a US Military Button that needs ID'ing.
Worth it tho, Esp if I lived in the New England Area.
Davers

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other

Then it shows SU 17 1

Peace
Davers

That was my fear as well! However, if the button that Davers noted in the book at $13 was in similar condition as the one on the Relicman's website, then it has increased in value by about 69.23 times it's value in 1976. Hopefully, the O.P.s buttons did the same and are now worth at least $69 each or more!

Frank

Last edited:

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
I went back to Relicman's website on a hunch and found that he has 4 pages of buttons listed. On page 4, item B7206, he has an "Alabama Cadet Corps" button that is nearly identical to the O.P.s buttons. It has a Backmark of "SCOVILL MF'G CO / (star) WATERBURY (star) and although I cannot see it in his' pic, he states that the Backmark writing is between rings of dots. He also states that this button is circa 1860 to 1865 in manufacture and is a (Scovill.820). It is priced at $200. I can't tell if the O.P.s button has the stars as noted but it gives some hope!

Relicman Sales Catalog, Buttons, Page4.

Frank

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions