🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
DEUS ALL THE WAY
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Button I'd help

Hello everyone. Short recon hunt today
Not what I thought it was going to be.
I did find These buttons. They both say hungerford ny on them.
Brass and old I think. Thanks for looking. image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Upvote 0

hbeaton

Jun 4, 2005
Virginia Beach, VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Might be able to help you here. Interesting story if it all lines up. Did not find anything the jumped out at me in terms of button manufacturers and Hungerford or NY. But I did find the following book about a kid who played hockey and a very nice man, Mr. Hungerford who, during his retirement, had a deep passion for civic activities and sports, particularly hockey at Saint Albans (which I know is a prep school in DC but I also think there is a Saint Albans in Queens too). He helped kids from lower income families that wanted to skate have the opportunity to do so, somehow, these buttons which were octagonal would help lace up hockey skates (I understood it to also mean whoever had these buttons may have presented them in order to skate for free).

The link to that specific book and page is here:

https://books.google.com/books?id=i...HxwIVgTo-Ch0QBQ2-#v=onepage&q=octagon&f=false

Furthermore, I see Mr. Hungerford died in 2013 in Vermont, he was a WW2 veteran. Quite a man, helped a lot of people, especially kids. I do not know how old your button is but I would presume its probably at least 1960s/1970s or later. His obit: MERRILL HUNGERFORD Obituary - St. Albans, VT | The Burlington Free Press

Again, this Hungerford, NY button may have nothing to do with what I just said above but I think, in either event, it's a nice story. Hope it turns out that way with more research.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I thought these were roofing tacks for slate/tiles? Found lots around older houses and was always under the impression that it's roofing nail application related.

hbeaton

Jun 4, 2005
Virginia Beach, VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Well, everyone is wrong at least once ;) I still like the story though.

They are storm anchors for an asbestos tile roof. When it gets windy, these are to help the edges of the slate shingles from lifting off. A couple other detecting forums have similar finds (hungerford marked with a star in the middle). I only brought up the other story about hockey as kind of a cool anecdote that drew interesting parallels (marked Hungerford has a New York connection and a octagon shape). Cool find.

Last edited:

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I thought these were roofing tacks for slate/tiles? Found lots around older houses and was always under the impression that it's roofing nail application related.

agreed

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread