xcolo1

Sep 8, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT 1 million
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Button ID? I think it's a good one! 100+

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg Any ideas?updated photo all cleaning tips are from HomeGuardDan on this forum. He knows what he's talking about!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    390.2 KB · Views: 101
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    557.6 KB · Views: 124
Last edited:
Upvote 0

blugotti1

Bronze Member
Jan 19, 2009
GA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
can't see much detail on the front..

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Definitely pre-1900. Probably 1820 to 1850 or so. Is that a face on the front? Looks like a man facing right with a long pointed nose. Or am I just seeing things?

OP
OP
X

xcolo1

Sep 8, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT 1 million
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Definitely pre-1900. Probably 1820 to 1850 or so. Is that a face on the front? Looks like a man facing right with a long pointed nose. Or am I just seeing things?
I wish I could see it. Maybe it's a Washingtonian?

HomeGuardDan

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2011
Williamsburg, VA
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is an 1820's civilian button stamped on the reverse of an 1820's Navy button (eagle on lined field with anchor on shield) I have heard some say that it was part of the backmark intentionally and others that it is a reversed (recycled) button. They are not US military issued, very cool button and shows why you should always check backmarks. I have dug thousands of flat buttons over the years and only have recovered 4 or 5 of these.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is an 1820's civilian button stamped on the reverse of an 1820's Navy button (eagle on lined field with anchor on shield) I have heard some say that it was part of the backmark intentionally and others that it is a reversed (recycled) button. They are not US military issued, very cool button and shows why you should always check backmarks. I have dug thousands of flat buttons over the years and only have recovered 4 or 5 of these.

I've dug two and I think anyone who believes it's a converted Navy button has some wishful thinking going on. Of course if someone can prove this I'd be happy to have found my first Early American military button is thousands of buttons over 13 years... although I do have a lead anchor button that seems to make more sense as Continental Navy than French, so maybe two.

OP
OP
X

xcolo1

Sep 8, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT 1 million
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've dug two and I think anyone who believes it's a converted Navy button has some wishful thinking going on. Of course if someone can prove this I'd be happy to have found my first Early American military button is thousands of buttons over 13 years... although I do have a lead anchor button that seems to make more sense as Continental Navy than French, so maybe two.
Check my other thread with the 1840 naval button. Do you think that is a naval button or not? It's in 1 of the 100+ button threads. Early thanks for your opinion. image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread