button ID

emesis

Mar 12, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gentlemen and Ladies,
Need help in researching a button I found today. Sorry no pics(I stupid). The button is made buy the American Button co. It is about the size of a quarter and I believe it's silver. The front says City of New York D.P.C. . There is also a coat of arms. It has a metal shank on the back,so it has some age. The button is in excellent shape. What I need to know is what web sites to go on to find info on value, rarity, and collectability. I live about 100 miles from the city and I found it at a local lake which was a NYC play ground at the turn of the century till about the 20's, so that probably explains why it's here.
Oh and by the way Info on tokens would be greatly appreciated, because I found a fairly rare aluminum token about a month ago. It is for a wonder boy clock which was manufactured in the early 1900's. A wonder boy clock recently sold for better than 80 grand at auction. Unfortunately the token is only in fair condition.
Thanxs for looking and happy hunting.

PFP

Upvote 0
OP
OP
E

emesis

Mar 12, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Approximately 4" down in a corn field across the road
from where I found the button. Do you know anything about those clocks?

PFP

PBK

Gold Member
May 25, 2005
pfired from pfizer said:
The button is made buy the American Button co.

The American Button Co. of Newark, New Jersey existed from 1903 until 1920, when it was purchased by the Waterbury Button Co. (Most, if not all, buttons bearing this backmark date no later than 1917, when the factory burned.)

I believe that the letters "D. P. C." may represent the Department of Public Charities (orphanages, child welfare agencies, etc.. which had uniformed employees) or Department of Public Corrections. Originally, these two New York City departments were combined.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread