Button in a cave

TnT2000

Jan 15, 2006
Easton PA
OK...
I was walking a bike path on my way to a spot I had seen on Friday, as I was walking I noticed some large rocks on a steep embankment up pretty high. Under the rocks appeared to be a small opening, so me and my curiosity I scaled the hill. When I got to the rocks there was a small opening under them that one or two people could fit into. So yes I stuck the XLT coil in and began my search after about 5 min. I pulled the button and the small piece of lead maybe a bullet?...after 1/2 hour nothing else..strange hu?..Now I just wander what the story is.
I have not been able to ID the age of the button so if anyone can help I would appreciate it.. Thanks for looking.

TnT

Attachments

• md 10 008.jpg
    md 10 008.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 316
  • md 10 006.jpg
    md 10 006.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 319
Upvote 0

Burdie

Gold Member
Nov 13, 2005
South Central Kansas
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I thought the New England patriots were playing over Jimmy. ;D I think the story of the cave would be nice to know. Burdie

mvSWAT

Sep 21, 2004
Mt. Vernon, Indiana
Awesome find. Did you actually go inside the cave? See anything on the walls? I wish we had caves in my area. Seems like this would be the perfect time of the year to check them out since the reptiles would be hibernating.
Happy Hunting. Dan

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Sound's pretty wild,how big is the cave?Nice find regardless if Hoffa was around or not.HH!!

OP
OP
TnT2000

TnT2000

Jan 15, 2006
Easton PA
yes I went into the cave as far as I could I may go back and check it out again when I have more time....I did not notice anything on the walls of the cave.. TnT

tsgman

Bronze Member
Sep 13, 2005
Springfield, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab 705, Fisher Gold Bug, MXT, Etrac, CTX 3030, GPX 5000, Troy Shadow, CZ20, Excal II, Tesoro Stingray, AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A picture of the back of the button would be helpful. Neat find. Tsgman

nhbenz

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2004
Brentwood, NH
Detector(s) used
White's Classic SL
White's Surf P.I.
I would tend toward this being a non-military button (yachtmans' button?), as the Navy usually used a "fouled anchor" design, which we took from the British... the chain or rope is slightly twisted around the anchor. Whatever type of button it is, I could see where it would be scraped off of a coat if one were to crawl into a cave. And as for the lead (bullet?), well if I were about to crawl into a cave I can easily see firing a "warning shot" to make sure a badger (or some such critter) wasn't about to have its way with my face. Just a thought... I wish I had caves in my area to explore! -Ben

Charlene

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2006
SE, Virginia
Detector(s) used
MineLab Excal II & Bounty Hunter Land Star
Great find, is it brass? looks like a little tarnish on it. Pic of the back might help ID its age. Keep braving those caves, just leave Hoffa where you find him. With my luck Yogi would be asleep in there lol.

Leon

Silver Member
Jul 2, 2004
Indy
Detector(s) used
Cz3d
Closes thing I have been able to find on the button is the first small button shown at the top of this page:
http://www.vintagebuttons.net/uniform6.html
It doesn't really give much detail about it, other than it being a uniform button, but you might try contacting someone from that site. Also,,, the raised rim around the anchor on your button seems to be more of an oval shape, where as the button on that page, the rim looks to be round...
Neat find, & An interesting way to find it, WTG!!!
Good luck on a positive ID, & Happy hunting~

OP
OP
TnT2000

TnT2000

Jan 15, 2006
Easton PA
I agree the oval shape is throwing me for a loop..and also the rope never passes in front of the anchor like the buttons I have seen...Hmmmmm interesting...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread