Button spot gives up silver and copper yahoooooooooo

TnT2000

Jan 15, 2006
Easton PA
Hey all, I am sure you have seen the posts lately by myself and MarkG, we now call it the button spot and for good reason..Today I got 9 new buttons making it a total of 21 in 3 short hunts MarkG got 9 his first time there. A couple of the new buttons are the size of a Large Cent, Speaking of Large Cent....It gave me another beauty today an 1802 in better shape than the 1801 from last week...and I was digging buttons throwing them into my pouch when I got home and began cleaning them I could not believe my eyes one was a 1853 silver 3 cent...My second for the year...Yes I was doing the happy dance... It has some black stains on it, does anyone know how to get it off I would value the advice.. Thanks for reading and looking...H.H. TnT..

md12 006.jpg

The haul... Look at the size of some of the buttons, got some buckles etc.

md12 010.jpg

3 cent

md12 014.jpg

3 cent

md12 016.jpg

Isn't she a beauty

md12 018.jpg

perfect.....

Upvote 0

Night Stalker

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2004
Florida
Detector(s) used
Omega 8000 & Tesoro Cortes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those are some awesome finds! Buttons and Coins - it don't get much better.

Mirage

Silver Member
Sep 16, 2005
Cleveland, OH
Dude, you are killin me! Second Draped Bust Large Cent in a couple weeks - and in awesome shape! Ah, might as well throw in a 3 cent piece. ;D ;D

Cleaning silver.... If mine is really got the "ugly" tarnish look I use a light silver polish like Wright's silver Cream(Walmart). You can do it in coats so you can control how much tarnish you remove. That way you can still retain some of the original look. I have also used the Mother's Mag polish but this polish will give it a very shiney finish so you can tell it has been cleaned.

Bob

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac ,Xp Deus, Ctx 3030, Vanquish 440 X 2, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Nice finds,

I love those early large cents. You got a nice site to hunt there. Those 3 centers are tough to come by also.

HH Jer

Fish-Gate

Jan 10, 2006
Huntington, Indiana, USA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've had good success boiling a blackened silver coin in water with baking soda added (advice from other forums). It takes very little time for it to be removed, and leaves no noticable scratches/stains. However, the coin will not have a single dark spot on it - making it look very cleaned. Coin dealers use tricks to fix this - electralysis of an old copper coin TO the silver (making it darker all over). Then lightly rub off the highlights with leather. This all sounds difficult, so practice on something else first if you even consider it.

The Seeker

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2005
Keep on Digging!
Detector(s) used
MINELAB Explorer-II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is an Excellent site you have there.....Plenty of early coins and Buttons.......Great Job!

I also have a nice method to remove that black on Silver as well as cleaning Sterling silver.....

You will need:

Borax
Table Salt
Glass bowl
Plastic Spoon
Aluminum foil

First you need to line the bowl with a piece of foil, make sure you have it pressed in the bowl good.....next Boil some water not much ...But enough to pour in the bowl ( about an Inch or so) after you have the boiling water in the bowl , take (1 ) table spoon of Borax...Pour it in the bowl and the same for the Table salt...( 1) table spoon...when both are in the bowl , just mix the solution nice and easy not to spill the solution...When you see it dissolved ....Put the silver coin on the plastic spoon and lower it in the solution for a few minutes....then remove it and very slightly rub the coin. I use a very fine brush but you can also use your fingers and just rub it slightly. Repeat as needed. I some times have to put the coin in a few times and have let some coins soak as long as 10 minutes......!!!

Below is a Barber dime that I cleaned ...you can see the difference!

hope this helps!!

The Seeker

Attachments

• Finds 1-04-05 H-Creek 002 Medium Web view.jpg
    Finds 1-04-05 H-Creek 002 Medium Web view.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 1,475
  • Finds 1-04-05 H-Creek 002 Medium Web view.jpg
    Finds 1-04-05 H-Creek 002 Medium Web view.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 1,481
  • Finds 1-04-05 H-Creek 004 Large Web view.jpg
    Finds 1-04-05 H-Creek 004 Large Web view.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 1,468

DigDugNY

Bronze Member
Aug 19, 2006
New York
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur 2, Fisher F75, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very Very nice :) :) :)

mountainman 2

Bronze Member
Aug 9, 2006
Extreme Northern NJ
Detector(s) used
whites classic sl,whites surfmaster,garrett ATX,minelab vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some great finds there. Gotta love those early american coins.That large disc on the right,is that a button?

OP
OP
TnT2000

TnT2000

Jan 15, 2006
Easton PA
mountainman 2 said:
Some great finds there. Gotta love those early american coins.That large disc on the right,is that a button?

Yes it is, I am told it is early to mid 1800s....

Thanks for all the replies on cleaning...TnT...

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow...I didn't realize that those 3 cents were so tiny...again, nice find!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread